What's new

new tv? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Swenson

Stunt Coordinator
i have a panasonic 50 inch lcd, it works fine ,has maybe 2 burnt pixels that irritate the heck out of me that bother no one else at home, i am getting a few thousand for profit sharing in a couple weeks so instead of waiting for the 1080p tvs to come down to under 3000 i am thinking of upgrading now ,to maybe one the the 720p lcos tvs, anyone know how good that rca 52 inch one is? or isnt there a philips out? i still havent decided yet to upgrade but now is a good time because of profit sharing, and i am planning part of next years already for a hd dvd player,

would you guys upgrade now or wait until you could get the 1080p ones? i checked out the lcos at a store and compared it to lcd, the lcd seems to stick out with noticable pixels next to the lcos tv, big difference,

i use my tv pretty evenly devided between dvd,hd,and xbox, i wouldnt need a built in tuner because i just picked up a new STB, but i suppose it wouldnt hurt,
any recommendations under 3000 or on the best way to sell my 50 inch lcd?

John S

Senior HTF Member
If a 1080p is truly your goal, I would wait. But if just having a display with no burnt pixels driving you crazy is really your goal, go a head and buy one now. :)

Simple useless logic I know, but that is how I feel on it.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
The Phillips LCOS sets have been "off" the market due to recalls and redesigns more than they have been on the market. I can't say I have been impressed with the overall pic. quality either. OTOH, I have that Pan. set you have and got it bec. I was very impressed.

Have you calibrated the set?

How close are you that you can see individual pixels?

Have you contacted the vendor/Panasonic about the pixels?

Truthfully, anything you get could only be slightly better, and IMHO any make could be worse due to the variabilities in manufacturing (CA, pixels, convergence, fan/color wheel noise, etc.).

Still, if you are that unhappy, get another. But if you aren't going to maximize the pic quality of it, you 'll end up disappointed with that one too.

Jeremy Swenson

Stunt Coordinator
i spent tonight watching with my new ota hd tuner, that seems to make a huge difference over my older one, some of the problems that i thought were the tv seem to be from the old set top box, there are still some problems i dont like, like when something fast happens there are some pixels, but this seems much better, i might put my 2000 bucks away and get something when 1080p comes down, or if i can sell my tv for a decent price i may do it anyway, but i dont feel i have to upgrade now at least

Jeremy Swenson

Stunt Coordinator
i just looked quick , i see maybe 4 or 5, the one that irritates my is right smack in the middle and is real dark, looks like a speck of dirt right on whatever movie i am watching if the color turns light,

how would you make a full screen white picture to look easily for that stuff?

Scott_N

Second Unit
Well I have a 52" JVC D-ILA and I think it has a better picture than any of the LCD and DLP tv's i've seen.

Jeremy Swenson

Stunt Coordinator
scott, do you have any problems with the jvc at all? that is the one i have been thinking of, comparing it at best buy to mine seems to make quite a bit of difference

Scott_N

Second Unit
Jeremy

I haven't had any problems at all with my JVC but i've heard that the first batch of tv's made last year had some problems. Mine is a Oct build date so if you do decide to get one get a Oct or later build date because they had some faulty chips in the ones made last summer i've been told. The only flaw in this tv is standard def. It doesn't forgive a bad signal on the analog part of my cable but the digital part looks fine. On the dvd's the picture is great but on HD it's as good or better than i've ever seen on any tv. I got to see a Sony LCD a Samsung DLP and my JVC at my dealers in the same properly lit room being fed the same signal and it was no contest for me. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks