What's new

Directors Actors who ruin movies (1 Viewer)

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
There are some current *cough* "Stars" *cough* who are in my opinion, SO GAWDAWFUL that I won't even consider watching any future films they are featured in.

These include the likes of

Ben Stiller,
Pamela Anderson,
Will Ferrell,
Jean-Claude Van Damme,
Chuck Norris

These are not actors I dislike, it's my list of absolutely horrible "actors" whose sole contribution is to ruin films. Put another way, if another actor took their place they could make a bad film good, or an average film great.

Feel free to add your two cents.
I purposely left out wannabe actors who are celebrities in other fields...
e.g.
J-Lo,
any sports star

ToddP

Stunt Coordinator
What is the point of threads like this? They seem to pop up every week. Everyone has different opinions on actors. For instance, I think Will Ferrell is hilarious. The only reason to post this is to incite arguments.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Rosanne Arquette is one of those ruins movies kind of actresses, but The Big Blue will always be my favorite movie. I mean hey, she does get left for the dolphin at the end! lol.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
I can't call Keanu Reeves a horrible actor across the board (he did adequately in SPEED; his particular brand of naive vacuousness was the perfect fit for the characters in THE MATRIX, A WALK IN THE CLOUDS and PARENTHOOD; and he actually showed some real talent in THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE, turning in a performance with range and real emotional power--probably because Pacino threatened to kick his ass if he didn't step it up), but his shockingly variable level of command of his craft found its nadir in BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA. There were enough good performances and capable direction to keep him from out-and-out ruining the film, but man, every time he comes on screen, you just can't help but cringe...

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
halle berry
sharon stone
mel gibson
bruce willis
chris tucker
amanda peet
the cast of friends

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
All right, here we go again. :rolleyes:

Some of the best actors/actresses, of course. Make sure you don't mention really bad ones, we just might believe you.

BTW, there's a huge difference between actors who 'ruin a movie' and actors/actresses you personally don't like or even hate (??).

Cees

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Let's keep this maintained to actors and actresses who ruin "every" movie they have been in.

I hate Will Smith, but he has had his moments. I hate Julia Roberts, but again.
Ben Stiller's brand of comedy makes me dumber afterwards, but I still enjoyed some of them.
Will Ferrel is coming into his own, but not as an "actor."
Keanu same, but if Constantine is good I will reevaluate. Even Mel does some stuff I like.
Jean Claude clearly is crap and the Chuckster.

Tom Cruise is such a prick, but I like a lot of his movies. I really liked the Last Samurai, but it probably would have been better w/ someone else.. like Chuck Norris.

Oh yeah, Jason Biggs sucks, but I like a lot of the movies he's in, same w/ "forehead girl" Mena Suvari.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
pre lethal weapon mel great actor post mel too melodramatic to the point where he can ruin a movie.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Hmmmm...The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle...Analyze This/That...Godsend...Hide & Seek...yeah, I can see it.

My addition: Adam Sandler

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

:laugh: Or Vin Diesel. Your honour I rest my case.;)

Okay I'll play along, I can't stand Sean Penn and have missed many a film because he was in it. I still have yet to see Mystic River, that said I know he's a good and highly respected actor, I just don't like him.:)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Originally posted by Steve Christou:
I can't stand Sean Penn and have missed many a film because he was in it. I still have yet to see Mystic River, that said I know he's a good and highly respected actor, I just don't like him.

Let me make a wild guess here--Bush voter?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
:laugh: Well [whispers] F911 did bore the pants off me... Travis are you trying to give the mods a heart attack? I'm not from Bushland, I'm from Enger-land, a land flowing with tea and crumpets. Otherwise my reply to your question would have been in the resoundingly negative, and I still can't stand Sean Penn.:)

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Now that I can agree with. I don't think I have seen any good movies with Sandler in it. Now I just skip the ones he is in so I don't have to suffer.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Yep, and I should have added this:

If you agree with someone - great, add your two cents.

If you disagree - leave it alone - that's how arguments start.

This isn't a thread to create an argument. The question is sincere.

The purpose of the thread is to have people step back from a film's hype and rethink this... are we as Joe Public truly being cheated?

I admit some comics are not great actors but their purpose within the comedic film genre is to combine some semblance of acting with well timed expressions and punch lines.

e.g. Steve Martin and John Candy in PTA
as opposed to e.g. Ben Stiller in Zoolander & Dodge Ball.

I never really thought Tom Cruise to be a horrible actor... but now that it's been raised, I'm leaning that way...

Vin Diesel was a perfect example. XxX could have been an excellent film but for his er..."talents."

Could it possible be :rolleyes:that when the producer chooses Tom Cruise or Vin Diesel, they purposely sacrifice "acting" or "entertaining" ability as a trade off for "box office draw"? Are they exploiting these people as "eye candy" for women (and some men?)

The Rock could fall into that category as he now holds himself out to be an actor. Then again I don't believe he ruined the Mummy (as an example.)

There is always a BETTER person to put in a role. Unfortunately Sir Laurence Olivier passed away before 1990 and even then he wouldn't be available for every role.

I'm attempting to identify individuals who, if replaced by any average actor/ess, this would lead to an immediate raising of the bar of the film's entertainment value...

Ultimately, the votes could lead to a "Top 10 list";)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
I only made the political reference to clarify if Mr. Penn was truly being judged for his acting talents alone or due to his non-acting, er, um, extracurricular activities...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks