Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I got an email from the president of Nuance!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

#1 of 63 OFFLINE   MikeH1

MikeH1

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 08:22 AM

Seems like their going to make some changes and they want some advice from me on how to make and market the "new Nuance".

I wrote a big thing on the audioreview message boards last summer about these speakers and the thread ended up getting locked. Funny thing is, there was no flaming within members or anything, it was just locked. It can be found here. Personally, I think it should have been stickied to warn the audio newbie of this scam, instead audioreview would rather sweep it under the rug and let the thread dissapear. I also got a strange pm from someone over there last week, asking me why I wrote it and to email him back with my answer. I did and just said that these things were not a good value. Then I got this email and then there's this recent Nuance thread in HTF forums that Taylor started.

Something just isn't adding up.

George Baker, president/owner of Nuance who apparentley worked with API (Energy, Mirage, Athena, Sound Dynamics) back in the 1970's (but I have never read or heard this as fact) sent me 2 emails. Georges' email at Nuance.com is gbaker@nuanceaudio.com, makes me wonder why I get an email from aol account since any Joe-Blow could make an aol account. If the guy wants to be legit, use his work email at least.

I'm a little skeptical on how valid these emails are, I mean just from the way its worded reminds me of a typical pro Nuance post on the Audioreview boards.

So what do you guys think? Is this for real? Really, all I would have to tell "George" is to slash the prices to make them more akin to what these speakers are worth since they just sound so terrible. But of course, they would never do that since their making money hand over fist.

If it really is him, I think he just wants to try to shut me up Posted Image

#2 of 63 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 08:33 AM

If it is him, and they want your opinions to make it a better brand, see what they say after you request money for your time aiding their efforts. Their responce to that would be interesting. Id be skeptical of them too. you'd think he would email you his business phone # for you to call him and discuss anything rather than hound you in multiple emails questioning your motives of your thoughts in your threads. Or you could just tell him that your not a schmuck and you need him some validity to who he says he is before you talk.
Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

#3 of 63 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 09:01 AM

I'd tell him his speakers are crap, and you don't want to waste your time or his or his companies. Their speakers aren't even in the same ball park to the other makes and models listed in his email. I'm sorry but I have seen three different pair of these things now, and they are very similar to sound design of the 70's upon even casual scrutiny IMHO anyways. I mean if it is him, he's crook, if it's not him it's just some internet crud being deceptive, either way, bad news.

#4 of 63 OFFLINE   Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 09:31 AM

Those e-mails are written at a middle school level and are filled with simple errors.

They have schools in Canada? Posted Image

#5 of 63 OFFLINE   Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 09:44 AM

Do they also have engrish klasses?

#6 of 63 OFFLINE   RyanHud

RyanHud

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 10:16 AM

Good one?

#7 of 63 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,921 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 12:36 PM

YAY! Now we know the owner of the vanPosted Image

Brent

#8 of 63 OFFLINE   BradJudy

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 01:12 AM

I would ask for the NRC measurements. Posted Image

#9 of 63 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 02:57 AM

Agreed he can't even spell Paradigm correctly which doesn't boade well for him considering his association with them at one point. If it were me I'd ask for his office phone number and call him...might be a fun conversation but if they stuck to their guns about the current products being good it would be a short conversation Posted Image Also for what its worth API was founded in 1972 not 1975 and there's no mention of a George Baker anywhere on the API website.

#10 of 63 OFFLINE   Chris Fleming

Chris Fleming

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 03:08 AM

Simply answer his email, telling him you'll call him at the Nuance offices at a pre-determined time. Then follow through. Call the main Nuance phone number, and ask to speak to him. If they put you through, at least you know you're talking to the real guy. If they refuse to put you through, you'll know its a scam. Maybe it's legit, and you can speak to him directly. That would be a fun call to listen in on. later

#11 of 63 OFFLINE   JohnnyG

JohnnyG

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 03:31 AM

In my opinion, the 'problem' isn't with the product, or claiming that they have technology that they probably don't. I mean afterall, they are speakers and they do reproduce audio! The problem is their pricing strategy. Anybody who claims a 5,000 list price, then sells for 1,000 just because I'm a swell fellow, loses all credibility with me. It's the classic "white van" strategy. From what I've seen and heard, the product is in the same class as the Quest (Future Shop) and Sinclair Audio (Best Buy) range, and should be priced accordingly. I also take issue with the environment in which they are presented. The dealer is usually exclusively Nuance, so there is absolutely nothing to compare the sound to. This, of course, is a page right out of the Bose playbook (all other speakers are here, Bose are over there)

#12 of 63 OFFLINE   Andy_Steb

Andy_Steb

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 08:52 AM

I would reply back. Tell him after you repair his spelling and grammar, for a substantial fee you will agree to repair the speakers and marketing. To start off with, nuance needs to be capitalized. And if you capitalize all the letters in ceo it will look more impressive on his business card.

#13 of 63 OFFLINE   MikeH1

MikeH1

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 12:06 PM

I sent "George" a simple email back linking him to this thread.

I'm suspecting he will be doing a vanishing act now. Posted Image

#14 of 63 OFFLINE   Mort Corey

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 04:38 AM

I'll bet that you would have had a complete reversal of your opinion on these speakers had they been properly set up using Monster cables Posted Image

#15 of 63 OFFLINE   Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 04:42 AM

OMG! Monster makes even the worst speakers sound as good as Bose!!! OMG!

Posted Image

#16 of 63 OFFLINE   David Bikeman

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 04:59 AM

"Monster makes even the worst speakers sound as good as Bose!!! "

Shouldn't this be included in a FAQ somewhere? Posted Image

David

#17 of 63 OFFLINE   Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 05:01 AM

David: Yeah, maybe we should get the mods in on this!

#18 of 63 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 05:46 AM

"Used to work at Brand XXX" could easily be interpreted as "Cleaned the shitter at Brand XXX headquarters"
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#19 of 63 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 07:57 AM

That was velly funny Posted Image

#20 of 63 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 08:09 AM

One would say you dont need Monster for that. Posted Image

Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users