Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

War of the Worlds tv series...I wonder?.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 of 32 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted August 09 2010 - 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tony J Case 

Meh - the series never really did anything for me beyond the pilot movie (which was pretty cool). The problem that I had with the series was the basic premise - a direct tie-into the George Pal movie - was flawed.

You see, you cant have a nearly end of the world event like the 1950's invasion without very basic changes happening to society. Cities have been wiped off the map, thousands and thousands of people are dead. Giant war machines with alien technology light years ahead of anything we posses litter the landscape. . . . . and yet here it is, 1989 (or there about) and nobody seems to have noticed.

The most significant event in human history, and life rolls on like nothing happened. Hell, Janet shows some boob at the super bowl and the country goes into meltdown! Don’t you think that irrefutable proof that we are not alone in the universe might have an effect?

Ah well. At least the pilot was kind of cool.

That is the very reason why after watching the pilot and seeing my intelligence insulted with the idea that the world has gone on as if nothing really happened with no fundamental changes in the interim, I bailed out and sold my S1 set.   (I bought this back in the days when there was much less of my favorite shows on DVD than there are now!)

#22 of 32 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,354 posts

Posted August 10 2010 - 12:06 AM

[quote]Originally Posted by Jack P [url=/forum/thread/205266/war-of-the-worlds-tv-series-i-wonder#post_3718570]

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 40,132    :biggrin:   ( 847 Series )  :B)  Movies - 2,538 :B)   Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B) Documentaries  500 :B)

#23 of 32 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,772 posts

Posted August 10 2010 - 02:48 AM

right the military would have been studying that tech ever since we got it.

#24 of 32 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted August 10 2010 - 03:06 AM

But even more than that, how can one assume that we still had a Vietnam War, or that other wars of the 60s, 70s, 80s around the world still happened?     The whole point of the 53 movie would have presumably altered forever the diplomacy among nations (and we would also have needed to see the rebuilding of Paris, London, Los Angeles etc.)

#25 of 32 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted August 10 2010 - 04:20 AM

Guys, it's SciFi, suspension of disbelief, right?    Or if you prefer, Fantasy SciFi, in any case, it's just a show, for entertainment.  It's not a documentary.

#26 of 32 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted August 10 2010 - 04:36 AM

"Suspension of disbelief" though has its limits, particularly when we're talking about the very premise of a show.    The show sold itself as a continuation of the 1953 movie and as such it had an obligation to project a plausible framework within that conceit.     It's one thing to sell suspension of disbelief for a plot contrivance within a story but if the premise isn't secure, that's just bad writing IMO.

#27 of 32 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,819 posts

Posted August 10 2010 - 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Villafana [url=/forum/thread/205266/war-of-the-worlds-tv-series-i-wonder#post_3718666]  Or if you prefer, Fantasy SciFi, in any case, it's just a show, for entertainment.  It's not a documentary.

I'm a huge fan of a show about a 900 year old man who flies around time and space in a magic phone booth fighting world destroying aliens with egg whisks for hands, so suspending my belief is not a problem for me.

It's just that building a show on such a flawed premise - that NOTHING would have changed in the post-alien invasion world 1989 from the Our 1989 is crippling. Either ingore the 50's movie and just start with a secret invasion or pick up where the Pal flick left off and go from there - but they cant do it both ways.

#28 of 32 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,772 posts

Posted August 10 2010 - 10:36 AM

even inspite of the flaws I still plan to get season 2 of this show.

#29 of 32 OFFLINE   kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,045 posts

Posted August 17 2010 - 01:32 AM

I just started watching the pilot and the picture quality is not that great. I wonder where they got the source material for the dvds.

#30 of 32 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted August 17 2010 - 06:18 AM

I have some TV copies of the second season, presumably from VHS recordings, and the quality is just horrible.  I'm hoping that the new DVD's have at least 16 mm quality.  The copies I have seen look like 20th generation or something.  Ugly.

#31 of 32 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 26 2010 - 03:28 PM

Bump.  Just watched the first episode of the Second season and the quality is MUCH improved over Season 1.  We aren't talking pristine by any means, but definitely very watchable, and in my opinion much better than the previous release.

#32 of 32 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 26 2010 - 03:30 PM

Just finished watching the first episode from the new season 2 release, and the quality is MUCH better in my opinion than season one.  Not pristine by any means, but definitely an upgrade and very watchable in my estimation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users