Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official HITCH Discussion Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 12 2005 - 10:19 AM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Hitch" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Hitch" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 02:36 PM

I suspect this picture was sponsored by Google.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   RichardK

RichardK

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted February 17 2005 - 01:45 PM

If you want to find out for sure, just Google it. Posted Image

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted February 23 2005 - 02:27 PM

My family and I saw this last night. There are plenty of funny scenes (most of which are given away in the trailer, of course, but not all of them). I liked the ultimate message, that what the heiress found truly endearing about the accountant was all the acountant's own personality and foibles; none of that was the date doctor's doing. All the date doctor really did was instill some confidence, help the man interpret feedback from the woman, and in some cases, create the right "meet cute" setup so that the man would in fact get noticed by the woman of his dreams. The rest was all up to the man, and the chemistry between the two. Can't help but think of Eva Mendes as the "next J-Lo" or the "poor man's J-Lo" after you see this flick.
My DVD Collection
My CD Collection

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted February 23 2005 - 03:45 PM

I went to see this last night with the wife, and I have to say that I enjoyed the film. I am pretty much an action flick guy, but I enjoyed this film. My wife absolutely loved it. So guys if you need a chick flick that is decent, they will love this one. I got major brownie points for taking her to see this one.Posted Image

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Shawn_McD

Shawn_McD

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted February 24 2005 - 10:03 AM

Yeah, i think its a chick flick that will appeal to guys. Since it has the sort of "Picking up" women aspect to it. Overall the premise, plot and the chemistry between Kevin James and Will Smith is excellant. It won't win an oscar, but great DATE movie and just generally a funny and nice film Ill get the DVD.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Mary M S

Mary M S

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted June 27 2005 - 05:33 AM

Just saw this DVD last night, and surprisingly enjoyed it, its launch was under the radar for me but a son rented it so I viewed it last night. I’m not kidding when I state I would highly recommend it to single males for some excellent generalized advice regarding how to get, (and not screw up) the first couple of dates with someone they highly desire to start a relationship with. If a film works for me, it is very often because it highlights some ‘universal truths’ I can relate too. Most dating guidelines were excellent, and the kind of tips I would personaly give to a nervous male friend asking for help in beginning a relationship. Very fun!
You've been dreaming. Dreaming of Sea Captain who haunted this house.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted June 27 2005 - 05:52 AM

Just saw this over the weekend. I liked the movie. One thing though, in most of the previews, they made it out like Hitch could not take his own advice and had a very hard time meeting/talking to women himself. However, except for a few minutes of tongue-tiedness at Sarah's door, near the end, he seemed to do fine.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted June 27 2005 - 06:21 AM

Yeah, I saw the 1st 5 minutes at the rental store and it was spot on. Seemed like a lot of fun, its on my netflix queue. -- H

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted June 27 2005 - 06:49 AM

I just picked this up last week and finally sat down to watch it this weekend. Both my wife and I totally enjoyed this and it seemed to get so much right. I loved the characters in the film, especially the accountant and Hitch.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Mary M S

Mary M S

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted June 27 2005 - 07:33 AM

John, I don’t remember seeing trailers for this movie so I had no expectations and even had to ask my son “what is Hitch?”.

Watching the film I enjoyed the fact that a suave professional could still boof it up…(as does real life when it kicks you in the seat of the pants in front of witnesses!)

Since some might rent…. I know I don’t have to use spoilers here in discussion, but do not want to ruin some of the funnier moments.

When Hitch has the horrific and very un-sexy allergic reaction, and earlier when his well-researched field trip to Ellis Island goes grimly wrong! Still he wins the moment because it was the thought and intent behind the action that attracts.

My read was Hitch was very good at his profession, and could use his talents most ably in his own personal affairs. His ‘issue’ was that he had been burnt in the past, and was cynical about there being one right mate for each person. He appeared to view the whole mating dance as more a question of strengthening connections, which could be made by anyone if properly implemented regardless of apparent and surface appearing incompatibilities. His whole focus (which by the way works very well in real life) was to get past the first hurdles in relationships by attempting to truly see and connect with the target of your romantic intentions.

The fun in the film (and something again I’ve seen in real life) was the fact that there is a tiny window of opportunity to make impressions on a first date/first kiss/ etc. If you pass the trial of those very precarious early moments then Fate and Life take over, (kind of like a freight train on a 45 degree downhill grade with no brakes Posted Image .) Nature and time bring wildly unexpected further connections which sometimes evolve in surprising or comical directions.

This movie excels far above “chick flicks” in its universal appeal for both males and females, regarding the embarrassments and scary 'hanging yourself out in the breeze" of early moments in any acquaintance. The bumbling average looking overweight accountant who does good, …with a little help from Will,…carried this film for me. He did a very good job bouncing off WS as the front man.
You've been dreaming. Dreaming of Sea Captain who haunted this house.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users