Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Becks New Album to support DVD-A

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 02:29 PM

Yes, the new album, Geurro, supposed to be out in March will Support DVD-A:

Deluxe 2-disc version. Disc 1 has 3 bonus tracks and 4 remixes. Disc 2 is a DVD which features the DVD-A 5.1 mix of Guero, along with two videos and other fun stuff.

Yeehaw!!!!!

#2 of 36 Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 02:55 PM

I've been very tempted to pick up the Sea Change DVD-A release, anyone recommend it? How's the MC on it?

#3 of 36 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 03:10 PM

Sea Changes is awesome on SACD but it is very mellow to depressing.

Universal announced an SACD of Guero as well last month.
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#4 of 36 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted February 10 2005 - 03:29 PM

Sea Change on DVD-A is great, sonically, and individually, the tracks are musically impressive. Listening to the whole album in one sitting can be a bit depressing, however. The DVD-A also includes some music videos (though I haven't watched them).
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#5 of 36 AricB

AricB

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 02:20 AM

Very true, not an upbeat album, but sounds very good, and a very well done MC mix.

#6 of 36 Kris Deering

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted February 11 2005 - 04:03 AM

Lee

Universal announced the Beck albulm on SA-CD for Europe. If you go on the US site there it is only listed as coming soon for DVD-A. They don't have any SA-CDs listed as coming soon. It will probably change but that is what it is now.

Seems Warner is back into DVD-A. I received 8 REM DVD-A discs from them yesterday. They also just released Seal's Greatest Hits and 2 selections from Mark Knopfler. Hopefully this is a new trend for them.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound and Vision Magazine

#7 of 36 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 04:07 AM

Kris,

No problem, I'll do a Euro import if I have to. HFR ran a story which showed Universal was going to release the SACD in the US also.

Let us know how the REM albums sound. I may want a few. What Mark Knopfler's are out? I have ShangriLa already but the back catalog would be nice in hirez and I think Sultans was recorded to tape.
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#8 of 36 Larry Geller

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor

• 562 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 04:11 AM

Quote:
I've been very tempted to pick up the Sea Change DVD-A release, anyone recommend it? How's the MC on it?
Possibly the best MC mix ever! The DVD-A also includes 6 great videos & weird album-cover based graphics when the tracks play, making it a better value than the SACD (which sounded identical to the DVD-A on my setup).
Mmmm, snout!-Homer Simpson

#9 of 36 George See

George See

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 06:02 AM

Quote:
Seems Warner is back into DVD-A. I received 8 REM DVD-A discs from them yesterday.

Were these the duel disks with the cd as well? Rhino has the duel discs up for pre-order, the only info they have is 5.1 mixes, it doesn't say if it's hi-res dvd-a or not.

And the sea changes DVD-A gets a thumbs up from me, I love it.

#10 of 36 John Kotches

John Kotches

Screenwriter

• 2,636 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 06:13 AM

George:

I'm not Kris, but the answer to your question is yes.

Cheers,
Surround Music Enthusiast / Curmudgeon in Training
Opinions are my own, not representative of the publication I write for.

#11 of 36 Kris Deering

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 06:16 AM

Like John said they are indeed high resolution.

#12 of 36 Larry Geller

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor

• 562 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 06:18 AM

Are the discs that have already been out on hi-rez (like Best Of) exactly the same as the prior releases or have they changed the DVD-A sections?
Mmmm, snout!-Homer Simpson

#13 of 36 Kris Deering

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 06:19 AM

They appear to be identical, they just threw in the CD this time and put them in a nicer package.

#14 of 36 George See

George See

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 06:49 AM

Quote:
they are indeed high resolution.

Awesome thank you both for the info.

My credit card bill however does not thank you Posted Image

#15 of 36 Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 06:51 AM

I just checked out the 30 second samples of the whole Sea Change album on Amazon, man that sounds depressing, I think I might need something a little more upbeat for the weekend. Maybe I'll pick that up on valentine's day when I need something sadder...

#16 of 36 AricB

AricB

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 09:15 AM

Kris, are you doing reviews of them? or just purchased for yourself?

#17 of 36 Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 09:23 AM

Talk about Johnny-Come-Latelies! I've had "Sea Change" on SACD for, what, two years now? Not only is it one of the finest contemporary rock/pop titles on the format, but it's got one of the best surround mixes I've ever heard. In fact, though some may match it, none surpass it IMO!

It's my understanding that the new one will also be on SACD. As for DVD-A, not sure... it might be dual-disc instead. Posted Image
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#18 of 36 Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 11:28 AM

Matt, I tell you this...yes Sea Change can be depressing, but if you can live with that, this is one of Beck's finest works. I love the range this guy has. One album all up beat and funky, the next slow and thoughtful.

It's my favorite album of his and the DVD-A is in my opinion, the best mix of a DVD-A or SACD.

If you have the 5.1 set up, it's a must have.
Posted Image

#19 of 36 Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 12:01 PM

Quote:
Matt, I tell you this...yes Sea Change can be depressing, but if you can live with that, this is one of Beck's finest works. I love the range this guy has. One album all up beat and funky, the next slow and thoughtful.

I actually just got back from Best Buy a few minutes ago (remembering seeing they ACTUALLY had 1 copy on their pathetic shelf) and I'm listening to it now. I've always enjoyed Beck, so while it is a bit depressing, I still like it, and this mix is amazing. I love the artwork that plays while the song is on as well, one of my complaints has always been that there should be this exact practice on all DVD-A's, rather than just watching the tracklist. Posted Image

#20 of 36 Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 02:03 PM

Sure, Sea Change is a really melancholy album. However, if you're contemplating suicide and want to off yourself to muzik, Elvis Costello's NORTH is the king of I would of shot myself if I hadn't sung these damn depressing songs albums.Posted Image

P.S. - I might get his new album if he's over his Nick Drake phase...?
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow