Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Can't decide between Panny XR70 and Pioneer 1014

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Justin_D

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted February 21 2005 - 05:23 AM

Whichever I buy I'll be taking to college, so space is a priority. Immediately, this makes me think Panny. Plus, I don't use analog inputs, again, Panny. However, my Polk speakers (which I adore, RTi6) are only 89 dB/w efficient, so I'm concerned about power. In college, I will be bi-amping the speakers, so maybe I shouldn't be as concerned. Does anyone have any suggestions? When I write it out on paper (or computer screen), the Panny is looking better and better, but I still can't decide. If I get some reassurance than the Panny will provide the power I need, that will probably push me over the buying edge. Also, are there any recievers coming out before August (in this price range) that will make me regret my purchase?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   David Judah

David Judah

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted February 21 2005 - 09:36 AM

I doubt you'll have any power problems with the Panny. I have an XR25 which is a little weaker in the amp section than the 70, and I'm running 7 speakers(the back surrounds are wired in paralell presenting a 4 ohm load to the amp). It'll push them louder than I ever need. DJ
Lecktor: Then how did you catch me?
Graham: You had disadvantages.
Lecktor: What disadvantages?
Graham: You're insane.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   JoePerri

JoePerri

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted February 21 2005 - 12:32 PM

One thing to consider is the crossover point. On the Panny it is limited to 100hz at the low end. You might be able to localize the sub that high. Joe

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   David Judah

David Judah

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted February 21 2005 - 01:51 PM

I've heard some claim they can localize around there, but with a clean signal, I doubt many can. If they're picking up the distortion components up higher, then that's a sub issue. It's possible, I suppose, but unlikely. With other receivers I've used an 80 Hz crossover, but frankly I haven't noticed a difference with the Panny's higher crossover other than that the notch in response around the crossover point is shifted up higher, which happens to be beneficial in my particular room. DJ
Lecktor: Then how did you catch me?
Graham: You had disadvantages.
Lecktor: What disadvantages?
Graham: You're insane.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Justin_D

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted February 21 2005 - 02:33 PM

I can always wire my speakers through the sub and use its crossover.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   RyanJE

RyanJE

Second Unit

• 438 posts

Posted February 22 2005 - 07:10 AM

Whats the high pass filter on your sub though? Any frequencies out to your mains will be limited by that filter.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted February 22 2005 - 08:13 AM

The sub's high pass is likely fixed, and may be the same or higher than that receiver's 100hz. I've owned a few receivers that had a fixed 100Hz x-over and it wasn't a big issue for me either; it wasn't distracting or really localizable. You're going to biamp off the Panny or with external amps?
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users