What's new

Spectreman (1 Viewer)

KennethR

Auditioning
Does anybody know if Spectreman will have an official DVD release in the US? I know it's been done in Japan and imports can be purchased, although not all of them are in English. I watched this in 1985/86 on good old WPWR, which eventually became Chicago's UPN affiliate. I think this show was far superior to Ultraman and deserves a US release.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I missed this one originally. But blind bought a bootleg version because it looked cool. I love it! I get the most nostalgia out of the original Ultraman and Space Giants, but this show is extremely enjoyable. I know the theme song by heart.

A R1 DVD please!!!

August Ragone

Auditioning
In 2002, SPECTREMAN was issued in a deluxe Limited Edition set with a 1/1-scale Spectreman helmet as the case for the jewel cased DVDs. While this is still available from some retailers in Japan, this June (2007), SPECTREMAN will be re-issued in a no-frills box set. Both sets feature the same pressings of the discs, which are amazing -- beautifully remastered video (from 16mm negatives, which were throughly corrected removing specs, dirt, dust and other flaws) and hiss-free audio.

Hopefully, a US release will come sometime in the near future... :D

August Ragone

Auditioning

I own the 2002 limited-edition set, seen in the photo below, and there are no English subs or dubbing (this is a Japanese-only release, so they English subs or dubbing would be superfluous). The English dubbing was done by the US company, Telecast International, and the English dubbing would not match the Japanese video, because the US version was extensively edited for censorship (extreme violence). Any company securing the US rights would have a helluva time syncing up the US audio with the Japanese video, that is, if the could locate the original English masters for all 63 episodes.

Still, the Japanese discs are amazing, because of insane branching features, such as being able to select and play all of the Dr. Gori scenes, all of the Overlord scenes or all of the fight scenes (each selection can be played individually or all together), interactive monster guide with clickable scenes, and the original Pilot Film with all of the cutting room floor footage. Great package and presentation -- hopefully someone will pick this up for a US edition with English subs at the very least.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That looks sweet. I'm about ready to learn the japanese language.

The bootleg version I bought includes the pilot. It's of much better visual quality than the rest of the episodes, which vary a great deal. It doesn't matter, I was very pleased with that show and the quality didn't effect my enjoyment. But I wouldn't think twice about getting an english version of superior qualtiy. I'd preorder that as soon as I could.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Man I really want a US release of this show. It's a shame BCI went out, as it seems they were tackling a slew of the Japanese giant monster shows.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I own a copy of this series and the quality is pretty good. I never saw this show in the 1970's. I think it is really good- if you like this sort of thing. I certainly do. I would love to also see Ultra 7, Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot and the Space Giants as well.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I checked Amazon Japan, and the price for the much more basic boxed dvd set is 25,000 Yen(or $318).

Certainly not a cheap set.

Andy Rampage

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Peters
Bryan^H said:
I checked Amazon Japan, and the price for the much more basic boxed dvd set is 25,000 Yen(or $318). Certainly not a cheap set.

Would YOU mind including at *link* for this?? .. if those are: "allowed".. i would very much like to have a 'look' myself!!

~ But am having a heck Of a time getting-into & searching the Japanese Amazon!! :angry:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks