Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

More info?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted August 15 2001 - 11:38 AM

I've read about PDRs, but have yet to see them in too many stores here. Is it possible to use one as a standalone piece of hardware, or does it also involve a special service.

Currently, I'm in Waterloo, Ontario Canada, with Rogers Digital cable, and I'd like the opportunity to be able to record things digitally. Any idea where I can find out what I need to get?

Last question-what about transferring from the PDRs hard drive to a computer-can this be done? This way I can archive recorded programming on CDR...
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   JasenP

JasenP

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted August 15 2001 - 11:55 PM

Chris,

1) The Tivo unit can be used to record manually without the service, but the service is really the major benefit of owning these devices. Unfortunately, I don't know if the service is available to our friends in The Great White North.

2)With the exception of the units that are combined with a satellite receiver, the all record analog signals.

3)Getting the files directly from your unit involves an elaborate software hack. It is not easy (from what I have read) but it is possible.

Here are some resources for you:
http://www.tivofaq.com/
http://www.avsforum.....i?action=intro

Good luck, and I hope I have helped.

------------------
"Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!"

350+ Reasons why I drive A 1991 Cavalier.

You know, Fred, if you keep your sense of humor like you do, you just might make it.

The Archive

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Mike Lang

Mike Lang

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 01:27 AM

All TiVo's sold after October 2000 state that the service is required. If you won't/can't use the service, I would not recommend buying one...they are reduced to an almost unusable state without it. UltimateTV only works on Directv and ReplayTV forces you to pay for the service even if you can't use it.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 08:58 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't know if the service is available to our friends in The Great White North.
I'm afraid it isn't, according to the FAQ at the TiVo website.

Quote:
Is TiVo available in Canada?
No. The TiVo Service is not currently available in Canada. Currently, the TiVo Service is only available in the United States and in the United Kingdom.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

Forum Nav Content I Follow