Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Panasonic PT-AE700U??? anything better for the same price

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   allan espinoza

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 08:50 PM

Well I am close to purchasing the Panasonic PT-AE700U, but with a price tag at $3,000 I wanted to know if you guys had any suggestions to any other of the same quality with a lower price tag or same? I preferably would like it to have hdmi, thanks.

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted February 10 2005 - 01:39 AM

Greetings If you stay in the LCD realm, then it is this or the Sanyo Z3 ... which are pretty much comparable to each other. You won't find a set that gives you $5000 performance for $2500 ... Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 04:58 AM

Actually, from what I hear, you should be able to find the 700 for about $2000 if you shop around... Jason

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   allan espinoza

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 01:16 PM

they have the 700 on ebay for about $2000 plus a da lite screen, but i heard someone say something bad about buying projectors on ebay so I am not sure if I should or not.

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   Chris PC

Chris PC

Producer

• 3,994 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 02:24 PM

AE700 is available at most places for $1900 to $2000 USD
Going from projector to flatscreen for a while.... :P

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,727 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted February 10 2005 - 02:49 PM

You should check into the Sanyo Z3. It has a 3 year warranty, and the Panasonic is only 1 year. That is why I will NEVER buy a Panasonic projector.

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 04:59 PM

go to www.projectorcentral.com find your projector, and see what dealers they recommend. Call them for a quote and they should give you one WELL below retail.

I got my 4805 from projectorcenter.com and I got excellent service & a great deal. For ~$2k I'll agree the AE700 probably is the best bang per buck.

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   allan espinoza

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 09:01 PM

so what about ebay? I don't know in what thread it was that I read that it was not good to buy a projector on ebay, but any experiences in here?

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   SeanBurnley

SeanBurnley

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 05:00 AM

The Panny 700 and Sanyo Z3 are compared at projector central.com. Check that out. Also, in the March issue of Home Theater Mag., a guy bought his projector on ebay and said NEVER again. "I took a deep breath and a leap of faith and bought it. I have never bought anything that expensive––nor will I ever again––off the Internet, and I had a sinking feeling I had made a major blunder". The article goes on to tell that the projector arrived in flimsy/torn box with little protection. Ended up working out fine however, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from any reputable online projector store.

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter

• 1,210 posts

Posted February 13 2005 - 06:18 AM

Stay away from Ebay and spend a few extra hundred dollars for quality customer service and piece of mind. Consider visualapex.com, I bought my Panny 300U from them and they were great. I also purchases a 4 year extended warranty from them for about $150. If you're paying more than $2000 for this projector then you're being ripped off!
"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." Muhammed Ali, (Cassius Clay)

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   Aaron Smithski

Aaron Smithski

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted February 13 2005 - 07:00 AM

If you were to read that article a bit more thoroughly, you would notice that the projector the gentleman purchased was a used Runco CRT that orginally retailed for more than $10,000. The guy won it for $1800.

Who knows how the seller aquired the Runco, but he apparently did not package it's 100+ pound bulk adequately for the shipment across the country; and the buyer feared the worst when the package arrived looking worn & torn.

Again, if you read everything, you will see that the buyer then called in a Runco tech from a few hundred miles away to check over the projector. The tech deemed it was fine save for a loose chip, and actually had said it hadn't "gotten much mileage" and would be able to be enjoyed "for many years to come."

So maybe the buyer didn't come out too bad after all. Posted Image

I purchased my Panasonic PTL-300U from VisualApex.com a few years ago, and it was a very smooth process. They had the best price by far at the time for the piece. And if anybody is worried about shipping, it weighed 8 or so pounds and was very well protected and double-boxed. Posted Image

To recommend 'avoiding the internet' as a blanket statement is a very ignorant thing to do.

I would agree with you if you said 'be wary of purchasing a $10,000 retail 100+ pound used CRT projector off of eBay without first ensuring that the seller is going to crate the unit properly for shipment'. Posted Image

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted February 13 2005 - 08:49 AM

Well, there is a difference between 'avoiding the internet' and 'avoiding E-Bay' Posted Image

Personally, I'd only buy on E-Bay if I feel it is worth the risk. For an older projector that I can get cheap? It probably will be worth it. For a relatively new model? I'd rather trust vendors.

Jason

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   SeanBurnley

SeanBurnley

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted February 14 2005 - 09:00 AM

Well geez Aaron, I did read the article closely. Maybe you should have understood that I was quoting from it and by infrance was giving the author's opinion. AND if you'd have read my post more thoroughly you would have read "I wouldn't hesitate to buy from any reputable online projector store." Since I didn't have any e-bay projector 1st hand experience I hoped the article would help. So much for trying to help.

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,369 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted February 16 2005 - 08:08 AM

hi

I really like the Panny 700. For the price it looks quite nice.

FWIW, www.TVauthority.com is a Hometheaterforum sponsor and sells this set. Give them a phone call for the best pricing.

regards

Gregg

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   Travis_R

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator

• 247 posts

Posted February 16 2005 - 11:17 AM

avoiding the internet would be almost impossible for some, as there are not many places around here that have alot of selection on projectors, in my area I can find, Epsons, Infocus, Sharps, and Mitsubishi's and that is it, so since I have my mind set on BenQ I have no other option other than the internet

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   Aaron Smithski

Aaron Smithski

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted February 16 2005 - 04:18 PM

What does being in France have to do with this? Posted Image

Truth is I did read your post -- I just felt your 'inference' was misleading in the context of purchasing a projector off of the Internet; even though you said you thought it was ok to buy from a reputable dealer.

The story of the used CRT projector purchased on eBay does not have much to do with the original poster's Panasonic PT-AE700U inquiry.

No big deal...please continue trying to help.

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   allan espinoza

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted February 16 2005 - 11:15 PM

well I am still reading a bit more and trying to learn a bit more of what I am buying before i make the jump on the purchase. I am still confused as to whether lcd or dlp is the way to go. I hear bad things from both, but someone told me that a dlp would last longer because of something that had to do with the color on lcd washing out or something in the long run, so i dont know. Could someone tell me what they think would best fit my use of a projector? I would like to use it as a movie night display, so I plan to only use it at night where lighting control will not pose a threat. I would like to watch some hd, but will most likely be watched through my existing crt. Gaming would be nice, but the least concern and other than that it will be mostly movies. I pay a great deal of attention to detail in sharpness and black levels so I want something to handle that well. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   SeanBurnley

SeanBurnley

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted February 17 2005 - 01:23 AM

Posted Image I'm going to respond even though better judgment tells me not to:

Aaron, the ORIGINAL poster of this thread Allan said, "...but i heard someone say something bad about buying projectors on ebay so I am not sure if I should or not." THEN HE SAID, "...so what about ebay? I don't know in what thread it was that I read that it was not good to buy a projector on ebay, but any experiences in here?"

So my reply to Allan was a direct response to his questions. It was specific to EBAY not the internet. Posted Image Let me repeat it for the cheap seats. I WOULD BUY A PROJECTOR ONLINE FROM ANY REPUTABLE DEALER.... Posted Image

AND Allan, IF you can trust my opionion (misleading possibly according to Aaron) Yeah, I've read that LCD has a limit in its ability to present a quality picture. But for your purpose, I think it would be fine. By the time you saw a degredation in picture you would probably have moved on to newer, better technology at better prices anyway. You will most likely be stepping up in price to get DLP AND hi-def capability. Also, if black levels are a priority, you will probably want to stick with DLP as LCD isn't quite there yet in comparison. I'll refer you to the topics at projector central again. I think they discuss LCD vs. DLP too. Good luck.

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   Aaron Smithski

Aaron Smithski

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted February 17 2005 - 03:11 AM

Sean - Yep, I did overlook Allan's later question about eBay. Apples to oranges comparison with the new Panasonic vs. the used Runco...but I digress...I hear you Loud and Clear now! Posted Image

And I totally agree with you on your projector recommendations for Allan. On one hand, the Panasonic would be perfect since he plans to watch movies at night and does not need a light cannon. OTOH, he values his black levels. Tough call.

In the same Home Theater Magazine (hometheatermag.com) issue there is a budget projector roundup testing a Mitsubishi DLP, the Panasonic LCD, and a Sony LCD. The Panny's biggest weakness was black level. The tester was real impressed at the Sony's black level for it's price point; saying it was "truly impressive" for a budget LCD. The Mitsubishi had deep blacks along with "a little extra visual punch." Overall, he said he would be recommending the Mitsubishi as his new favorite budget projector.

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted February 17 2005 - 03:29 AM

Actually, there is a nice article on Projector Central on DLP vs. LCD.

http://www.projector..._dlp_update.htm

I actually found it very helpful.

I think the problem is finding something at the right price point. DLPs are better with black level, but right now to get something more than just the entry level, you are going to have to pay for it. That's why it is pretty likely that my DLP may be replaced by an LCD, since I can get more bang for my buck that way.

Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users