-

Photo
- - - - -

Velodyne has announced an external subwoofer setup room equalizer...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Dave Dahl

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted February 20 2005 - 01:52 PM

Hi all,

I was going over some things recently and stumbled onto a Velodyne press release announcing the future release of a subwoofer calibration system. It will include the 2.0 software version of the system they currently use for their DD subwoofers. The external box will be able to be used with almost any subwoofer. I think I smell a BFD killer with this one.

-Dave

Now if I only knew how much it will cost.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   BruceD

BruceD

Screenwriter

• 1,223 posts

Posted February 20 2005 - 02:07 PM

Do you have any specs?

Can it vary the "Q" (narrowness of the filter) to as fine as 1/60th octave bandwidth?

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted February 20 2005 - 02:11 PM

From Velodyne.com

Quote:
The new Velodyne products introduced at CES include:

* Subwoofer Management System (SMS-1) -- The SMS-1 improves the performance of any subwoofer and offers all the features of the DSP-controlled, industry leading Digital Drive room correction software in a rack mountable case. For the first time in an outboard processor, the SMS-1, a one unit high configuration, can display room anomalies visually and provide all the tools needed to correct them, allowing a listener to optimize any sub's and your system's bass performance. The SMS-1 comes preprogrammed with six fully adjustable listening mode presets and can be adjusted with a single touch of a button on the remote control. The SMS-1 will be available in the summer of 2005.

* Digital Drive Software Version 2.0 -- DD Software Version 2.0 represents a major upgrade to the Digital Drive subwoofer series. All Digital Drive subwoofers will be able to take advantage of the new features in Version 2.0 regardless of the current version they are running and will be standard on all new Digital Drive subwoofers and the SMS-1. There are more than a dozen new features of Version 2.0 including automated room EQ, individualized EQ curves per preset, selectable default preset, easier navigation and other features. Best of all, DD Version 2.0 will be offered free of charge to all current Digital Drive customers. DD Version 2.0 will be available by the end of the first quarter, 2005.

* Digital Drive Special Order Colors -- The Digital Drive series, in addition to the standard piano black gloss, medium cherry or light maple finishes, will now be available in white, canary yellow, nautical blue, scarlet red, gunmetal gray or silver. In addition, customers will have a choice of either black or silver grille cloth. Delivery will be 120 days ARO. Velodyne is taking orders for DD special colors immediately.

SMS-1 Posted Image
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Seth_L

Seth_L

Screenwriter

• 1,553 posts

Posted February 20 2005 - 02:20 PM

I bet it's not $119 either...

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,580 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted February 21 2005 - 12:15 AM

Probably not. But it is likelier easier to use than a BFD, no to mention more aesthetically pleasing. Neither one of these issues is important to me (unless the price difference is under 100$--then the convenience factor might weigh in) but for a lot of people, the extra cost will be worth the added ease of use and better looks. Besides, as popular as the BFD is among HT enthusiasts, it was designed for a completely different application and the bulk of its buyers are NOT HT people.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Axu R

Axu R

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted February 21 2005 - 12:50 AM

That SMS-1 is near $400, as BFD is $100...
Sometimes the best things come in a little box

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   David Bikeman

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted February 21 2005 - 01:33 AM

To me, the BFD @$100. is a SMS-1 killer. The BFD is not for the technically challenged so the SMS-1 will definitely have a market.

David

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Dave Dahl

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted February 21 2005 - 03:52 AM

Aux,

Where did you get the $400 number?

-Dave

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   BruceD

BruceD

Screenwriter

• 1,223 posts

Posted February 21 2005 - 04:29 AM

Essentially my question is with it's precision. If it doesn't have very fine resolution for it's "Q" parameter like the BFD (1/60th octave resolution), but instead something like 1/3 octave resolution, it will be less useful for truly eliminating modal peaks. Easier to use, yes, but not as musically satisfying, and for sure more expensive!!

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Ilkka R

Ilkka R

Second Unit

• 270 posts

Posted February 21 2005 - 04:59 AM

Quote:
Hi Scott,
I couldn't quote you the exact resolution, but let me tell you how it works.

There is a digital oscillator running all the time inside the DSP. When you are on the sweep screen the oscillator moves up in frequency, covering the frequencies between 15 and 200 in about 3 seconds. You can hear this as a sweep tone that moves up in frequency. The mic is set to record the intensity of the sweep at any particular point in time and graph it on the screen, which corresponds to the frequency being generated at the time. There is an internal table storing about 500 points between the 15 and 200 frequencies. So, there is actually more than one mic reading for each frequency measured. The DSP is running far faster than one point per frequency.

I'm not sure how this translates to resolution but I think it's safe to say that every frequency is adequately measured and reported on. And, the exact frequency, level, and Q can be set for each EQ.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Quote:
There is a Q control that defauilts to 4.3 (1/3 octave), and is adjustable from .3 (very wide), to 19 (pinpoint). Lots of tweakability!

Bruce

Quote:
Bruce ... From 15 to 240 Hz is four octaves ... This would mean you have more than 125 "points" measured per octave.

That seems pretty detailed ...

Read the whole thread from here.

Back to Speakers, Subwoofers & Headphones

Forum Nav Content I Follow