What's new

Peter Jennings Seeing is Believing: UFOs (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'm soliciting feedback on Thursday's special here because I am interested in hearing opinions on the quality of the program from people who AREN'T regular posters on alien encounter message boards.

Anyone see it and have opinions on the quality?

I know that your comments are of interest to those who produced it.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I thought it was okay. It just seemed like a summary of all of the UFO specials that have aired. It didn't provide much further insight for me.

~T

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I recorded it (although I missed the first several minutes) and watched it with my wife. What we saw, we thought was fairly well done. We don't usually watch these things, but even so, there were few revelations here. The "lights in the sky" footage was interesting as were the eyewitness accounts by veteran pilots. The "behind the scenes" history of Project Blue Book was handled well. I was not familiar with this most recent explanation of the Roswell coverup (i.e. protecting the secrecy of a military scientific project), but the evidence presented here seemed logical to me.

I did not like the Art Bell material or the "alien abduction" stories. Neither added much to the proceedings, IMO. And, I won't even bring up that stupid "Alien Autopsy" crud...

BTW, what's up with all the D.R. (direct response) ads that ABC ran during this telecast? I know it's a news documentary and all, but I don't recall ever seeing so many of these commercials in a first-run network broadcast. Was ABC unable to line up any sponsors?

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Thought it was alright as well, but nothing special and I like Peter Jennings.

Like Thi said, it seemed like a summary of stuff we have already seen before. I liked the red herring type stories though, combined with the animation to finally reveal the logical explanation. But overall, I nothing really grabbed me.

There was a special, can't remember which station but probably Discovery, about Area 51 which was a lot more interesting and uncovered more mysteries, as well as creating new ones. It was also more of a doc following this one guy but it had a lot of undercover investigating that gave the show plenty of substance.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed the first hour or so. I don't really watch any UFO specials so most of this stuff was new to me. I think I wanted to see why Jennings would be doing a UFO special. Anyhoo, it inspired me to watch the National Disclosure Project's press conference from 2001. That was very interesting as well.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I liked the new animation of the sightings, but that's about it, because I usually catch all the other shows on Discovery and History Channel and there simply isn't that much new stuff out there to report on these days.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
if you never have seen anythng about ufo's the this would have been interesting.

but if you have been a follower of ufo specials over the years, you have seen everything that was on this show.

so, no new info, and nothing all that interesting because of that.

relatively useless show.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I have to agree with Tony.

Just a nicely presented rehash of the same old interviews and stories.

I was hoping for at least some recent videos etc...I can't believe that with the new camera technology out there now, that NOBODY has captured some amazing UFO video.

Seems new info has dried up in the last 5-10 years.

RyanJM

Grip
Seemed fairly stupid. Not much point in discussing UFO activity until something definitive arises. Anything before that is just fuzzy pictures and flashing lights.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's really starting to irritate me when these types of shows claim to present new evidence that will somehow convince the world that ufo's exsist...and then regurgitate the same thing we already know.

Theirs a show on the sci-fi channel like this called Proof Positive were they don't prove anything in the end! They just present 3 stories and then make lame attempts to prove them, and they don't go deep enough 99.99% of the time. One's that they can't prove (after making the aformentioned lame attempt) they dismiss it with "in this case, I guess we'll never know..." :rolleyes

At least the guys on Ghost Hunters make a real effort to either prove or disprove the exsistance of a haunting. When they aren't busy bitching at Brian at every turn that is. Fans of the show will know what i'm talking about, they treat that poor kid like shit. :laugh:

I don't want to get all 'Fox Mulder' on you, but I believe in life on other planets, and yes I believe that we have been visited, but spare me these shows that waste my time like this one.

DonRC

Stunt Coordinator
The most logical explanation, of course, is that as cameras have become better that which was previously "unidentified" is now identifiable - and regrettably mundane.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Thank you. This feedback has been good and as I said I know at least one of the people who helped produce the show has checked in to read the comments.

Does anyone have an opinion on how such a program could have been outstanding? Is it even possible to make an outstanding program on this subject? If so, how?

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
It was the same old stories with a credible face (Peter Jennings). I've seen most of the specials about UFOs and of course I recognized the Phoenix story but I'm suprised they didn't mention the Mexico City one that happened in the 90s that was similar to what happened in Phoenix. Did it make me think about the possibility of aliens? No. I was young when that FOX special aired in '94. I was scared then because I thought it was real, but that was then.

I thought this show would have been about aliens in general and how they may have visited us in the past with the stories of the Anicent Egyptions and Peruvians. Instead it was just about spaceships in America.

Although that thing they mention about people thinking they've been abducted, the open eye REM dreaming. That has happened to me. Last year I felt like I couldn't move and I could hear myself snoring (I admit it :frowning: ) and my eyes were wide open. It was dark but I can see light in the hallway. I saw a shadow standing there and then the lights were on and it was my brother. He woke me up saying that my eyes were open but I sounded like I was asleep. Weird isn't it.

I remember when I was younger (before the alien autopsy video) I used to think aliens were real thanks to the X-Files. That theme music was enough to make my skin crawl. I used think that any flashing light in the sky was a spaceship.

I'm glad I'm not naiive anymore. But I still wish that the program covered more than just sightings. Although I did enjoy the piece on Blue Book.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

It helps to first have an "outstanding" subject. In this case, no such luck. I caught the final hour of it (by accident; I didn't even know the show was on). It was amazing: retreading the same retreaded "events" yet again -- but, this time, on one of the four major broadcast networks.

My thinking: Why did Jennings even involve himself with this? And, also, what about those ads that one associates with local television ("Buy now for only $19.95 and get a second one for FREE!").

DonRC

Stunt Coordinator
It could have been replaced by an episode of The X-Files, which at least admits to being fiction.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Alright, so maybe I WILL get a little Fox Mulder on you for a moment or two.

I don't understand how anyone can either confirm or deny the exsistance of other planetary life. We as human's haven't even scratch the surface of what may or may not be out their.

Usually when someone like myself defends the possibility of life on world's other than ours, the detractors always come in, which I suspect they will here, with science and physics and explanations on why they think it isn't possible and how science has "proven" that it can't be so.

You know what though, that's all bullshit, because again, we don't know everything, were not even close. This is the question that I often ask when someone makes a statement like Don's above, we're here aren't we, why can't their be another race of higher beings someplace else?

Now, having said that, I still cannot say yes to the possibility, but, unlike a lot of closed minds (relax, i'm not saying yours is, Don), I cannot say no either.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
John, no one here is saying that life on other planets is not possible (we do not know; it may be abundant in the Universe -- or it may not). But what we feel pretty darn sure about is that "UFOs" are not "evidence" of our "being visited" by otherworldly beings.

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
The only way I'd be tempted to watch something like this is if it was hosted by someone like physicist Brian Greene (today's closest analog to Carl Sagan, in terms of popular presentation of real science), and the discussion featured a strong element of what would actually be required for any of these "sightings" to be real. In other words, instead of working backwards from usually flawed or incomplete (to put it mildly) evidence, talk about the actual scale of distances and other challenges an alien civilization would have to overcome just to get to Earth, how they might possibly do so, and whether any of what we "see" fits into that framework. Of course, that's not a really sensational type show, but I trust the network marketing types could do tart it up somehow. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks