What's new

RP CRT: Weird Visual Enigma (1 Viewer)

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator
I have had my Hitachi 46F500 Rear Projection CRT High-Definition TV for 11 months now. Over the past few months, I noticed a very strange occurrence when watching movie credits. Maybe someone out there has an explanation for this.

When I watch a movie, I like to mimic the theater experience as close as possible. This means that I have all the lights turned off during the viewing. I have noticed that when the credits start to roll, and they are designed as white text on a black background, if my eyes jump VERTICALLY from the TOP of the screen to the BOTTOM of the screen against the direction of the flow of the text (usually from the bottom of the screen to the top of the screen) all the text gets a neon green halo to it! It is the strangest thing! This only happens when my eyes are in motion and it is white on black. If I focus directly on the white text and follow it all the way up to the top of the screen, the text remains white.

Anybody out there have any idea what causes this phenomenon?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
It's probably a similar, but less common occurance like the dread "DLP Rainbow."

See a CRT display is only really illuminating one point of the screen at a time. The phosphores all decay after the electron exposure, and at different rates. Green is also typically driven harder - it's, what, 70% of the signal? - so it may persist longer.

If you had some more light on in the room, it might be harder to see, and if you didn't look for it, it'd be harder to see, too. (But once you start seeing things like this, it becomes difficult to not look for them, I know, I know...)

Leo Kerr

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I used to get the same thing with an analog Hitachi rptv I had, and it's been mentionned here before with several other makes. I've yet to see it on my current Sony which I've had for over 3 years. The same sort of eye movement will produce the rainbow effect on dlp sets. Some people have a tiny bit of involuntary small rapid eye movement and will see this effect even when they aren't trying to.

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks fellas! It is not a crucial negative that it is there. I was just curious as to the science of why it was happening. I am very satisfied with my TV and I have no intention of parting with it any time soon. I am still excited to see my very first sample of high-definition on it when I eventually purchase my first hi-def DVD player! Of course if we decide to move to a bigger house with a complete basement for my REAL home theaer, complete with a hi-def front projector and wall screen, this set will still be used as the living room, every day set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks