What's new

Galactica 1980, anyone?...Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I was curious if there has been any mention from Universal about a potential release of the God-awful BG sequel, "Galactica 1980". Given the popularity of the new series, and the success of the DVD releases of the old series and new mini-series, this one kind of seems like a no-brainer. Speaking of no-brainer, the show was mercifully short, 10 episodes, and had only 1 good one in the bunch, "The Return of Starbuck", which showed the final fate of Dirk Benedict's Starbuck character. This episode was actually on par with the good episodes from the original series, and Kent McCord and Barry Van Dyke were nowhere to be found, blessedly.
The rest of the series featured several "Brady Bunch" stars (the delightfully-bad Robert Reed, and Robbie Rist), the always-good-even-in-bad-garbage Richard Lynch, and naturally, Wolfman Jack as himself. His particular show, a 2-parter nonetheless, featured a human Cylon (did the new show rip off this idea?)and his Cylon co-pilot who try to use Wolfie's radio station broadcast tower to send a signal to the Cylon Empire about Earth's location.
Since the show originally aired in the Sunday 7pm "education hour", "Galactica 1980" had to provide important learning tools and positive messages for kids (thanks, FCC), including the earth's mass and composition, how pollution is destroying our society, how recycling and solar energy are important, why Nazis are really bad, how motorcycles can fly, and how to build your own Cylon to play cards with.
Not to mention the fact that Galactica apparently observed Earth transmissions showing ABC's "Wide World of Sports" in the pilot episode. If the Cylons, in their pursuit of Galactica, observed similiar transmissions of ABC's "Webster" and Bob Saget, this would explain why they wanted to bomb Earth and humans back to the stone age...

Anyway, if anyone has any info on this, please speak up; I want to buy 10 copies to torture people with...

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
I would probably buy it just for the episode you cite: The Return of Starbuck. Before I got the original series, I was hoping that my memory was faulty and "Return" was part of it. In any case, it would probably be a 2 disc set, which would work out nicely (1 disc for "Return", and a coaster for my drink when I watch it)....:D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Indeed, The Return of Starbuck is the only one that I would want....although the episode with the humanoid Cylon (and Wolfman Jack!:D ) was ok in it's own kitschy kind of way.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Oh, but you left out the best asset to the cast: the very dishy Robyn Douglass as Jamie Hamilton. She was very easy on the eyes!

True, the format was basically killed by it's "family hour" timeslot, but the fact that ABC - after seeing initial ratings for the original telecast of "Galactica Discovers Earth" - hurriedly picked the show up for the new season, meaning Larson and Co. had very little time to prepare anything. It showed.

I would buy this show, mainly for completeness sake. I doubt we'd get any extras, but if Universal would dig into the archive and give us the footage that was shot for "The Day They Kidnapped Cleopatra", it'd be even sweeter (they were in the middle of filming this episode when the word came down from the network that the show was toast).

It's kind of a shame that the show didn't get a full-season pickup. One of the unfilmed scripts ("Wheel of Fire") shows us what becomes of Starbuck after the events of "Return of Starbuck" (for the curious, do an internet search and you should be able to find the complete script online).

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The "Wheel Of Fire" script shows the best kind of lemonade that could have been made from the very sour lemon that "Galactica 1980" was.

Any attempt to liken the current imposter airing on Sci-Fi channel to a specific kind of fruit would only cause me to gross everyone out, so I shall refrain from doing that. :D

They should release it anyway just for completeness sake and yes, I wouldn't mind seeing that unused footage for the never-finished episode either.

Chris Stainton

Second Unit
I too would love to have the "Return Of Starbuck" episode. The rest I doubt I would watch much. If they kept the price reasonable ($29.99 or so), I would pick this up.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I would get it for the initial episode, where they show the simulation of Cylons destroying LA (what a hoot! that footage made it into a Tom Petty music video, BTW) as well as the great Return Of Starbuck episode. :D

And not to mention that Robyn Douglas really is easy on the eyes.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
Oh, and I'm a one of them damned completists, too. :frowning:

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be all over it. Glen A must have been really drunk when they did it. The three hour opener is so random and scattered it's almost beatnik poetry.

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator
Going to add my tiny voice to this. I'd buy it as well just because I'm a completist and the Return of Starbuck episode was quite good, the uneditted pilot wasn't too bad either.

Currently really psyched that its only six weeks until the first season of the new series of BG shows up on DVD. Hope there's lots of extras!!!

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Why not have Universal release a "Best Of" collection of Galactica 80? They could put on "Return of Starbuck" and, er, and...

Rutgar

Second Unit

Really? I didn't know this. I may have to stop watching it on Sci-Fi then, and wait for the DVD's.

Oh yeah, I'd also buy G-80 if it came out on DVD.

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
Many Galactica fans deny the existence of Galactica 1980. I'm all for bringing it to DVD even if the target audience is limited. At least consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks