What's new

Silent Hill movie, storyline revealed (1 Viewer)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Silent Hill the movie has been revealed! At least the storyline that is. Producer Don Carmody has finally shed some light on the details here:

Silent Hill storyline details

Keep in mind that for some reason the final resolution to the story is mostly revealed in that link so if you want to stay spoiler free you'll want to skip the link. I'll post a summary of the story sans spoiler here:

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Thank god Gans got his hands on Silent Hill, and it didn't land in the lap of a Uwe Boll. The trailer has me insanely excited to see one of my favorite game series translated for the big screen. Gans has the tone of the games down perfectly. April can't come soon enough.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Because it's Gans (I'm a huge Brotherhood of the Wolf fan), I'm interested. The trailer looks creepy and scary, and thankfully free of the self-referential irony that's plagued horror films since Scream came out.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Out of nowhere, I am VERY excited for the film. Gans is a skillful director, and I saw the trailer cold, having never played a SH game (but knowing and, more importantly, respecting their pedigree). The trailer was fantastic. I have no interest in the story untiul I see the film. I'd rather just walk in :)

Looked extremely creepy, extremely imaginiative, and quite epic for a horror film.

It should break the video game cycle of ass.

The trailer that followed it was Stay Alive, which looked weak as **** in comparison, acting, execution, tone, and entertainment. The Ring with a video game instead of a video...and no style or coherence.

But Silent Hill...that looked like a thing of beauty (so to speak).

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
You sound like you saw the trailer in the theater Chuck, what were you seeing that it was attached to if I may ask? If you did in fact see it in the theater that is. I wish they'd release a higher resolution version - at least 480p.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me :)

I did see it in the theater, and it almost made the money I spent (on the movie I paid to see) worth it...the movie I saw certainly did not. I'll only say it was a sequel to a concept I did not think could be f***ed up. I was wrong. I was certain said concept could not be dicked up twice. Shame on me :D

But Silent Hill was extremnely impressive. Even without my Sean Bean love.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I thought I made that clear, Tim ;)

I am now interested in the SH games, but I'd like to see the film fresh, and then I might try the games out.

How often have you heard that? It really was an impressive trailer.

John Doran

Screenwriter
wow. that looks like it could be a hell of a ride if gans can keep it together. i love bean and i've loved mitchell since pitch black.

the nurses are in the movie. sweet.

chuck - if you want to know nothing about the movie, then maybe you shouldn't play the games until afterward. but if you like deep storylines and incredibly creepy, disturbing visuals and riveting gameplay, then they're titles that demand at least a once-through. if not more.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
The movie's story is basically a modified version of the first game's story - with a female instead of a male protagonist. For good measure, they've used some design and creature design work from the later games - most notably Pyramid Head who is visible at the end of the trailer. It will be interesting to see how Pyramid Head is worked in there because he's very strongly thematically linked to themes of the second game and really has nothing to do with the first or third games (the third game is a direct sequel to the first - continuing the "cult" storyline - whereas the second game is more of a sidestory kind of game about what happens when people end up wandering into the town and have "demons" to deal with).

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'll read it (and check out the games) after I've seen the film. I think I'd rather walk in not knowing a thing. Except what I saw in the trailer.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
The games are great. I always felt they're underrated because the Resident Evil series is considered the pinnacle of the survival horror genre. Even the fourth game is worth playing, IMO. It's different, but it's still good. Are there any sites out there that can refresh my memory as to the storylines (especially 1 and 3)? It's been about 2 years or so since I beat part 3, and even longer since the first one.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I can't believe I didn't even think of GameFAQS. I was just on that site for another reason just a couple of hours ago. Thanks for the direct links.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I hope the DVD of the film has unlockable Easter Egg alternate endings, Including the 'Dog' and 'UFO' endings :D

The trailer looks almost too good to be true, a videogame movie with no Uwe Boll! Shakey guy! Pyramid head! Naughty nurses! Inexplicable gore-on-the-wall! The air raid siren! I would have been happy with a so-so Fatal Frame movie, but this is just icing on the cinema-cake.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks