-

Photo

Lord of the Rings-12 disc set. Where did it go?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 05:31 AM

I was given almost $100.00 of Blockbuster gift certificates in December, for my birthday and went to my local blockbuster (north-east Toronto area)to buy the 12 disc set of LOTR. I figured it had come out for Christmas and I might have to wait for it to come back in to stock.
Well, I'm still waiting. They tell me its on order but has not come in yet.
Does anyone know why this set is so hard to get?
Is this a problem at Blockbuster or is it no where to be found?
I did a search of the forum and can't find any mention of this.

Larry.

#2 of 18 MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,478 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 05:54 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know why this set is so hard to get?

Just buy the individual EE's, then mail in the form (inside "ROTK") to get the "free" slipcase for the set. I don't believe too many retailers will stock the set much longer, since most fans bought each EE as they were released individually. There probably aren't too many potential consumers left to buy the whole collection at once, which is why New Line offered the slipcase mail-in offer for previous buyers.

The EE set will probably end up being a "gift" set popular only around the holiday season.

#3 of 18 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,012 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 07:25 AM

I have seen the set at target.

Jacob

#4 of 18 Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 10:07 AM

I just saw them being sold for CAD$99 at Costco Newmarket.

#5 of 18 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 10:24 AM

I haven't had any trouble locating it in my area.

I stopped purchasing the Extended Editions after Fellowship because I was expecting something like this to be announced and just last week I finally traded that Extended Edition with a member of this forum and purchased the E.E. Trilogy Set last Friday. I must've seen at least 10 copies on shelf at every single retailer I've been to in the past 2 weeks and this is a major blockbuster franchise so I can imagine how many must've sold within the first few days that it hit streets.

Not sure why you're having so much difficulty finding it..?

#6 of 18 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,835 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 12 2005 - 10:35 AM

Can't your BB order the LOTR set for you?

#7 of 18 Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 03:42 PM

They told me that the set was on order and it will come in when it's available. I'll either buy the 3 sets individually or call a few Blockbusters and see if one of them has it.
Thanks to you all for your help.
Larry

#8 of 18 Casey C.

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 07:26 PM

My local Target had the EE boxed set on the shelf today for $89.99 (which really is no savings over the individial sets, which were priced at $29.99 each).

#9 of 18 Bernhard

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted February 13 2005 - 12:29 AM

I am even more wondering about what happened to the 9 CD Soundtrack-set they've announced...
My current DVD Collection

Mace Windu: "Do you know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese on Coruscant?"

#10 of 18 Devin_C

Devin_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted February 13 2005 - 10:53 PM

Quote:
am even more wondering about what happened to the 9 CD Soundtrack-set they've announced...
ooooo.... Posted Image good question. Maybe they were waiting to note the Grammy awards for Shore's RotK work. Posted Image

#11 of 18 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,069 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted February 14 2005 - 01:28 AM

Quote:
Just buy the individual EE's, then mail in the form (inside "ROTK") to get the "free" slipcase for the set.
You don't even need to mail a form. You can order the slipcase online at http://www.lotrdvdbox.com/. You need a credit card and will be charged US$3 for shipping and handling, though.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#12 of 18 Marc Bax

Marc Bax

Second Unit

• 306 posts

Posted February 14 2005 - 06:02 AM

Quote:
You don't even need to mail a form. You can order the slipcase online at http://www.lotrdvdbox.com/. You need a credit card and will be charged US$3 for shipping and handling, though.

Although the site claims they don't allow check card orders the arrival of my slipcase today proves that they will work fine. I used a Visa check card for the purchase.

#13 of 18 Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted February 14 2005 - 11:50 AM

Since a few of you mentioned you had seen the set in stores recently, I thought I'd make a few calls to the Blockbusters in my area. Well the first one i called had one of the sets in stock and I picked it up Sunday.

I guess I should have called around first.
Thanks again for your advise.
Larry

#14 of 18 Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted February 15 2005 - 12:00 AM

I want this 9-CD soundtrack set. This is what I could find on the net from here:
Quote:
As any fule no, the fantabulous four-disc extended edition of The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King will debut later this year. But for those of you doing decent Gollum impressions – "we wanttsss it!" – Empire can exclusively reveal that one more superb LOTR extra is on its way, ready to sate those Rings withdrawal symptoms.

Howard Shore's Oscar-winning scores for the three movies, easily ranking amongst the very best soundtracks of recent times, has up until now only been granted a single CD release for each film. Now, Empire is no Carol Vorderman, but we calculate that that means that more than six hours of the score [more than eight if you factor in the Extended Editions] remains unreleased.

Well, that's going to change next year, when Shore plans to release a suitably epic nine-disc set of his most famous work. And, just as the two-disc DVDs pale in comparison to the Extended Editions, so too will the CDs.

“The plan is that we would feature all of the music in the theatrical cuts of the films," said Shore, talking exclusively to Empire. "Currently, two discs for [the first], three each for [the second and third films] and a ninth disc of rarities with host of rare, unreleased music from the films with commentary from me.”

The DVD would also feature material covering Shore’s recent transfer of the trilogy’s music to a live concert setting, The Lord Of The Rings Symphony. “The DVD would also potentially have a 45-minute documentary which we shot on the making of the Symphony and full performance of it done with the Montreal Symphony," he added.

Does anyone have any more specific info? We wanttsss it!
Dan Szwarc
Currently without a Home Theatre

#15 of 18 Bernhard

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted February 15 2005 - 12:39 AM

That sounds too good to be true. Can't wait!
My current DVD Collection

Mace Windu: "Do you know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese on Coruscant?"

#16 of 18 Chip_HT

Chip_HT

Stunt Coordinator

• 224 posts

Posted February 15 2005 - 07:51 AM

Quote:
My local Target had the EE boxed set on the shelf today for $89.99 (which really is no savings over the individial sets, which were priced at $29.99 each).

That's nothing. I saw the full set at Target a couple months back for $100, with the three individual EEs for $30 each, or less. I couldn't believe that they'd be able to sell anything....

#17 of 18 Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted February 15 2005 - 09:13 AM

I got my $3 slipcase today.

I paid on average about $25 for each DVD set from Amazon.
Dan Szwarc
Currently without a Home Theatre

#18 of 18 Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted February 15 2005 - 10:47 AM

Quote:
Although the site claims they don't allow check card orders the arrival of my slipcase today proves that they will work fine. I used a Visa check card for the purchase.

They probably mean check cards that don't carry a Visa or Mastercard logo-I think they do exist.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow