Photo
- - - - -

Have Circuit City stores finally given up on SACD?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 David Lawson

David Lawson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 04:03 AM

I know circuitcity.com still has a large selection at mostly reasonable prices, but the local stores I've visited recently have completely removed the SACD end caps.

No more half-assed 5.1 setup, no more selection of 20 titles, no more printed catalogs from September 2002. I checked the regular CD sections for the SACD section, just in case they decided to organize them like Best Buy does, but...nothing. Everything has vanished, and both employees and managers tell me that the B&M locations [will] no longer carry discs.

Obviously, they never got behind it in the first place, but is this vanishing act nationwide?
He obviously misinterpreted what it means to "be bullish."

#2 of 25 Rachael B

Rachael B

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,637 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 04:29 AM

Yes, judging by the 2 stores here in Petticoat Junction....
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#3 of 25 charles white

charles white

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 05:13 AM

If you look hard, you may find one or two in the racks but they have long since threw in the towel on SACD and DVD-A.

#4 of 25 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 06:14 AM

A long time ago....not that I would go to Circuit City for my SACDs.
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#5 of 25 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 09:40 AM

Did you ask where the Divx discs went too? Posted Image
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#6 of 25 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,396 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 10:19 AM

I don't miss them at all. They never had a good selection of titles. This is no big whoop. Posted Image
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#7 of 25 Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 02:44 AM

So disappointing, the only store in my city that carries any DVD-A is Best Buy, they've had the same cycle of like 20 titles for the past year and a half, never anything different. Most stores are like "ohh you mean DVD concerts..." Posted Image

#8 of 25 Darryl

Darryl

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 03:48 AM

The Circuit City nearest to me hasn't carried SACD or DVD-A for months, maybe as much as a year.

#9 of 25 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 12:46 PM

I can tell you that a problem some retailers have had with SACDs is people buying them then bringing them back after they won't play in their standard CD player- they say stuff like "Well, it doesn't even work on my new Bose and that should be able to play ANYthing!" Posted Image This is despite any tags on the front that say that the discs can only be played on an SACD player- the average person can't f---ing read.
Besides the almost complete lack of marketing that would have at least told people what the hell SACD is, the other BIG mistake they've made with SACD is that they've produced some as hybrid discs that can also play in regular CD players, but some as single-layer discs that only play in SACD players. If they wanted to get the format out to everyone, ALL titles should have been on hybrid discs, and available ONLY that way- strangely some titles are available as regular CD only AND as a hybrid SACD for a couple dollars more! That way everyone would have amassed a collection of SACDs that they could play right now on their present equipment and enjoy the added sound quality later when they upgraded. I guess that would have made too much sense though.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#10 of 25 PaulDA

PaulDA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted February 10 2005 - 03:30 PM

Quote:
If they wanted to get the format out to everyone, ALL titles should have been on hybrid discs, and available ONLY that way- strangely some titles are available as regular CD only AND as a hybrid SACD for a couple dollars more! That way everyone would have amassed a collection of SACDs that they could play right now on their present equipment and enjoy the added sound quality later when they upgraded. I guess that would have made too much sense though.

Hear, hear. Well said.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#11 of 25 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,009 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 02:40 AM

Circuit City here has dropped SACD, has a tiny handful of DVD-A, and quite a few DualDiscs.

#12 of 25 Brian L

Brian L

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 03:11 AM

Quote:
If they wanted to get the format out to everyone, ALL titles should have been on hybrid discs, and available ONLY that way- strangely some titles are available as regular CD only AND as a hybrid SACD for a couple dollars more! That way everyone would have amassed a collection of SACDs that they could play right now on their present equipment and enjoy the added sound quality later when they upgraded. I guess that would have made too much sense though.

Yeah, the tried that with the Stones, but inexplicably decided to NOT make any mention of it on the packaging. Duhh.

There were some print ads that mentioned the Stones catalog was on SACD, but of you went in the store looking, and had not read about it here or elsewhere, you would not really know for sure that you had bought the hybrid.

I agree completely, that if everything was a hybrid, but marked to make it clear that it would play on a normal CD machine, there would have been a lot of software out there that would hopefully have peaked some curiosity, leading to player sales, which would lead to more software....but I guess that was too simple for some of the marketing geniuses to grasp.

BGL

#13 of 25 anthony_b

anthony_b

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 05:56 AM

Man, I personally have not purchased a SACD/DVD-A in years.
If anyone is interested in my Sony 222es let me know.
Think before you speak....Peace always

#14 of 25 Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 11:05 AM

Anthony,

if you're dumping any SACDs, let me know what you've got. Posted Image

#15 of 25 Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted February 15 2005 - 02:50 AM

I can understand them dropping the SACD/DVDAudio only releases but how about the hybrids?
None of my CCs stocked the recent Clapton/Elton John hybrids.
I was really hoping not having to pay Border's prices on these.

Of course Best Buy wasn't any better. I think they got 2 copies of SACD Layla in the entire state of Florida.

#16 of 25 Sergio F

Sergio F

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted February 15 2005 - 05:35 AM

All great comments but I disagree that CC dropping SACD and DVD-AUDIO is a good thing. It's well established that both CC and BB have done a miserable job of promoting the formats. It has always made my blood boil when I would walk into one of these stores and ask about new releases only to find that most of the sales people would not even know where the existing discs were located let alone what the heck they were.

However, the fact remains that, in this country, these two stores probably sell more music than all other music-only stores combined. If these guys can't sell the format then who can?

Best Buy is sure to soon follow in the footsteps of Circuit City. Most of the stores I have been in have very limited selections that are rarely restocked. Also, whereas CC at least does a pretty good job of stocking titles online, all I have ever been able to find on the BB website is a page that describes what DVD-A and SACD are. There are no links to a library of titles, if one even exists. Unfortunately, to me, this spells the, quicker than we might expect, demise of both formats. WHAT A SHAME!!

I personally love Hi-Rez music, especially the well done surround discs (Elliot Scheiner is king). I just wish that the record companies had gotten their collective heads out of their you know whats and realized that Hi-Rez might have saved their industry. They have been so busy trying to fight piracy that they totally missed the boat on this. Why waste millions trying to stop the proliferation of crappy sounding MP3s when they could be selling Hi-Rez discs which are inherently difficult to copy and distribute electronically. Had they turned the public onto the joys of listening to music in hi resolution surround, no one would be bothering burning CD's or downloading MP3's anymore.

#17 of 25 Seth--L

Seth--L

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted February 15 2005 - 05:39 AM

People shop for music at CC?
Well - There it is.
My Music Collection

#18 of 25 Brian-W

Brian-W

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted February 15 2005 - 07:32 AM

Hell, has Sony and others given up on SACD (and DVD-A)? I see the same selections at every brick and mortar, as well as online.
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#19 of 25 Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted February 16 2005 - 12:57 AM

Yes, I'm afraid the writing is on the wall. Best Buy in my area set up a dedicated DVDA and SACD section about a year ago. I thought this was a good thing. When I go into that store (rarely) they have the same discs as the last time but you can tell the stock is dwindling and its not being restocked. I bought an SACD compatible player last year and went into that Best Buy and they didn't even have Dark Side of the Moon - the flagship of SACD. They still don't have it. Like I said, I don't think they are restocking.

Add to that the anemic trickle of stale titles and you can probably stick a fork in these formats.

#20 of 25 Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted February 16 2005 - 03:10 AM

Patrick, on any of the Hybrids that are primarily advertised as "remasters" try in the regular CD sectoin. Dark Side of the Moon is supposed to be in the regular section only, not the SACD section. This is the same with the Bob Dylan and Rolling Stone Discs as well.
If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow