Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Speaker Cable for Bryston 9b st and Nautilus 805

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   john.michael

john.michael

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted February 24 2005 - 04:44 AM

Does anyone has a recommendation for a speaker cable to be used between my Nautilus 805s and a Bryston 9B ST? I will have to make a very long run (front to back about 30ft).

I am currently thinking about the QED Silver aniversary or the Kimber 8TC. That should give you an idea of budget.

many thanks
Do not go gentle into that good night

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Greg_Hammond

Greg_Hammond

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted February 24 2005 - 12:33 PM

The difference between one brand of 99.999% oxygen free copper speaker cable and another is usually the quality of the connectors, if any, and the appearance of the jacket.

I use the semi-cheap Monster XP cable by the 100-foot roll because I like the flexibility of the jacket. If you want something that looks prettier, then by all means get what you like. It's more a matter of preference than performance.

Now, when you start talking about RCA audio and coax digital cables, there is a little more proof in the pudding. The connectors, shilding, and dielectric can vary wildly from one quality cable to another.

Greg

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor

• 504 posts

Posted February 24 2005 - 02:22 PM

haha, i love these threads!

go to a high end store, goto a lower end store. buy one of each. spend an afternoon on your weekend, try each (but make sure you get a little used to them, dont just listen for 5 minutes and switch). put them on a credit card for an easy return and let us know which you like!

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   john.michael

john.michael

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted February 24 2005 - 04:33 PM

Robert,

Unfortunatly it is not that easy as I live in Brazil ans there are not so many dealers arround with those cables.
Do not go gentle into that good night

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter

• 1,159 posts

Posted February 25 2005 - 02:42 AM

Well since you live in Rio, sell both the speakers and the amps, and whatever preamp you have and go over to Eduardo de Lima of Audiopax and purchase a full Audiopax system.Posted Image

Posted Image

As for the other suggestion, I would look to something like entry level Tara Labs or Transparent. MY experience with Bryston amps, was that I wanted something a bit closed in on the highs. With more revealing cables things got too shrill for me quickly. I know there is a dealer in Sao Paulo who sells B&W, probably one in Rio for that matter as well, but have you called them and asked for an entry level suggestion that they would mate with B&W's?