What's new

The Star Wars Prop Replica and High-End Collectibles Collecting Thread. (1 Viewer)

STARKILLER1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Lou
I am starting this thead, at the suggestion of fellow HTF member Mark, to discuss high-end Star Wars collecting (Master Replicas, Gentle Giant Studios, Code 3 Collectibles, Sidshow Collectibles, etc.) with fellow members of this forum.
With ROTS due soon, these companies are coming out with some amazing product, product that not everyone may know about, and one that I am particularly excited about is the Darth Vader Studio Scale Helmet. The helmet was cast directly from the same mold used in EPIII. Also, the interior will feature the exact same material that was used for Hayden when he wore the helmet. For anyone who has been looking for an exact Vader helmet replica, you know that one has been near impossible to find, and the prices for these pieces is usually very high. As of now, some retailers are expecting the MR Vader helmet to be around $800-$900 which is not too bad considering the source this mold is from and it is an officially licensed product.
For those interested in pics, check out the Rebelscum 2005 Toy Fair pics. Just click on Master Replicas.
:D

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thanks for starting this thread!
:)
What you say about finding screen accurate DV helmets is true. Purchasing officially licensed Darth Vader helmets that are screen accurate, thus far, has not been possible.
I have owned three different high end DV Helmets:
1) Don Post "Classic Action" thick vinyl helmet
2) Don Post deluxe fiberglass numbered limited helmet
3) Fan made fiberglass helmet.
The Don Post Classic action helmet suffered from a warped or "flared" neck as Vader helmet people used to say. Also the billet sensors (aka “tusks”) were plastic and did not resemble the film ones in the least in terms of surface or, really, shape. Also, the helmet did not have the two-tone, gun metal & black surface of the original in the films.
While Don Post claimed this was from the same mold used for EPV, the way the crown attached to the dome was not how it was as seen in several books on the original Star Wars trilogy (Star Wars Chronicles, page 277).
The Don Post Fiberglass Deluxe helmet did have the same mask-to-dome attachment "donut" so it seems that that helmet was cast from the same molds as the EPV screen used helmets. However, there was some distortion, and the higher the number of your helmet (it seems they were numbered in correlation with their place in the production), the greater the distortions in the neck.
Also, even though this helmet did have the gun metal grey & black two tone schemes, it was reversed from how it was seen in the films. (Apparently Lucas didn't want anyone selling these to claim that they were screen used props.) Anyway, they also had cast billet sensors rather than aluminum machined ones, as seen in the original trilogy.
This last thing is a minor quibble, but the lines and features on the mask were not as sharp or clean as they were in the originals.
Sadly, the best made Darth Vader helmets thus far have been a few of the fan-made ones...often by professional mold makers who, somehow, got a hold of a good DV helmet that was "on tour" or was borrowed from someone who owned an original, screen used one. Unfortunately, which fan made copy is the best is up for some debate and it also depends on whether one desires the helmet as it looked in EPIV, EPV, or EPVI, because each film used slightly modified helmets.
(The Celtic Touch version is the one that has impressed me the most personally, but I have always wanted an official product and not a fan made item...)
(Note to moderators: Lucasfilm is well-aware of these fan-made helmets; Lucas himself invited Bob "Vader Painter" Bean (who has a a fan made and modified DV costume and is known for selling modified DV costume parts) to be the Darth Vader for the Star Wars symphony performance.)
Anyway, when I noticed that the Star War Trilogy DVD set had a documentary regarding the making of the Vader helmet for EPIII, I was excited to see that they had finally made a new helmet and make one that is symmetrical, though; our faces are not perfectly symmetrical either. I liked that original trilogy DV helmets were more imperfect like the man hidden beneath.
Anyway, I had hoped that they would release a DV helmet that was of a higher standard of quality. Sadly, up til now, they had proved me wrong by allowing Rubies to take over the molds from Don Post Studios after he lost the license. Rubies, late last year, released a new deluxe fiberglass DV helmet that was limited. It retailed for about $1,000.00, and frankly, looked so warped, I cannot imagine buying one. Yes, it is that same old mold Don Post had, but the distortions had dramatically increased and now even the sides of the dome flair in some awkward fashion! And, it had all of the less-than-accurate to screen issues the Don Post helmet had before it: the reversed paint scheme and cheap looking billet sensors.
Along my Vader collecting way, I purchased a Master Replicas DV EPIV saber, and was very impressed with the craftsmanship. Then I noticed they were selling an AT-AT, and I was wishing they would be given the chance to do Vader's helmet.
Now today, Louie made some side comment, and I am thrilled!
As for the pricing, I would be pleasantly surprised to see it sell for $800-$900, but maybe they see how poorly the Rubies one has sold and don't know why. (Yes, it is the price point, but no one wants to spend big bucks on a helmet that looks as warped as the Rubies one.) Maybe they will do away the low edition size and make the "fan made" helmet markets go away. Increasing the edition size would lower the price (A higher edition size = lower price per unit cost, after all.), and maybe they also fear that if people want a DV helmet, they would prefer one made to match the original trilogy. I only hope they don't continue the pattern of reversing the gun-metal and black sections of the mask...the images at rebel scum (thanks Louie) don't reveal any gun-metal pattern. Honestly, I would prefer it not be there at all then have it reversed. At least then it would be easier to have that auto body painter just add it, as I had him do with my other ones.
Oh, and I have ordered the Gentle Giant Darth Vader and the Sideshow one. The only thing that bothers me from the prototype for the Sideshow one is that the arms look "soft", and tubular as opposed to sensing arms (or even an elbow) under the leather. The facial features on the mask continue to look too "boxy" to me, as thy have on the earlier Gentle Giant DV mini-bust, and the Attacus DV statues, but at least I know if, when they arrives, if it continues to bother me, I can sell them on eBay and use the money to fund the purchase of the MR Vader helmet! :)
Thus far, the best looking DV face on the small scale has been on that soft vinyl Kotobukiya one that sells for about $50-$110.00. I was so impressed I bought two.
Thanks again, Louie! You made my day!
Mark

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Well the Sideshow Vader is still in the 'prototype' phase- the Luke and Han figures both eventually underwent not one but two drastic facelifts(if I remember right) for the better and I'm hoping the same happens for Vader, I'm not thrilled with how he looks currently.

If he does not improve dramatically I will cancel

STARKILLER1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Lou
The DV EPIII helmet will be my first 1:1 scale purchase for helmets. I have always wanted to get into collecting those, but I wanted an officially licensed product, and unfortunately Rubies was the only game in town. I almost bought an SDS Studios Stormtrooper helmet, but when I mentioned my plan, other collectors talked me out of it. I am glad I waited because I was hoping either Sideshow or MR would be able to do helmets, and it now looks like my hopes have been answered. The EPIII Clonetrooper helmets have me excited as well, especially at the bargain price or $250-$350. As for the price of the MR Vader helmet, secondary dealers have been saying it will retail somewhere between $800-$900. Considering the price for non-licensed Vader helmets, I consider this a steal too.

Regarding the Sideshow and GG Vader statue's, I had both on preorder, but ultimately I had to make a choice to go with one line; otherwise, I would be buying everything both companies put out. So, I am sticking with GG's 1/6 scale statue's and 7"scale statue diorama's. No doubt the SS Vader is going to kick ass. I don't think anyone could go wrong with either line.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Louie, what is wrong with the AA/SDS helmets?
I replica made by the guy who made the originals seems like a win/win situation..
I did check out www.starwarshelmets.com
and he seemed to be impressed.
The way you talked about needing to go with either Sideshow or Gentle Giant make me think of my own situation: I have limited myself in a different way. I decided to limit myself just to Vader and not all of Star Wars high-end items or my credit cards will never recover from the abuse!
Yes, that Rubies helmet, even in the promo picks looks bad. I feel ashamed for Lucasfilm for approving that.
I will be waiting for MR to pre-sell the Vader helmet. I hope they get to do the EPV helmet as well. I also have to say, having just visited the RebelScum forums for the first time, I am surprised how many people are complaining about the $899 price point for the MR Darth Vader helmet. As you said, based on what we saw for prices on the Don Post Deluxe, the Rubies abomination, and even QUALITY fan-made ones, I figure I am saving about $100, and getting an offically-licensed product.

STARKILLER1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Lou
Mark: I don't think anything's wrong with the SDS Stormie helmet at all. The pics of it look awesome, but I am still more interested in officially licensed product, and that is why other collectors told me to hold off since MR might be diving into costumed props. I know that there are come collectors (snobs) who really bad mouth the SDS, but personally, I don't think a collector could go wrong with either one. I've checked ou Bingo Bongo's site as well when I was looking at getting into helmets. It's a great and informative site.

It's amazing. The Rubies Vader retails for $1000-$1200 and the better "un-official" helmets can go for $1200-$2000 on eBay, yet MR is going to put out a Vader helmet that has been cast from the very same mold that was used to make the helmet for EPIII (including inner detail) for much less, and collectors are still bitching. I'm always on the look out to save money, but the bottom line is it does take money to play the high-end game, and people have to be willing to pay to play. If I can't afford it, I won't buy it...plain and simple; but, I sure as hell won't knock the product or price. IMO, the $900 would be a steal for the MR Vader helmet.

I bet you're happy, as a collector of all things Vader, with the helmet, Vader ROTS saber replica, and statue's from both SS and GG coming this year.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Louie, oh, I understand.
Chazz,
Yes, SS better really redo that Vader face. I never understand why it is so hard for sculptors to get the likeness right. It doesn't have the issues nearly as complicated as a "face," and really, just looking at the RebelScum photos, it looks really slap-dash as a prototype.
The bridge of the nose is wrong, the billet sensors are big ol knobbies, and the cheeks are much too large, boxy, and not angular enough.
Over at RebelScum, the buzz is that while SS's Vader has sold out, one reason it took so long for just those 2000 to sell out, is that once people got good looks at the 2005 NY Toy Fair, they cancelled their orders. Personally, I think that is foolish, but I hope it sent a message: redo the face.
Personally, I already know I prefer the GG scuplture for a few reasons, one of those being I am not a fan of using real fabric on small scale figures. Cloth does not minitatureize, and tends to make this look more cheesy as opposed to a piece that is all stone.
Let's hope for the best.
-mw

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Perhaps an answer to the SS vader is medicoms release scheduled for june. MSRP $180.00 L/e of 1000
bader.jpg

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Todd,
What on-line retailers are selling that?
Funny, I almost feel like sending a jpeg of that to SS and saying, "This is what a Vader mask should look like!"
-mw

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I have only thus far found it on ebay as a preorder and some shops overseas also as preorders. Since it is a l/e of 1k I think it will sell out quick. :angry: 1/6th s/w collectors have been looking for this for years as the only ones (diff versions) ever made by Hasbro were pretty bad.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Mark I've never noticed all that about the 'face'/helmet, obviously you know the intricate details of the helm quite well by now due to your helm replica collecting, so I'll take your word for it.
My concerns were more around the body/arms etc. Something just didn't look quite right. And I'm with you, I'm no fan of fabric BUT on a huge 1/4 scale figure, the issue of scale is a lot less of a problem than it would be on 1/6 I imagine. Anyway I just looked on SS's page and I think this is a new pic? I don't recall seeing it before:
7117_image02.jpg

Certainly looking better there. At any rate, from my experience Sideshow isn't one to just slap a big 'prototype' tag on anything for kicks, I have a very good feeling that the end result will be improved. I'm hoping it ends up being the definitive Vader statue/figure!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Chazz-

That doesn't look any better to me. The eyes are way too round where they meet the bridge of the nose, which is completely lacking in any sharpness. The jaw jetts out, and the undergrill cuts back much too much.

I decided I better send my own message to SideShow, rather than hoping they knew why so many had either cancelled their pre-orders once the images were posted, or didn't order it in the first place:

Sent to SideShow:

I know that your Darth Vader is a prototype, but I guess I am just begging to find out that the final mask is going to look nothing like how it looks now. Honestly, the dimensions, shapes of the lenses, overly large billet sensors, jutting jaw, and facial details in general are so disproportioned that I cannot even imagine anyone felt confident enough to display it, even with the "prototype" disclaimer. My 12," $80.00 Koto sculpture has more accurate facial features, and you folks are much more skilled and talented than them! Most of your human figures are better than anyone other collectable maker. Han Solo really looks like Han Solo!

Why is Vader so tough to get a decent likeness?!?!

Please tell me the face is getting a complete overhaul.

With the best of intentions,

Mark

END NOTE.

I don't mean to sound crankly, but I would be embarrased to be a high-end collectable maker and show that as a $350 statue, even with the prototype disclaimer.

We'll see what happens.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Louie,

Isn't Napavine not too far from a place called Vader?

(I always pass your neck of the woods on my way to Seattle.)

STARKILLER1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Lou
Yeah it is actually. :D
I didn't know there was a town named Vader when we first started looking at houses down here. One day we went to look at a house in Mossyrock and I saw the sign for Vader. I was like WTF? We held off looking at other houses so that we could concentrate on looking in Vader, but unfortunately there was nothing available. Believe me though, I tried my best to find something in Vader, and yeah it would have been cool to have that as an address, but ultimately I am very happy with our home in Napavine. Nice and quiet. :D

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Thanks! Trust me, those pics don't do 'em justice. I work mainly with stryrene, resin, and vinyl. I add tons of my own detail to every one of my models for the sake of getting them to look like my reference material, and most of the time I end up totally reworking a kit.

STARKILLER1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Lou
No doubt the pics don't do them justice. That's some serious talent man. :)
Also, for anyone who has ordered the GG C-3PO statue, it looks like it's going to start shipping soon. Can't wait to get mine. :D

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Jeff,
Those are COOL! I bought the ERTL/MPC Darth Vader's TIE Fighter, the MF, and an X-Wing, because I was feeling particularly geeky, and wanted to hang them with fishing wire from the ceiling in my office.
I bought two DV TIE fighters, because I knew I wanted one to practice with before I made a "real" one.
I figured the MF model was lacking in many of the details of the original, and it is good to know I can buy other parts for it.
SWEEEEEEEEEEET!
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread