What's new

Is this a pirated DVD? (1 Viewer)

Greg Lovern

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a copy of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow from an Amazon.com private seller, and I suspect it may be a pirated copy. How can I be sure?

Here's what makes me suspect it's pirated:
-- On the back (data side) of the disk, the inner and outer rings are purple. Doesn't that indicate a consumer write-once DVD, not an industrial pressed DVD?
-- The jacket, and the printed side of the DVD, have a soft, and very subtly pixelated look, that looks to me like it could be done by a very high quality consumer ink-jet printer. They don't have the more crisp, printed look that most DVDs have.
-- All four borders of the jacket are micro-perforated.
-- The plastic case looks very cheap compared to most, and it's warped. Seems weird for a major studio like Paramount.

Any thoughts? Is this DVD pirated?

Thanks,

Greg

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Shopping the used section of Amazon.com now requires one to have one's B.S. detector working at full power. :thumbsdown:

It's amazing how ballsy the bootleggers are getting.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
If the cover has a very soft and subtly pixelated look to it, then it wasn't done by -- as you stated -- a very high quality consumer ink jet printer. If it looks pixelated, it wasn't done by a very high quality anything. I print original DVD covers for original DVDs using an ink jet printer and you can't tell the difference from a professional studio one and the ones I print at home.

But yes, it's a bootleg, and not a very good one at that.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
I have sold 18 things on ebay including 4 DVD's, I always guaranteed that my auctions were not pirated or burned copies, i suggest searching out those types of sellers on ebay or amazon.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Did you report this to Amazon? They must have a policy against pirated copies. I know Ebay does. The seller should be prevented from selling anything in the future.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
If the data side is purple, that is all the proof you need that it's a bootleg. No professional, store bought DVDs have purple sides. Most likely, the movies been COMPRESSED to fit that single layer as well, resulting in a movie that looks hideous on a large screen, High Definition set.

wayne-sun

Agent
I purchased a DVD off of Ebay a few months back that turned out to be a pirated copy. I reported to Ebay and they suspended the sellers account right away. I also reported it to the manufacturer and they never even returned a phone call or e-mail regarding it. I was very surprised they don't treat it more seriously but I guess it's all based on scale, a couple of DVD's on Ebay versus a few thousand or more in the far east.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks