What's new

Get Smart! (1 Viewer)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
When I purchased the late 1980s TV movie reunion Get Smart Again last month, I again asked a question I've been asking for years: When will the classic 1960s Get Smart series be released in season box sets on DVD??
Sorry about that, Chief, but you'd think one of the best sitcoms of all time would get the respect it deserves! :D

MattHR

Screenwriter
Would you believe a "Get Smart: The Complete 5-Season Collection" remastered from the original film negatives, unedited, with commentaries and bloopers, all packaged in a limited-edition replica "shoe phone"?

How about a single "best of" release containing 4 syndication version/time-compressed episodes sourced from a VHS tape recorded in EP mode, released on the Madacy label?

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Thanks for those links, Matt. Those posts were from months ago, and it seems those people are waiting just like the rest of us! Anyway, it was time for a new topic for 2005. ;)
Would you believe a "Get Smart: The Complete 5-Season Collection" remastered from the original film negatives, unedited, with commentaries and bloopers, all packaged in a limited-edition replica "shoe phone"?
No, I find that hard to believe, but it sounds great.....except for the poor satellite reception on Max's shoe phone from the TV movie sequel)! :D

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
No, I find that hard to believe, but it sounds great.....except for the poor satellite reception on Max's shoe phone from the TV movie sequel)!
Max's shoe phone is probably the most famous portable phone in TV history. Can't you just imagine all sorts of cellular commercial tie-in possibilities? LOL!

(No, I wouldn't actually want to see it happen for real...)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm keeping fingers crossed we see the DVDs in 2005, which is the 40th anniversary of the show. Also, the feature film with Steve Carrell is due to open in late 2005, and you know the studios love a good movie tie-in with their DVDs.
The tentative release for the feature is according to this article from TVguide.com (free registration required):
http://tvguide.com/search/editorial/...rticleId=99346
I personally have my doubts about the movie coming out that soon, if at all, and the TV Guide piece seems to be wrong in that it suggests that Mel Brooks is involved in the film.
In any event, the DVD release of the Don Adams show is much more important to me than a new feature. I'd snap up all 5 seasons of this great show in an instant.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Steve Carell of The Daily Show had previously been one of Will Ferrell's wacky Anchorman team in that movie.
But does the world really need a Maxwell Smart remake after all of those Don Adams sequels?? Well, I guess it can't be any worse than Cedric the Entertainer taking on Jackie Gleason's most famous role in a Honeymooners movie remake. Even Ralph Kramden had been parodied on Saturday Night Live by Joe Piscopo (with Eddie Murphy as Ed Norton) and on SNL again a a few years later when Nora Dunn played Alice. I eeem to recall Randy Quaid playing Ralph. In the 1990s, Artie Lange did a really good Ralph impersonation on MAD TV.
And if that wasn't enough....Brad Garrett played Jackie Gleason and his various characters in the TV movie docudrama on Gleason's life a few years ago.
But if anybody ever replaces Peter Falk (who played Lt. Columbo into his 70s), there's gonna be hell to pay!

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I'm waiting for this one too.
I'll buy it on release day!
There's a new movie? Oh god...
The hacks in hollywood have'nt had a original idea since the early 80's. I never even heard of this Steve Carell guy. I spend my time watching TVLand, Boomerang or season sets.
All I want is the original Don Adams masterpiece in season dvd sets!
Not another sorry slapped together rip-off er.. I mean remake movie.
But, if Mel Brooks and Buck Henry ever got the helm I'd be more open to a new film.
"Missed it by that much!" :)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I personally have my doubts about the movie coming out that soon, if at all, and the TV Guide piece seems to be wrong in that it suggests that Mel Brooks is involved in the film.
TV GUIDE has rarely been wrong in 52 years. If they say Mel Brooks is one of the writers of the new Agent 86 movie, then he is.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
The only way this could be any good is if they set it in the 1960's.
Why can't Hollywood leave well enough alone. No one will be as funny as Don Adams, and most of the jokes used on the show that were funny back in the 60s will no longer be considered funny today. Still, if it means the release of the show on DVD, by all means make the movie LOL!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Well, to be fair, the original Get Smart ended in 1970! ;)
Forgetting about the awful feature film "The Nude Bomb" that came out in 1980, Don Adams did a decent job portraying Maxwell Smart along with welcome returns from many original series regulars including Barbara Feldon and frequent guest Bernie Kopell as Conrad Sigfried in "Get Smart Again" at the end of that decade. The TV movie reunion was well done. Many of the jokes were updated but even the old ones still worked (like the Cone of Silence, which uh....actually never worked. :D).
Don & Barbara played their most famous roles one last time during the 1994-95 season when "Get Smart" became a new series with Andy Dick as the grown son of Max & 99, who becomes a Control agent himself. But hey....99 gave birth to twins when the old series moved from NBC to CBS for its last season. So what happened to the sibling?? :)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Overall the 1990s Get Smart wasn't bad.....but other than The Simpsons, FOX didn't have much luck in the ratings on Sunday nights at that time. I think The X-Files was still on Fridays during that period.

Some fans of the old show complained that 86 & 99 didn't have enough to do, but that made sense because by that time Max was the Chief running Control and 99 helped out in the office.

The show centered around their son Zack (played by Andy Dick) who at time was even more of a bumbler than Max...if that's even possible. I can't remember Zack's agent number, but his 99 was a sexy but cold blonde Agent 66 (played by Elaine Hendrix).

I never cared much for Andy, although he was good on The Ben Stiller Show a few years earlier. The comedian has done well for himself since then, co-starring in hit sitcoms Newsradio and currently on Less than Perfect.

A high point of the series was the 6th episode in which Bernie Kopell guest starred as Siegfried, when he again went head to head with Max. The battle of CONTROL vs. KAOS will never die, but the show itself didn't last much longer.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
TV GUIDE has rarely been wrong in 52 years. If they say Mel Brooks is one of the writers of the new Agent 86 movie, then he is.
AFAIK, Brooks has never even been approached by Warner Bros. which is producing the new movie. I remain doubtful he will be involved. I bet TV Guide's info comes from the IMDB listing for the movie, in which Mel is the sole listing under "Writing Credits" and he's listed as "creator."

There were a few test pictures of Steve Carrell as Max that surfaced a week or so ago on darkhorizons.com but the site did not have the photographer's permission to use them and they were pulled. Carrell looks a lot like Don Adams in the photos and was photographed in a red convertible very similar to the one used in one of the old title sequences of the TV show.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Woo-hoo! According to TVShowsonDVD.com Get Smart may be out in 2005 or 2006!
Check out this report:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3013
This is probably #1 on my list of wanted shows on DVD. (1966's Batman is a close second.) I've been wanting to see Get Smart on disc since the very first box set was released. Here's hoping it happens sooner rather than later.
Thanks for the update on TSoD, David. It may only be a rumor, but as the most positive news we've had on the show, it makes my day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks