Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Next wave of Disney Treasures!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
118 replies to this topic

#1 of 119 Tim_P_76

Tim_P_76

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted February 17 2005 - 03:37 PM

I found this on ultimatedisney.com:

"Forum member C3PO reveals that he just learned from Disney's consumer hotline that the four Walt Disney Treasures releases due this December are called Disney Rarities, Legendary Heroes (we presume this is the "Swamp Fox" collection mentioned last week), Spin and Marty, and as expected, The Chronological Donald, Volume 2. These four limited edition 2-disc tins would street on December 6, but Disney has not yet made a formal announcement. "Disney Rarities" sounds promising, though we're not sure what it would encompass. "Spin and Marty" was a serial about two boys at a summer ranch which aired as part of "The Mickey Mouse Club" in the fall of 1955. The second volume of The Chronological Donald is expected to contain the irascible duck's cartoon shorts from 1942 through 1948 or 1949. "

I am quite excited about the Heroes, and Rarities titles. I am hoping they include the Swamp Fox and Ben and Me, respectively. I hope Donald in Mathemagical Land is thrown in somewhere among these. I remember seeing the latter in 5th grade in a 16mm print. Made a mark on me to remember that I guess. Maybe I can retire my Ben and Me VHS finally!
I am currently always swamped watching my ginormous 20% off sale orders from DeepDiscountDVD...

#2 of 119 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted February 17 2005 - 03:53 PM

Rarities, Heroes, & Donald 2 all sound good. I don't know what to say about Spin & Marty, especially since we still aren't seeing the "True Life Adventures" set. Posted Image

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#3 of 119 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,453 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted February 17 2005 - 04:28 PM

Donald II and the Rare shorts sound good, but I would have liked to have seen the 2nd Silly Symphonies set in there.

I still haven't picked up Mickey in B&W II yet!

#4 of 119 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,034 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 17 2005 - 07:37 PM

"Disney Rarities" would be an ideal set to include Song of the South.

And thus ends my wishful thinking for the evening...

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 119 JackKay

JackKay

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted February 17 2005 - 08:10 PM

I hope Leslie Nielsen is involved in the Swamp Fox extras.
A bit like Patriot.
"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West

#6 of 119 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted February 17 2005 - 09:42 PM

As much as I love hearing that Donald V2 is coming, I'm slightly disappointed that it won't make it to at least 1952 when my favorite Donald Duck cartoon and perennial Halloween family favorite, Trick or Treat, was released. But then, Donald was very prolific in the 40s.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#7 of 119 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted February 17 2005 - 11:16 PM

If you really want to own it David, it was issued as a bonus short on The Black Cauldron Gold Collection DVD release..

#8 of 119 Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown

Second Unit

• 396 posts

Posted February 18 2005 - 12:47 AM

The Disney Treasures have been a great run of titles. I'm really pumped about these.
Todd
My DVD Collection

#9 of 119 Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted February 18 2005 - 02:22 AM

I guess there must be a market for vintage TV episodes -- either that or producer Leonard Maltin is reliving his boyhood days and think we all want to do the same. The exclusion of the True-Life Adventures at this point is starting to become nettlesome. Maybe Disney is thinking about releasing the True-Life Adventures as separate DVDs, following their VHS model. Or maybe they fear protests from animal rights groups over some of the staged incidents, and are deciding to bury the films a'la Song of the South.

Guess its time to find someone who can burn my VHS copies to DVD before they disintegrate.

#10 of 119 alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted February 18 2005 - 03:17 AM

Quote:
I hope Donald in Mathemagical Land is thrown in somewhere among these

My vague memory seems to recall that this was to be a seperate release this year, sometime before midyear. I'm pretty certain the both TheDigitalBits and DVDFile reported this.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#11 of 119 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted February 18 2005 - 06:48 AM

Quote:
If you really want to own it David, it was issued as a bonus short on The Black Cauldron Gold Collection DVD release..

Thanks, Marco. It's also edited into Mickey's House of Villains, but I'll probably rent one or the other this Halloween (thus retiring my old videotape of Disney's Halloween Treat) and wait for the cleaned up Treasures version.

Quote:
I hope Donald in Mathemagical Land is thrown in somewhere among these

It makes sense that they would throw this in Donald V3, sort of like what they did with Mickey's Christmas Carol in MMiLC V2. After 1950, Donald didn't have that many cartoons and they would be needing something to 'fill' the set up with.

I'm guessing that Donald's WWII shorts won't be duplicated in this new set.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#12 of 119 Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted February 18 2005 - 06:49 AM

Let's hope The Chronological Donald Volume 2 isn't a double dip of On the Front Lines.

#13 of 119 Joe:C

Joe:C

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted February 18 2005 - 08:26 AM

I just wish we could get two waves a year.

#14 of 119 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted February 18 2005 - 09:45 AM

Is there any chance that Destino will be included in the Rarities set?

#15 of 119 Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted February 20 2005 - 07:26 AM

Including the ones announced (rumoured) for this year, I wouldn't expect more than about six more cartoons collections in the WDT line - so they can't really give us too many in one wave, can they?

Donald from 1952 shouldn't be expected until a later volume - 3 or 4. What's included in vol. 2 is probably going to give us an idea of how many more volumes there will be - one or two.

Waiting for True-Life Adventures. I think that was pretty much "officially rumoured" for Wave 2 already.

#16 of 119 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted February 20 2005 - 07:41 AM

Wasn't there a lot of original animated material produced for The Wonderful World of Walt Disney in Color? I wonder if there is enough Ludwig Von Drake material to fill one of these sets, and how much other original animated material exists from that era.

#17 of 119 Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts

Posted February 20 2005 - 11:15 AM

Quote:
Donald from 1952 shouldn't be expected until a later volume - 3 or 4. What's included in vol. 2 is probably going to give us an idea of how many more volumes there will be - one or two.

I think someone on another forum had some reliable information indicating that Donald Volume 2 would include shorts from the years 1942-1947. They may be able to fit the rest in another volume. I also wonder when Pluto Volume 2 is due.

-D

#18 of 119 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,975 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 20 2005 - 05:11 PM

Much of the Walt Disney TV show is recycled material, and some of it wouldn't make sense to release on a DVD unless it contained a significant portion of new material.

Maltin was from the same generation of my parents: the baby boomers. They grew up on the Disney stuff, including, I presume, the Sunday anthology series. They got the Disney Channel when I was small and it was a good, pay-cable service, and it was here I saw many of the old movies, the cartoons, and some of the TV stuff, too.

Ernest, where have you been? Vintage TV episodes on DVD DO sell. Look at the diversity of product available. Look at the success of the website TVShowsonDVD.com. Whether or not you like the old Disney TV shows, many other people do and would like to see some DVDs. Considering there's nearly thirty years of anthology series material, plus Zorro, more Mickey Mouse Club, etc.

True-Life Adventures will come out eventually. But heaven only knows what physical condition they're in. Considering they were blown up from 16mm Kodachrome to 35mm to begin with. As for animal rights groups protesting their availability, we'd have heard of this by now if it were so. The short "Water Birds" is on the DVD of "The Rescuers," and it isn't in the greatest of shape. But I wouldn't mention that lemmings incident at the next meeting of Animal Liberation Front.

Quote:
I also wonder when Pluto Volume 2 is due.

Well, every dog has his day, and Pluto's isn't in 2005. They should have put all his shorts on the first volume, as they could have fit easily if you removed the double-dips.

All these I'll get, but Donald v.2 is definitely the one I want the most. The title "Disney Rarities" has me fascinated, though. Would this be the "assorted" titles that don't fit into any larger set, or more behind-the-scenes stuff?

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#19 of 119 Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 542 posts

Posted February 21 2005 - 02:52 AM

Aside from Donald v.2, the only one that could possibly interest me is Disney Rarities. Still hoping for: True Life Adventures and a Disneyland USA v.2 in the near future.

-Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#20 of 119 Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted February 21 2005 - 03:03 AM

I'd like to see a set devoted to the Florida parks, especially stuff about the design and building of Epcot.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow