Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Question about Eugene Pallette as Friar Tuck in ROBIN HOOD...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,413 posts

Posted March 01 2005 - 01:53 PM

Was that actor's voice for real? In as many films as I've seen (and especially HEARD) him, I can't help but think the voice is a put-on. I can imitate it pretty faithfully with not much effort. Was this the actor's way of being distinctive and winning notice and being remembered? I've looked at various sites on the net and no one addresses this, except to say he has a "croaky" voice. Anyone know?

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Mike_S

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted March 01 2005 - 02:36 PM

I can't really shed any more light on this other than to say that the same actor played the role of a Spanish priest in the Tyronne Power movie, The Mark of Zorro and he certainly had the 'gravelly' voice in that one as well. My guess is that it was his natural voice. Very distinctive. It's great that you can mimic his voice. If I tried that, I'd go into a coughing fit! -Mike
My Home Theater

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Paul Bond

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted March 02 2005 - 02:03 AM

I've seen him in at least two other movies (My Man Godfrey - the William Powell version, and another William Powell movie - The Kennel Murder Case). That is (or was) his real 'speaking' voice. Note this item from IMDB.COM: "Gargantuan-bellied, frog-voiced character actor who was a staple in forties movies." Bond. Paul Bond.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,703 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 02 2005 - 02:35 AM

I've seen him in a number of films and his voice is always the same. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,413 posts

Posted March 02 2005 - 03:20 AM

As have I, but I still wonder if the voice was a put-on, in the same was that Harpo Marx's muteness was.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted March 02 2005 - 03:27 AM

No, he talked that way.

#7 of 13 ONLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,388 posts

Posted March 02 2005 - 02:26 PM

Real voice although he wasn't always so gargantuan-bellied. His career dated from the silent era, and in his early films he sports a much trimmer figure. Makes you wonder if he spent too much time at the Warners commissary/bar. One of the all time great character actors. Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted March 03 2005 - 12:47 AM

I thought he was at his best in The Lady Eve as Henry Fonda’s father--a role not unlike the one he played in My Man Godfrey. Very funny—and his voice was exactly the same. That couch has been there 15 years and no one ever tripped over it before.
¡Time is not my master!

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,703 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 03 2005 - 03:31 AM

Pallette played many funny characters and his voice was unique, but evidently his real life was much different. I read in a film book on actors that he was blacklisted by the major studios in the late 1940s because of his views on facism and racism. Thus, he was reduced to working for small studios on poverty row before his death in 1954. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted March 03 2005 - 04:09 AM

Pro or anti?
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,703 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 03 2005 - 08:22 AM

He wasn't preaching about loving thy brother. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted March 03 2005 - 02:07 PM

That's apparently his real voice... The "Breakdowns of 1938" blooper reel (found among the dozens of bonus features on the Adventures of Robin Hood 2-disc SE) has a few outtakes with Pallette. When gets out of character (in more ways in one, being that he was supposed to be a friar), his voice remains the same.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted March 03 2005 - 02:15 PM

That's a real shame about his politics. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users