• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted February 24 2005 - 03:13 PM

I bought a copy of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow from an Amazon.com private seller, and I suspect it may be a pirated copy. How can I be sure?

Here's what makes me suspect it's pirated:
-- On the back (data side) of the disk, the inner and outer rings are purple. Doesn't that indicate a consumer write-once DVD, not an industrial pressed DVD?
-- The jacket, and the printed side of the DVD, have a soft, and very subtly pixelated look, that looks to me like it could be done by a very high quality consumer ink-jet printer. They don't have the more crisp, printed look that most DVDs have.
-- All four borders of the jacket are micro-perforated.
-- The plastic case looks very cheap compared to most, and it's warped. Seems weird for a major studio like Paramount.

Any thoughts? Is this DVD pirated?

Thanks,

Greg

#2 of 10 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 21,769 posts

Posted February 24 2005 - 03:18 PM

Probably. And this thread doesn't belong in the Movies forum.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#3 of 10 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted February 24 2005 - 03:18 PM

Yep, it's a boot.

#4 of 10 Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted February 24 2005 - 06:16 PM

Shopping the used section of Amazon.com now requires one to have one's B.S. detector working at full power. Posted Image

It's amazing how ballsy the bootleggers are getting.

The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#5 of 10 Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted February 25 2005 - 02:58 AM

If the cover has a very soft and subtly pixelated look to it, then it wasn't done by -- as you stated -- a very high quality consumer ink jet printer. If it looks pixelated, it wasn't done by a very high quality anything. I print original DVD covers for original DVDs using an ink jet printer and you can't tell the difference from a professional studio one and the ones I print at home.

But yes, it's a bootleg, and not a very good one at that.

#6 of 10 dan fritzen

dan fritzen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted February 25 2005 - 04:49 AM

I have sold 18 things on ebay including 4 DVD's, I always guaranteed that my auctions were not pirated or burned copies, i suggest searching out those types of sellers on ebay or amazon.
"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln how did you enjoy the show?"

#7 of 10 Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted February 25 2005 - 11:00 AM

Did you report this to Amazon? They must have a policy against pirated copies. I know Ebay does. The seller should be prevented from selling anything in the future.
Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#8 of 10 Zack_H

Zack_H

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted February 26 2005 - 09:39 AM

Purple is a copy. Retail dvds are either silver or gold.

#9 of 10 Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted February 26 2005 - 10:06 AM

If the data side is purple, that is all the proof you need that it's a bootleg. No professional, store bought DVDs have purple sides. Most likely, the movies been COMPRESSED to fit that single layer as well, resulting in a movie that looks hideous on a large screen, High Definition set.

#10 of 10 wayne-sun

wayne-sun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted February 27 2005 - 10:40 AM

I purchased a DVD off of Ebay a few months back that turned out to be a pirated copy. I reported to Ebay and they suspended the sellers account right away. I also reported it to the manufacturer and they never even returned a phone call or e-mail regarding it. I was very surprised they don't treat it more seriously but I guess it's all based on scale, a couple of DVD's on Ebay versus a few thousand or more in the far east.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users