Jump to content

Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

A question for the electricians out there...

  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Patrick.C


    Second Unit

  • 447 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 06 2004

Posted February 24 2005 - 05:02 AM

I didn't have enough empty slots left in my main box to power my basement, so I installed a sub panel last night. My question has to do with what size breaker and wire to run to the sub panel. I have a Cutler Hammer CH-type main panel and the largest 220 breaker that Home Depot carries is 60 amp. The largest 4 conductor wire they carry is 6 gauge. So that limits me to a 50 amp breaker. Here is what I'll be running off the panel: 65" RPTV Amp, DVD player, VCR, cable box 9 arcade video games (between 2 and 3 amps each?) 11 65 watt can lights 12 45 watt can lights mini fridge microwave sump pump/grinder Will 50 amps of service cut it? I'm sure I could carry the home theater gear and lighting, but I'm concerned with what would happen when I fire up the arcade games. Recommendations?

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   MikeTC


    Stunt Coordinator

  • 63 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 03 2000

Posted February 24 2005 - 08:26 AM

50 amp is plenty, chances are that not all devices will be on at once even the arcade stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users