Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Remember Dino-Riders?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted February 28 2005 - 08:12 AM

Anyone remember this? Dino-Riders was a late 80s cartoon about futuristic humans who wind up traveling back in time and ending up stuck in the Dinosaur age, they were followed by these lizard aliens who wanted their crystal. Anyways the humans and the aliens both use the dinosaurs to battle each other. They put all kinds of weapons and armour on them. For a kid this was such a great cartoon. The toys were even better Posted Image From the little searching i've done this is a pretty obscure show, and only a few seem to remember this. I found out it was made by Marvel Productions. I was wondering does anyone know who owns it now? I know some of the Marvel cartoons are now owned by Disney could Dino-Riders be part of the package as well? It would be a great show to have on DVD.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted February 28 2005 - 09:06 AM

I think Disney has it, it was packaged with reruns of Spider-man & his Amazing Friends and Robocop when last I saw it, I think it alternated with Robocop. I barely remember it but those who do remember it fondly, it only came on at like 5 AM here on Sundays.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted February 28 2005 - 01:22 PM

I remember the commercials for the toys. I don't know anything about the show, though.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted March 01 2005 - 03:08 AM

Thanks Tory well my speculation was right, I did some digging on Marvel Productions and found that they were sold to Saban so we all know who owns it now. I wonder if Disney even knows they own it? Gord or Dave any chance if you talk to Disney sometime you could mention it? It was such a great 80s cartoon for me. It would be perfect to bring it out if there was anoather Jurrasic Park movie.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,881 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 01 2005 - 04:09 AM

Yep, I actually have the first comic book lying in my closet somwhere. Along with Visionaries, this was GREAT B-level Saturday morning cartoonage.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Joe:C

Joe:C

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted March 01 2005 - 05:18 AM

For a minute I thought you were talking about Dinosaucers. Does anyone remember that show? I remember the Dino-Rider toys, but the only episode I can remember watching is the pilot. Didn't Chris Latta(Starscream,Cobra Commander) do one of the voices? I seem to remember his voice as one of the snake guys.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted March 02 2005 - 02:47 AM

Nope sorry don't remember Dinosaucers, was it on at the same time as Dino-Riders?

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Joe:C

Joe:C

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted March 03 2005 - 05:16 PM

Nope sorry don't remember Dinosaucers, was it on at the same time as Dino-Riders?

They were on around the same time. Dinosaucers had a 65 episode run while it looks like Dino-Riders only got 13 episodes. I don't think Dinosaucer toys were released either. Here's an intro from TV Tome.

"Welcome to the Dinosaucers guide at TV Tome. For those of you who don't know, Dinosaucers, a late 80s cartoon, featured a fleet of anthropomorphic dinosaurs from a planet called Reptilon. The Dinosaucers fought for the good of their homeworld, and the Tyrannos fought for domination of it. When the planet suffered because of the wars, the battle came to earth, where the Dinosaucers teamed up with four young humans, who became their "secret scouts" in the new world"

Dinosaucers

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 02:07 PM

I don't think Dinosaucer toys were released either.

This site as a ton of info and pictures of the planned Dinosaucer toys.
In the 1980's, numerous toy lines were produced. Some toy lines were lucky enough to have a television series that coincided with the toy sales. One of these toy lines was Dinosaucers. Sadly the television show didn't fair to well, and the huge toy lineup was never produced. The toys were originally planned to be released in 1987 by Galoob and were shown at Toyfair. Though Galoob was extremely close to production, they chose to stop their plans of Dinosaucers dead in its tracks.

Unlike other toy lines where just a few test figures were created, Galoob had a full green light in making the toys. The Dinosaucers had over 16 types of action figures, space ships and even a playset.

Dinosaucers did not end in 1987. Though the line was never produced in North America or Europe, Galoob needed to make money off the work they produced into the line. Galoob sold the molds and toys to a company in Brazil called Glasslite. Glasslite produced five of the eight Dinosaucers 8" figures! The figures were in excellent quality and came boxed. The notion of a few of the toys being produced should make any Dinosaucers fan grin.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 06:56 AM

Thanks Jeff & Joe. I was watching anoather episode this weekend it had such a great idea. It's too bad it's not even on tv anymore. This show would be perfect for a remake. I hope the DVDs come eventually.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 04:52 AM

I emailed Disney and asked about this. They said they don't own it. But i'm sure they do because it's part of the Marvel Action Universe and I know Disney bought it. Is it possible that Disney owns so much stuff like Saban or the Marvel shows they don't know they have. Gord could ask Disney about this? I was thinking too it be great to release if anoather Jurrasic Park movie came out.