What's new

InFocus 4805 TVAuthority Q&A (1 Viewer)

Kin

Agent
Hi All,
There has been considerable interest in the 4805 recently, and I wanted to open a general Q&A for this popular projector. It should save everyone time searching for info. If I can't answer your question, I can find someone who can.

I will also post as much information about current deals as I can. Before anybody asks, I can not post the price on the Forum. We are an authorized dealer, so we have a few rules we have to follow. You can call, or e-mail me at any time to get this info.

I will also be posting answers to frequently asked questions here.

[email protected]
1(888)286-5353 Ext 522

Kin

Agent
Some Basic deal information that is current as of today 3/1/2005.

1) The 4805 is part of our Five Star program. So you have a nice 30 day risk free evaluation period.
Five Star Program

2) There still is the mail in rebate for the free 76 inch screen and the 30 foot s-video cable. The screen is a 16:9 pull down screen that was manufactured by Draper.

Kin,

I emailed you with these questions earlier today but it probably makes some sense to have them answered for everyone at once:

1) What is the "computer cable" that comes with the 4805? I imagine it converts the M1 port into a VGA cable; if so, is the VGA end male or female?

2) How quickly does InFocus get people the screen and S-Video cable?

I'll probably have more for you soon since I came up with these two since I ordered 3 hours ago!

Thanks again,
Greg

Kin

Agent
Hi Greg,

1) The VGA cable that is included is a 15pin male plug.

2) It is a rebate, so the order has to be recieved, then processed by them. You are looking at around 6-8 weeks before you should recieve them.

Kin

Agent
Hello all,
I have had many people contact me recently (thank you all BTW). Probably the most common question is what will HD look like on the 4805. It looks great! HD simply contains more information, which equals a better image. It won't look as good as a HD projector, but for the price savings most people are very happy with it.

Lets have some feedback from proud 4805 owners! What do you think of HD on your 4805? What are you using as an HD source?

Paul-D

Stunt Coordinator
I will completely agree with Kin on this one. I have had my 4805 for maybe a month now. I live in AZ so we have Cox Communications HD. I show HD on my 4805 via a Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR box connected by Component cable. Needless to say it looks amazing. It looks so good that when we got the box with HD my wife said if she doesn't see a good enough difference, we're taking it back. Well, it's been a month now and she probably watches more HD than I do!

It's awesome baby!!

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Kim,

OK, here's one. I am now hooking the DVD player to the PJ with component. The player (pio 578) will only put out progressive to component. In a few days, comcast is comming with a high def cable box that they say has S-video and component out as choices. I do not have component switching. So either the high def cable box or the DVD player are going to have to use S-video into the 4805. My question is- will an s-video connection degrade a high def cable signal ? If so, would it likely be a bigger hit than the DVD player would take going to s-video which means no progressive.

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry

Kin, are you sure you have enough room here for us "proud 4805 owners" to gush about how much we love it? You'd think you were selling the things... What? Oh...

I get about 10 HD channels from Comcast, and they look fantastic on the 4805. My jaw dropped when I first hooked it up. Sure, the 4805's 480 lines aren't "true" HD (a typical refrain from those that haven't seen it), but it looks pretty darn good to me. I just wish there was more good HD content available, but that will happen eventually.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
My buddy has a nice Toshiba rear-projection HDTV. HD looks great on it but we both love how it looks on my 4805 also. He was shocked at the difference in price despite the great picture.

I have a question Kin: If the 4805's color wheel starts whining who do we talk to about the warranty; you or Infocus?

Kin

Agent
Brian Fellmeth,
I wouldn't want to sacrifice quality with either one. You can always pick up a component switch and take care of the dilemna that way.

Jack Ferry,
There is always room for more praise on this model! I think we all agree that it deserves it. Of course I sell these. If you had the choice, wqouldn't you talk about AV stuff all day? :)

Scott L,
InFocus has a great customer service staff. Just give them a call, and they will get you all fixed.

As a side note --- I have heard of people installing quieter fans in these projectors. Keep in mind this WILL void your warranty. If you want to start modding your PJ, wait untill after your warranty is expires, and only do so if you are qualified for the work. While these are a great deal, they most certainly are not disposable (for most of us anyway).

Thanks for all the input, guys! Keep the questions comming!

Kin was right. My 4805 came in today and I'm just about in tears of joy over the picture quality, size of the screen, ease of use, etc. Freaking amazing. My biggest complaint by far is the noise level of the fan in the projector, but that is a price I knew I was going to pay for portability, screen size, and PQ. I also have no basis of comparison with other projectors, and imagine the noise from any would be annoying.

Thank you to all for keeping up this informative board, and special thanks to Kin for the awesome deal. I have a lot to learn about HTPC, mattes, aspect ratios, tweaking, audio, etc and will be once again crawling the forums to learn as much as I can.

If you don't own one yet--buy it already.

Back to the movies.

Greg

Alan_O'C

Auditioning
Greg,
Just how loud is the fan? If you're watching somthing like say a newscast at a regular volume, can you hear the fan? I imagine you can't hear it if you're watching some action flick or somthing else loud. I keep hearing this is the main drawback to the 4085.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
The fan noise can be bothersome to some people but I think if you keep it for awhile you willblock it out. Mine drove me crazy for the first 2 weeks I had it but now I find my self never hearing it. I think it is a natural reaction to look for things wrong with something when we buy it. When we live with it those thing that we think is "wrong" disapeer.
I compare the sound of the fan to a computers cooling fan......maybe a touch quieter.
With all that said......I don't know if I would watch the news on it and stuff like that. For those things I would just watch a tube t.v. and not waste the bulb to see a 5 foot version of Dan Rather's head.

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
No, you definitely can't hear it during a loud movie. You really won't notice it during quiet movies either. It's like hearing a little air from your house A/C unit through the vent shaft or something.

I've got mine positioned directly behind/beside the seating, less than a foot from the viewer's ear, and when I'm sitting there I forget about it almost immediately, even during quiet movies.

Well, after about six hours straight of watching movies and Twin Peaks episodes, I can honestly say I didn't notice the noise at all. I agree with Evan, when we pull something new out of a box we want to be happy with it but chances are we're going to criticize anything that's not perfect. The noise is there but it was very easy to forget about even though I'd say I'm sensitive to it.

The 4805 also pumps out a pretty impressive amount of hot air. I had to open a window after a while to cool the room off. Still, the projector is amazing. Really, I am blown away and probably would've spent way more on a regular TV that would be a lot harder to move around.

I fogot to mention--I'm using a weak 2-channel stereo, projecting on a wall with all kinds of deformities, and have only a 10'x10' room to work with, but the projector is still amazing. I am looking forward to building up a nice 5.1 system, getting my free screen, and moving into a bigger apartment/house. The versatility of a projector is pretty incredible.

Greg

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, it does pump a boatload of air. I have mine in a very large room so I don't really notice an overall change in room temp, but one of my seats is directly in the exhaust path and it can be uncomfortable.

Did you know you have the same name as the DNA techie kid in CSI?

James Wis

Auditioning
I've read this forum everyday for years and for some reason I never signed up for membership.Well, I'm now a new member and this is my first post.
I am just getting ready to order the 4805 and need some information on ceiling mounting.I'm dry walling the ceiling in my home theater and using blocking in the location the projector will be mounted.For a 92"diag.screen the throw distance is 14'2".(info from projector central)
1: Is this the furthest point?
2: Is the measurement from the lens (I would think but not sure )
3:I have a dedicated switched outlet for the PJ mounter approx.8"away.Will I have a lot of power cord hanging.
Sorry for all the questions on my first post but I'm trying to cover all my bases before I hang the dry wall.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I bought my 4805 about 4 months ago sight-unseen based on the recommendations of others on this forum. It is hard for me to put into words how this projectors picture exceeded my expectations. It is great out of the box and awesome after calibrating.
It only has one downside that is rarely mentioned. The unit doesn't power down all the way when turned off. If you are mounting it out of the way be sure to put a switch on it's outlet!
Now back to the positive. I built my complete HT including the 4805, 6.1 sound, screen & seating for less than 1/2 the cost of some 60" hdtv. You can not beat the picture size and quality for the price.
My projector is mounted directly over my seating & we never notice the sound in low power mode. If you listen for it, it is similar to my Central AC or the fridge in the kitchen. When all is quiet you can hear it. During any type of movie, game or tv, I can't hear it if I try. It is noisy in high power, but I don't use it.
I haven't noticed the heat out-put being an issue, but my HT is in a cool basement.
As I stated, I bought my 4805 sight-unseen and I would recommend it to anyone. :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul-D

Stunt Coordinator
James:
congrats on becoming a member. I am going to attempt to answer your questions.
1. This IS the furthest point away that you could get a 92" picture. You can also use the calculator at infocus which can be found here.
2. YES the measurement is from the front of the lense itself.
3. I believe the power cord is about 6' long. So you will probably have some extra if your outlet is only 8" away. But you can always wrap it around your mount, or find another place for the majority of it. I have some extra power cord on my ceiling mounted pj, but have just fed the cord through the same hole I have for my video cables. I think it looks fine.

Good luck to you and keep us updated.

Users who are viewing this thread