Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Incredibles Is, Well...Just Incredible!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#1 of 62 OFFLINE   Michael Lee

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor

• 652 posts

Posted February 26 2005 - 06:59 AM

Coming from a digital source, you would expect Pixar's movies to look stellar. The Incredibles keeps the tradition going in grand style. This DVD looks so amazing..outshining just about any other animation I have seen on DVD thus far. The colors are bright and bold(and all of the subtleties of various shades are evident). I saw no banding or EE on my set up. The Dolby Surround EX mix is also very effective in immersing one in the action. This is now one of my top-shelf showcase DVDs.

There are tons of extras. One heavily promoted feature is a new short, "Jack-Jack Attack". I haven't had the time to check out any of the supplements yet, but be assured there is a plethora.

#2 of 62 OFFLINE   Kyle_D

Kyle_D

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted February 26 2005 - 07:12 AM

Great to hear, as I expected nothing less from Pixar. IGN's review mentioned the video had some problems with the reds and the audio didn't pack as much LFE as wanted. The disc comes out right before my spring break, so I'll get to see for myself on my dad's setup. The reviews at IGN have been a little extreme lately anyway.

Anyway, this is definitely my most anticipated DVD of the next few months and it's wonderful and reassuring to hear the presentation lives up to Pixar's reputation.

#3 of 62 OFFLINE   Andy Patrizio

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator

• 136 posts

Posted February 26 2005 - 08:32 AM

A little "extreme?" What does that mean?

I saw jagged aliasing all around Dash's body in some scenes. Couldn't believe it. Checked it twice to make sure after I blew it with the Taxi transfer. The problem was there.

#4 of 62 OFFLINE   david*mt

david*mt

Second Unit

• 306 posts

Posted February 26 2005 - 09:05 AM

IGN's reviews are never reliable anymore. Just look at the video scores they gave the LOTR trilogy. Here are two reviews at the Spot and dvdmg:

http://www.hometheat....?sequence=1076

http://dvdmg.com/incredibles.shtml

#5 of 62 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,249 posts

Posted February 26 2005 - 09:58 AM

Quote:
the audio didn't pack as much LFE as wanted.

Posted Image Granted, we all have different ideas of how much bass is enough, but I thought Incredibles offered PLENTY of low-end. No way I'd criticize it in the bass department!
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#6 of 62 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 26 2005 - 10:33 AM

Two words: Easter Eggs.

Happy hunting!

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 62 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,350 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted February 26 2005 - 10:39 AM

When is this released?
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#8 of 62 OFFLINE   Kyle_D

Kyle_D

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted February 26 2005 - 11:00 AM

Andy-

I can't comment on The Incredibles since I haven't seen the disc yet. There may very well be aliasing.

My comment regarding "extreme" stems most recently from the score given to the Ray transfer. Sure the colors were washed out, but that was perfectly representative of what I saw in the theater, and many on this forum seemed to agree. Except for some edge enhancement, the transfer itself was relatively sound.

Quote:
There is only one word for this transfer: shameful. Since I've started reviewing DVDs, I've seen good, bad and adequate transfers, but this is the first disc that actually made me angry.

That quote, from IGN's Ray review, is what I mean by "extreme." Similar comments of overreaction in other reviews have furthered this impression. I still visit the site everyday though, and usually I find myself in agreeance with the site's reviews, which might end up being the case with The Incredibles. In fact, I thought your Incredibles review was one of the site's best, most objective and comprehensive yet.

The only reason I questioned it is because every once in awhile the site seems to (in my opinion) overly criticise a disc for a problem nobody else seems to notice or be bothered by (i.e. the video on Ray, the audio on Heat). Other members here might note some instances of the opposite occuring.

Again, the majority of the time I find your reviews agreeable (especially regarding the current Buena Vista/Miramax filtering fiasco) and I regularly check the site for updates. It just seems that there are some occasional discrepancies between IGN's reviews and those of other sites.

#9 of 62 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted February 26 2005 - 12:45 PM

Anybody know if the Brazillian version has an English DTS-ES track?

Disney gave them a home theater DTS mix for The Lion King... the bums!!

Dan

#10 of 62 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,844 posts

Posted February 26 2005 - 01:34 PM

March 15th is the release date.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#11 of 62 OFFLINE   Benson R

Benson R

Supporting Actor

• 741 posts

Posted February 27 2005 - 07:27 AM

I know the release date for this is the 15th, but I saw in todays paper that *store name deleted* was advertising this as available this Tuesday the 1st for 12.99 ( it might only be for their new Woodbridge store at that price, I think the ad was unclear).

For those not in the area, *store name deleted* is a chain electronics retailer in the nj/ny area that took over most of the old Nobody Beats the Wiz locations.

I hope I am not violating rules by posting this, and if it is a mistake on their part it might not even be on the shelves that day since they are a respectable retailer. (Admin note - store name deleted)

I just thought this might be of interest because if one major retailer puts out a big release early, sometimes others see that as a signal for everyone to beat street date on it.
XBL Gamertag: PVT Hicks

#12 of 62 OFFLINE   AlexBC

AlexBC

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted February 27 2005 - 08:18 AM

Dan, the specs for the Brazilian release aren't complete yet, but unfortunately I believe this time we won't get the DTS track. As it happened with Aladdin, no NTSC region got a DTS track, not even Japan.
Support the use of seamless branching on Sony BDs to always present the original theatrical cut along with the extended/alternate versions

http://www.avsforum.....3#post10265263

#13 of 62 OFFLINE   Andy Patrizio

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator

• 136 posts

Posted February 27 2005 - 07:00 PM

Let's hear it for Brad Bird. He's got himself a shiny gold statue for The Incredibles.

#14 of 62 OFFLINE   Greg_D_R

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted February 27 2005 - 07:33 PM

I was very happy to see Brad Bird take the stage. In a better world, The Incredibles would've taken Best Picture, because I honestly believe it was the best thing to come out of Hollywood last year.

#15 of 62 OFFLINE   David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted February 28 2005 - 02:18 AM

I want an Incredibles pin like he had on his Tux...anyone know where I can get one?

#16 of 62 OFFLINE   Kyle_D

Kyle_D

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted February 28 2005 - 03:05 AM

Great to see Bird win. Posted Image That and Charle Kauffman's win (and his acceptance speech that could have been dropped right into one of his "Adaptation" voice-overs) helped make Scorsese's snub a litttle more bearable.

Now I just hope they don't delay the DVD at the last minute so thay can plaster "Winner of the Academy Award for Best Animated Film" all over the packaging. :wink:

#17 of 62 OFFLINE   Andy Patrizio

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator

• 136 posts

Posted February 28 2005 - 10:32 AM

In a better world, The Iron Giant would have gotten the acclaim it deserves.

#18 of 62 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted February 28 2005 - 11:14 AM

I just watched the version for commercial release last night on an Electrohome 8500 CRT FP setup and didn't see any hint of noise or aliasing. Perhaps the rapid body motion was causing some effects on people's displays? There are some excellent black level scenes on this disc (great for CRT owners). Overall, I would recommend the movie and the presentation.

#19 of 62 OFFLINE   Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted February 28 2005 - 01:46 PM

Quote:
I was very happy to see Brad Bird take the stage. In a better world, The Incredibles would've taken Best Picture, because I honestly believe it was the best thing to come out of Hollywood last year.

I agree.

#20 of 62 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted February 28 2005 - 01:57 PM

In a better world, The Iron Giant would have gotten the acclaim it deserves.

The Iron Giant received huge acclaim. Absolutely rave reviews and strong word of mouth.

It simply wasn't supported by upper management, who had just crashed and burned with their in-house Quest for Camelot and the terrible pick-up, King and I. They didn't want to be in the feature animation business after all, and so therefore they didn't want to "waste money" promoting The Iron Giant. By the time the word started getting out about how good it was, the film was already gone from theaters.

Still, it has performed very well on DVD and VHS, and its historical status as one of the best animated films of the 90's is secured beyond question. I'd like to see a 10th anniversary theaterical re-release in 2009, so people can experience The Iron Giant in a theater, with an audience.

Forum Nav Content I Follow