What's new

May Criterion Releases (1 Viewer)

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
May 10

Burden Of Dreams
Les Blank's extraordinary documentary about the making of Werner Herzog's epic film Fitzcarraldo details the desperate conditions of the production and how real-life events sometimes mirrored the plot of the film, which is about a mad plan to build an opera house deep in the Amazon jungle. Fighting the weather, morale problems, the loss of two major cast members, and even a war between Peru and Ecuador, Herzog and crew struggle to complete the film.

Hoop Dreams
The stirring true story of two ordinary inner-city kids who dare to dream the impossible - professional basketball glory. Filmed over a five-year period, Hoop Dreams follows young Arthur Agee and William Gates on their odysseys to overcome not only the harsh realities of the Chicago streets but also all the complexities and competitiveness of scholastic athletics in America. This award-winning, critically acclaimed documentary is making its DVD debut.

May 24

The Phantom Of Liberty
Director Luis Buñuel’s anarchic comedy of non-sequiturs moves from constantly interrupted highlight to highlight: the elegant soirée with guests seated on gleaming toilet bowls, one man excusing himself to use the dining room; hard-drinking, poker-playing monks using religious medals as chips; a leather-clad maîtresse whipping a bourgeois businessman; a missing little girl who provides helpful tips to the cops searching for her; and a police crackdown at the zoo bringing everything full circle: “Long live chains!”

Christian

Anthony Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator
LOL, that's what I said as I read that, and there is not a more fitting way to release than on Criterion. That's awesome, can't wait.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Christian,

I nearly shat my pants when I read that one of my favorite of all films, THE PHANTOM OF LIBERTY (1974), has finally been given a release date after being long-rumored as a Criterion DVD - and getting BURDEN OF DREAMS (1982) in the same month is sweet too...but would you mind telling me where you've got the info from???

Ike

Screenwriter
I didn't know the Bunuel was coming, and I must say that I am psyched. I was all prepared to get the box set that is coming out in Region 2, containing 2 other films I already have, just to get Phantom of Liberty. Looking forward to Hoop Dreams too. Killer month for Criterion.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Hoop Dreams!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

It's about time!

This film should be shown to every young person involved in competitive athletics in every high school in America.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Darn, I was hoping to see Late Spring released, considering that May is late spring time of year. :) I wonder what Ozu criterionhas in store for us this year?

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor

Me too. But it is rumored that Criterion will release other Ozus (The Only Son) before they release Late Spring.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Awesome! Finally, I can own Hoop Dreams on DVD. I've caught it a couple of times in the past two months on cable and it never fails to fascinate. Truly, one of the best documentaries ever made.

This Criterion will be mine! :)

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
And for Wes Anderson fans, I heard that The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou will be a Criterion DVD, just like The Royal Tenenbaums.

Christian

Ike

Screenwriter
When is Zissou supposed to arrive? The set would be complete if they would just do Bottle Rocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks