Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

anybody run NHT T5s?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   kurtZoom

kurtZoom

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted February 25 2005 - 05:26 AM

If you run the T5's up front with the NHT X1/A1 amp...can you get by w/o a separate sub? My wife (Mrs. form over function) hates the separate sub idea...so this seems like a viable alternative. I will probably be using a Denon 3805 and use them for 60/40 movies/music. Thanks
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor

• 689 posts

Posted February 25 2005 - 07:00 AM

Doesn't the T5 have a seperate sub? You won't get the gut wrenching bass like you would with a SVS but it goes into mid 20hz range. I think you will have plenty of bass but I should be one to talk. Posted Image Since I have complete overkill biamping NHT VT2's with a Sherbourn 5/1500a PLUS a SVS. Subtract the SVS (which would be about what you would have) and I still have lots of bass. The SVS moves furniture and rattles pictures though. Posted Image
Charles

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor

• 814 posts

Posted February 25 2005 - 10:35 AM

Subs are built into the T5 system. Excellent, tight bass, very good output.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted February 25 2005 - 02:19 PM

Yeah, I have no problems whatsoever moving furniture and rattling walls with my T5s. You basically have 2 12" enclosed subs being driven by an outboard crossover and amp. See if you can test drive the Depth Charged scene from U571, and you will be astonished at the underwater blasts as they coincide with where they are in the picture. You WOULD NOT need an external sub (such as an SVS) if you were to go the T5 route.
DJ_JonnyV

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Mark Russ

Mark Russ

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted February 25 2005 - 04:17 PM

Check out the following review of the U2 (which is identical to the subs on the T5):

http://www.hedmag.co....ing-Blocks.asp

Especially take note of the following measurements:
http://www.hedmag.co....asurements.asp

Brent Butterworth measured the U2 to be 26Hz-180Hz +/-.2dB (not 2, *point 2*) with the -3dB at 21Hz and 250Hz.

I have T5s in my secondary system (with not 1, but 2 A1 amps for them), along with dual stacked SVS PB10 ISDs, and IMO, the NHT subs are better for music, while I feel the SVS subs are better for movies.

In my main system, I have T6s along with a SVS PB12-Ultra/2, and I also feel the same way on that rig as well, NHT for music, SVS for movies.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted February 25 2005 - 10:48 PM

Wonderful system, Mark. I've always wanted to try full range mains for playing music, but don't have the budget. If some money ever falls in my lap, I'd strongly consider those NHT's. If you don't mind me asking, what did you have before and what do the T6's give you that a sat/sub system doesn't?
Save the whales! Trade them for valuable prizes.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   craig_d_can

craig_d_can

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted February 26 2005 - 03:33 AM

All this talk of moving furniture...haha The accuracy of the NHT's is mindblowing. While they may not play quite as deep, they certainly do sound better within their range. 24hz isn't exactly laughable...still very deep, but it seems that 20hz is the magical number these days. -Craig

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   kurtZoom

kurtZoom

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted February 26 2005 - 06:08 AM

thanks
I guess I might be able to live with itPosted Image now if I can just get her to open the ol purse strings
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users