Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

War of the Worlds tv series...I wonder?.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,923 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 01:02 AM

With the upcoming remake of War of the Worlds. I wonder if they will release the tv series based on the movies onto dvd? It was a syndicated series that aired between 1988 thru 1990. Here was the intro:

Quote:
They never left!
"In 1953, Earth experienced a War of the Worlds. Common bacteria stopped the aliens, but it didn't kill them. Instead, the aliens lapsed into a state of deep hibernation. Now the aliens have been resurrected, more terrifying than before. In 1953, aliens started taking over the world. Today, they're taking over our bodies!"

They're... We're Alive!

This time, the aliens are ready...

Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 02:43 AM

If it's ever going to happen, this would be the year.

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Jason Bennion

Jason Bennion

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 05:57 AM

Man, I haven't thought about that show in years! As I recall it was one of Fox's early offerings, or was it syndicated? I wouldn't mind seeing it again...
"I have often speculated on why you don't return to America. Did you abscond with the church funds? Did you run away with a senator's wife? I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me."

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 06:35 AM

I was just talking to the missus about this show the other day, saying I hoped it came to DVD to tie-in with the new film. Count me in!...
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Ed Payne

Ed Payne

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 08:27 AM

If it happens, they better bring on the Friday the 13th: The Series. It was more popular and... I liked it more. Posted Image I did like WotW, too. The second season introduced Adrian Paul (Highlander) and the vibe changed. I kinda lost interest then. But then again, I was finishing my Master's Thesis and working a full-time job, too. Posted Image I lost interest in everything. Posted Image

Ed Payne

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Gordon St Pierre

Gordon St Pierre

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 10:51 AM

Count me in to ,Always loved that show

Posted Image
Ttiberius

Ttiberius's DVDs

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 11:17 AM

Quote:
If it happens, they better bring on the Friday the 13th: The Series. It was more popular and... I liked it more. I did like WotW, too

I agree but WOTW's would be cool. Wasnt Robert Beltran from Voyager in that?

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 12:10 AM

Quote:
Wasnt Robert Beltran from Voyager in that?

No, you're probably thinking of Richard Chaves as Ironhorse (pictured above, larger-than-life!). Adrian Paul (Highlander) came in for the 2nd season. Jared Martin (Dallas' "Dusty Farlow") was there all along as Dr. Blackwood.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 04:46 AM

I would snatch this up in a second....the first season anyway. Hopefully Paramount is on the ball with this.

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 05:11 AM

Have you noticed that the new film's promotional material lifts the "martian fingers over the Earth" imagery from the opening of the series? Posted Image
-Jay

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 963 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 12:57 PM

It's been awhile, but is the new film's font style the same as the series as well?

I thought the 1st year of the series wasn't too bad, and made sure to watch most the first season on a regular basis. Then I read an article in Starlog where a new team was taking over the production of War of the Worlds for the second season. The head of this new guiding force stated he had never watched any of the first season episodes, but probably should. But he already had 'fresh new ideas' for the martians, wanted to alter some of the leads etc etc.. I tried to keep an open mind when the second season premiered, but ..Yikes, it was awful!!

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 04:37 PM

Kinda like what happened with Earth Final Conflict
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted February 13 2005 - 11:47 AM

Here's another who'd snatch this one up in a second if it were available. I remember catching the first season but lost track of it after that.

Here's hoping for a release this year.Posted Image
Recently watched- Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia, Bloodlust: Subspecies III, Gorky Park, The Last Man On Earth(1964), Lost: Season 6, Transformers Age Of Extinction 3D, The World's End, Toy Story Of Terror!, X-Men: Days Of Future Past 3D, Bloodstone: Subspecies II, Snowpiercer

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2

Irina Asanova - "KGB have better cars, you know."
Arkady Renko - "Ah, but they don't always take you where you want to go, do they?"

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   John C

John C

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted February 17 2005 - 08:02 AM

This is the holy grail of TV series for me that I'm crossing my fingers will get a release. The first season was excellent, IMHO. The show had a lot of potential that was never realized. In a theme similar to the long winded conspiracy episodes of the X-Files, it was revealed during the first season of the show that a second invasion fleet was coming within four years time and the revived aliens here had to prepare the way for future colonization. It was also surprisingly gory for a show on TV. If only the show had gotten at least a second season....ha.
The show did get a second season, which largely ignored the continuity established in the first and proceeded to gut all the creativity of the original concept. First season box sets may sell well but I doubt second season sets would.
Hopefully Paramount realizes there is enough of a cult following on this show to release it. I doubt it though, because the studio has treated this show like its bastard stepchild.

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,715 posts

Posted February 17 2005 - 12:40 PM

Meh - the series never really did anything for me beyond the pilot movie (which was pretty cool). The problem that I had with the series was the basic premise - a direct tie-into the George Pal movie - was flawed.

You see, you cant have a nearly end of the world event like the 1950's invasion without very basic changes happening to society. Cities have been wiped off the map, thousands and thousands of people are dead. Giant war machines with alien technology light years ahead of anything we posses litter the landscape. . . . . and yet here it is, 1989 (or there about) and nobody seems to have noticed.

The most significant event in human history, and life rolls on like nothing happened. Hell, Janet shows some boob at the super bowl and the country goes into meltdown! Don’t you think that irrefutable proof that we are not alone in the universe might have an effect?

Ah well. At least the pilot was kind of cool.

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted February 18 2005 - 03:05 AM

Hell, not only was society unaffected, somehow the government managed to cover up the event itself! That was indeed a large suspension-of-disbelief pill to swallow.
-Jay

#17 of 32 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted August 09 2010 - 10:07 AM

Bump.  The second and final season FINALLY coming out in Oct.  This story broken by TV Shows on DVD:

http://www.tvshowson...-Season-2/14212

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Gene M

Gene M

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted August 09 2010 - 11:19 AM

Yes! it's about @#$%!    ^&*$#@!!  %^&*$#@! Time! /img/vbsmilies/htf/drum.gif

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,755 posts

Posted August 09 2010 - 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gene M 

Yes! it's about @#$%!    ^&*$#@!!  %^&*$#@! Time! /img/vbsmilies/htf/drum.gif

My sentiments exactly.  Took them long enough to put this season out. /img/vbsmilies/htf/banana.gif/img/vbsmilies/htf/dance.gif/img/vbsmilies/htf/rock.gif

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted August 09 2010 - 02:31 PM

I'm a little on the fence about this.   I also snatched up the first season, and the episodes were as good as I remembered.   The quality of the DVD left a lot to be desired.   In fact, it has one of the worst picture qualities of any of the discs I own, even including discs I converted from Laserdisc or VHS.

So, for this second season (which I agree with the majority was not as good, although it had its moments), do I want them to have improved the picture quality or not.   I don't know how I'd feel with a Good Season/Poor Quality and a Poor Season/Good Quality.   Then again, do I want to pay for a Poor Season/Poor Quality just to be complete?

David Weicker

Forum Nav Content I Follow