Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

warranty problem

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   John-Miles

John-Miles

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted February 26 2005 - 05:16 AM

Hi all, I ahvent posted ehre in quite a while, but now I am back, I recently had a problem with my Toshiba 36HFX71 tv, from time to time the screen would take on a blue tint, nothing would make this tint go away except turning the tv off and then turning it on again.

So I called up the store I bought it from they came and picked up the monster tv. I told them no rush on it as I am in calgary till march 4th. So a few days ago I called to check on the progress and they told me that the green picture tube needs to be replaced.

HOWEVER that tube is no longer in production. I have an extended warranty but aparently the extended warranty company is in the drivers seat on this and MAY find a replacement tube somewhere (no longer in production dosent mean none left around) or I may need a whole new tv. Now my question is how are they likely to treat me if I need a new TV?

As I see it I have 3-4 options, 1 they say well the tv was 2 1/2 years old so its worth 500 od the 3200 you paid, here you go enjoy. they may replace it with 34" widescreen, they may replace ti with a Sony 36 HS model, or they would replace it with something bigger like a Toshiba 44" DLP.

Personally I hop they dont try to give me a depriciated value for the tv, cause right now its not in my budget to drop another 2000 on a tv.

If they replace it with a 34" widescreen tv well thats significantly smaller than the tv i initially bought, and since most of my viewing is non HD tv and video games I ahve to live with a smaller stretched image most of the time.

Replacing ti with a SONY HS model, well that give me pretty much what I had before but if I am not mistaken the HS model Sony's dont exactly stack up in terms of PQ and features to the Toshiba Cinema Series.

And the final alternative I can see would be somethign like the Toshiba 44" DLP its not a 4:3 as I would prefer, and its not a CRT as I would prefer, but its the same price as my tv was when i bought it and well if you cant ahve the aspect ratio you want at least I have somethign bigger right?

So opinions what do you think they will try to give em what should i fight for? where would you draw the line?
Cheers

John