Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Speaker choices

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Kevin_F

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted February 14 2005 - 08:36 AM

A friend of mine has $1200 to spend on speakers and would like some recommendations from you guys. The $1200 has to include all 5 speakers plus the sub only. He is planning to get the Pioneer 1014 and the room he is putting this in is about 22'(L) x 12'(W).

If you need more info, please let me know.
"I'm never trapped"

Wolverine

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   steve nn

steve nn

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted February 14 2005 - 09:08 AM

You possibly might want to start here?

http://www.plasmadoc....dex&cPath=7_45

I think they might deal a little also?

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   martyTeboe

martyTeboe

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted February 14 2005 - 10:07 AM

Quote:
A friend of mine has $1200 to spend on speakers and would like some recommendations from you guys. The

Not that I'm the best guy to ask, but if I had it all to do over again, I'd invest that $1200 into Front Mains and a Sub, and if I have enough left over, a center. Wait for the surrounds. I think it's better to build over time, when you have the money for the equipment you want, rather than buying some HTiB, and slowly upgrading piece by piece.
For $1200, you can't do too much these days, unfortunately.

Then again, it all really depends upon how serious your friend is about sound. If he's new to the game, and isn't sure about how much he'll enjoy the hobby (we already know he'll be hooked, right?), then $1200 might get him a decent system. If he's just looking to invest in something more long-term, then he might want to consider the slow approach, buying good stuff, and the best price he can find, and getting equip that will last.

Whatever he decides, point him to the HTF for lots of good info!!!

mt

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Kevin_F

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted February 15 2005 - 07:52 AM

Thanks Marty, he has decided to take your advice and is going to get 2 fronts, a sub and maybe a center channel. He is also going to get the Denon 2805 instead on the Pioneer 1014 because of the extra money he has available.
He will get the surrounds at another time.
"I'm never trapped"

Wolverine