Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

80's Action-Adventure TV Shows on DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   David*R>Morris

David*R>Morris

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted February 20 2005 - 04:40 AM

I was wondering if anyone knew if "Tales of the Golden Monkey" or "Bring 'Em Back Alive" were on DVD yet in any region? I am just curious because my Beta tapes of the shows are starting to ware out.

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   LizH

LizH

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted February 20 2005 - 08:38 AM

STREETHAWK!

Killer Tangerine Dream soundtrack. Posted Image

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted February 20 2005 - 01:55 PM

Quote:
"Tales of the Golden Monkey"

Man, that one was great! Was it "Tales of the Gold Monkey"? Who was in that....I remember Stephen Collins, but was Caitlin O'Heaney in it also?

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   David*R>Morris

David*R>Morris

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted February 21 2005 - 11:26 AM

Yep she sure was.

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   BradD

BradD

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted February 21 2005 - 11:28 AM

Totally forgot about this one. Good show.

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   Dave Farley

Dave Farley

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted February 21 2005 - 12:22 PM

It didn't last long but I liked Tales of the Gold Monkey. I was in elementary school back when this aired. I had someone tell me it was out on DVD six months ago. It turned out to be nothing more than bootlegs with disc art and packaging.

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted February 21 2005 - 12:47 PM

Quote:
It didn't last long but I liked Tales of the Gold Monkey. I was in elementary school back when this aired.

"Oh, the pain" Posted Image "Elementary School" Posted Image

I was a little older then Posted Image

but I agree on the "important" point; was a neat series Posted Image....just like you "HTF'ers" Posted Image

Lets see....what can I get Dave L (TSoD) and Gord for Christams for letting me know about the HTF "TV" forum? :b

What about a guaranteed release of "Jag" for Dave's "bro"?
(Dave already knows what I'm wanting this year..."Bionics"...yeahhhhhPosted Image )

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted February 21 2005 - 03:57 PM

"Tales of the Gold Monkey" was ABC's attempt to cash in on the Indiana Jones craze.

I love the show...I'd buy it in a second if it ever came out on DVD. I was 10 when this show debuted, and I loved it.

I enjoyed it when it re-ran on USA and then on TVLand.

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted February 22 2005 - 12:08 PM

Scarecrow and Mrs. King was interesting, too. Kate Jackson as an ordinary woman who gets caught up with Bruce Boxleitner as a spy, and assists him in spite of his adamant refusal to endanger a civilian. Totally improbable, but lots of fun! Posted Image
The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor

• 978 posts

Posted February 22 2005 - 01:36 PM

What, no mention of one of the best 80's TV shows that just came out? C'mon! Everybody loves MacGyver! Posted Image

I'm still looking forward to seeing The Equalizer on DVD - anybody know when this one's ever going to see the light of day?

DVDs (24 Feb 2006): Discs - 2579, Titles - 1688 (Avg. 17 Titles/Month) • Films I've Seen: 20052004200320022001

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted February 23 2005 - 02:16 AM

Quote:
I'm still looking forward to seeing The Equalizer on DVD - anybody know when this one's ever going to see the light of day?

I second that motion! I'd love this one on DVD.

I think the reason that MacGuyver wasn't mentioned is that it's available on DVD. I'm guessing that we're posting things that we'd like to see released, but maybe I'm the "crazy" one here Posted Image

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted February 23 2005 - 03:27 AM

I'm all for Scarecrow and Golden Monkey plus some other series like Probe, Phoenix, and Misfits of Science.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   AlexCosmo

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted February 23 2005 - 03:31 AM

Riptide!

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted February 23 2005 - 06:50 AM

"Spenser For Hire" and "Vegas"(yes I know it's the 70's).
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   DavidofLondon

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted February 24 2005 - 01:24 AM

Quote:
Misfits of Science

Excellent suggestion, pre-Friends Courtney Cox. Loved that show but very short lived as I recall only 13 episodes I think.

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted February 24 2005 - 01:35 AM

How about Beauty and The Beast. Used to watch that one and The Equalizer while I was in university.

I especially enjoyed the final season which had the story arc involving the character Gabriel (played by Stephen Mchattie).....damn, he was a great villian.
Recently watched- Lethal Weapon 4, Lethal Weapon 3, Lethal Weapon 2, Lethal Weapon, Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, Home Alone, An American Christmas Carol, It's A Spongebob Christmas!, Four Christmases, Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Keep the change your filthy animal!"

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   Deb Walsh

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted February 24 2005 - 04:11 AM

Quote:
"Spenser For Hire" and "Vegas"(yes I know it's the 70's).

Yeah, but Vega$ continued into the early '80s, so it bridges the gap. That's a series I would buy in a heartbeat. It's almost impossible to find, and the few sellers who post bootlegs on eBay are making a fortune - hundreds of dollars for a single season. There's a market for that show, for sure, especially with all the renewed TV interest in Las Vegas - the show Las Vegas, CSI, etc. It would make an interesting companion piece.

Phoenix, Probe, Misfits of Science, Voyagers!, Shadow Chasers, Powers of Matthew Star, S&MK, Remington Steele, Max Headroom, the list goes on. Maybe it's because I was paying more attention at the time, but I have a great fondness for shows produced during the '80s. There were a lot of shows that really developed characters and worlds and drew viewers in and held them. And networks were more likely to let shows that weren't hits in the ratings play out, allowing time for audiences to build. We're talking the early days of cable, when it wasn't the threat to broadcast television it is today.
Deb Walsh (debwalsh@aol.com)
http://www.debwalsh.com/press/

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,909 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted July 31 2005 - 05:25 AM

I never saw Gold Monkey, but it sounds really interesting. Bellisario has a pretty great track record, so I'd pick it up blind. Universal could do it in one set.

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   RogerH

RogerH

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts

Posted July 31 2005 - 11:15 AM

Street Hawk and Blue Thunder are on my wishlist.

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,738 posts

Posted August 01 2005 - 03:45 AM

Quote:
"Tales of the Gold Monkey" was ABC's attempt to cash in on the Indiana Jones craze.

Not exactly. As I understand it, it was kind of like how studios wouldnt touch Battlestar Galactica intil STar Wars hit - the premise had been shopped around for years by Belasario but no studios would bite. Suddenly Indy came out and everyone was on the pulp adventure bandwagon - and someone bought the show.

Pity it didnt last very long, I remember the show being pretty cool.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow