What's new

War of the Worlds tv series...I wonder?. (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
With the upcoming remake of War of the Worlds. I wonder if they will release the tv series based on the movies onto dvd? It was a syndicated series that aired between 1988 thru 1990. Here was the intro:

Man, I haven't thought about that show in years! As I recall it was one of Fox's early offerings, or was it syndicated? I wouldn't mind seeing it again...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I was just talking to the missus about this show the other day, saying I hoped it came to DVD to tie-in with the new film. Count me in!...

Ed Payne

Agent
If it happens, they better bring on the Friday the 13th: The Series. It was more popular and... I liked it more. :D I did like WotW, too. The second season introduced Adrian Paul (Highlander) and the vibe changed. I kinda lost interest then. But then again, I was finishing my Master's Thesis and working a full-time job, too. :eek: I lost interest in everything. :D

Ed Payne

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

No, you're probably thinking of Richard Chaves as Ironhorse (pictured above, larger-than-life!). Adrian Paul (Highlander) came in for the 2nd season. Jared Martin (Dallas' "Dusty Farlow") was there all along as Dr. Blackwood.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I would snatch this up in a second....the first season anyway. Hopefully Paramount is on the ball with this.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Have you noticed that the new film's promotional material lifts the "martian fingers over the Earth" imagery from the opening of the series? :)

GregK

Screenwriter
It's been awhile, but is the new film's font style the same as the series as well?

I thought the 1st year of the series wasn't too bad, and made sure to watch most the first season on a regular basis. Then I read an article in Starlog where a new team was taking over the production of War of the Worlds for the second season. The head of this new guiding force stated he had never watched any of the first season episodes, but probably should. But he already had 'fresh new ideas' for the martians, wanted to alter some of the leads etc etc.. I tried to keep an open mind when the second season premiered, but ..Yikes, it was awful!!

John C

Stunt Coordinator
This is the holy grail of TV series for me that I'm crossing my fingers will get a release. The first season was excellent, IMHO. The show had a lot of potential that was never realized. In a theme similar to the long winded conspiracy episodes of the X-Files, it was revealed during the first season of the show that a second invasion fleet was coming within four years time and the revived aliens here had to prepare the way for future colonization. It was also surprisingly gory for a show on TV. If only the show had gotten at least a second season....ha.
The show did get a second season, which largely ignored the continuity established in the first and proceeded to gut all the creativity of the original concept. First season box sets may sell well but I doubt second season sets would.
Hopefully Paramount realizes there is enough of a cult following on this show to release it. I doubt it though, because the studio has treated this show like its bastard stepchild.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Meh - the series never really did anything for me beyond the pilot movie (which was pretty cool). The problem that I had with the series was the basic premise - a direct tie-into the George Pal movie - was flawed.

You see, you cant have a nearly end of the world event like the 1950's invasion without very basic changes happening to society. Cities have been wiped off the map, thousands and thousands of people are dead. Giant war machines with alien technology light years ahead of anything we posses litter the landscape. . . . . and yet here it is, 1989 (or there about) and nobody seems to have noticed.

The most significant event in human history, and life rolls on like nothing happened. Hell, Janet shows some boob at the super bowl and the country goes into meltdown! Don’t you think that irrefutable proof that we are not alone in the universe might have an effect?

Ah well. At least the pilot was kind of cool.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Hell, not only was society unaffected, somehow the government managed to cover up the event itself! That was indeed a large suspension-of-disbelief pill to swallow.

Bump. The second and final season FINALLY coming out in Oct. This story broken by TV Shows on DVD:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/War-Worlds-Season-2/14212

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm a little on the fence about this. I also snatched up the first season, and the episodes were as good as I remembered. The quality of the DVD left a lot to be desired. In fact, it has one of the worst picture qualities of any of the discs I own, even including discs I converted from Laserdisc or VHS.

So, for this second season (which I agree with the majority was not as good, although it had its moments), do I want them to have improved the picture quality or not. I don't know how I'd feel with a Good Season/Poor Quality and a Poor Season/Good Quality. Then again, do I want to pay for a Poor Season/Poor Quality just to be complete?

David Weicker

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Tony J Case Meh - the series never really did anything for me beyond the pilot movie (which was pretty cool). The problem that I had with the series was the basic premise - a direct tie-into the George Pal movie - was flawed. You see, you cant have a nearly end of the world event like the 1950's invasion without very basic changes happening to society. Cities have been wiped off the map, thousands and thousands of people are dead. Giant war machines with alien technology light years ahead of anything we posses litter the landscape. . . . . and yet here it is, 1989 (or there about) and nobody seems to have noticed. The most significant event in human history, and life rolls on like nothing happened. Hell, Janet shows some boob at the super bowl and the country goes into meltdown! Don’t you think that irrefutable proof that we are not alone in the universe might have an effect? Ah well. At least the pilot was kind of cool.
That is the very reason why after watching the pilot and seeing my intelligence insulted with the idea that the world has gone on as if nothing really happened with no fundamental changes in the interim, I bailed out and sold my S1 set. (I bought this back in the days when there was much less of my favorite shows on DVD than there are now!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks