-

Photo
- - - - -

Lost DVD news!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
101 replies to this topic

#1 of 102 OFFLINE   John Simon

John Simon

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 03:28 AM

TV Guide's "Ask Ausiello" feature included the following Q&A:

Quote:
Question: Your column makes it easy to get over the Wednesday hump. You always provide vital information to your readers. My question: Are there any plans for a Lost Season 1 DVD? If so, what is the anticipated release date? I can't wait!!! — Jack S.

Ausiello: It's coming out in early September, and I predict it'll be the biggest TV DVD of the year. Lost cocreator Damon Lindelof tells me that they have an "amazing amount" of extras planned, including "awesome commentaries," deleted scenes between Locke and Hurley, Sawyer and Charlie and Locke and young Walt; footage of the Boeing 747 being cut up in the Mojave Desert and transported via barge to Hawaii; and a look at what went into making the original polar bear sequence. But here's the best part: Lindelof says he and J.J. Abrams are considering making an original mini-movie that "answers one of the questions we've been asked very frequently about the show but have made no attempt to answer so far. It has something to do with why the plane may have crashed." Like me, the exec thinks "the DVD is gonna sell really well with or without [the bonus material], but I wanna be sure the fans are rewarded for their $39.95 or whatever Disney is charging them for a show they've already seen." Only $39.95?!?!?! I'll take two!

While I'm sure the SRP is not final, the rest of that news is fantastic. I love the show and purchasing it was a no-brainer, but these features make me anticipate it even more. Posted Image

#2 of 102 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,999 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 09 2005 - 05:43 AM

That's great! I really hope they make that mini-movie (a la 24: Season Three).

If I was a betting man, I'd say that the price will be about $60 or $70 MSRP but most stores will cut the price pretty heavily to around $40 or $50.

#3 of 102 OFFLINE   Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 11:29 AM

it's just me but i'm disappointed that the tv on dvd thing is making show creators shoot extra footage relating to plotlines and then only showing them on the dvd

I personally don't watch anything more than once and I'm certainly not paying 40+ for a single mini movie..With all the repeats they have, they can squeeze in another episode containing this footage.

#4 of 102 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,999 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 02:47 PM

I'm sure whatever they put together won't be neccesary to the viewer's understanding of the show. It'll just be a little bonus for the people that bought the set.

Like the 24 prequel you saw events after Season Three
Jack get fired, Tomas sneak into the U.S., and Jack get 'busy' with Audrey.
but if you didn't see the prequel you didn't miss out.

#5 of 102 OFFLINE   Beau

Beau

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 03:30 PM

I've only seen the first few episodes and loved them, but I don't watch much network tv, so kept forgetting to watch it. After I missed a few more episodes, I decided to wait for the DVD so I can watch them chonologically without having to try to remember catching it on tv.

#6 of 102 OFFLINE   Laurence Price

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 09:01 PM

This is great news! I have been anticipating the DVD release of Lost. Posted Image

#7 of 102 OFFLINE   Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted February 25 2005 - 05:07 AM

I think Lost is probably along with Desperate Housewives among the best shows currently on TV. Now that I've said that I have to say that it is becoming almost impossible to watch either show because of the constant commercial interruptions. I am so close to not watching anything on television and only watching the shows on DVD. There is so little show left now; it is simply ridiculous. It use to be hard to find time to use the bathroom on a commercial break. Now you can use the bathroom, make yourself a sandwich, feed the dog, and change the kitty litter all in one commercial break. By the time the show is back, I have totally lost track of what is going on. It infuriates me. It's no wonder that network viewership is not what it once was. Thank God for TV on DVD.

#8 of 102 OFFLINE   Anthony Clifton

Anthony Clifton

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted February 25 2005 - 06:40 AM

Quote:
it's just me but i'm disappointed that the tv on dvd thing is making show creators shoot extra footage relating to plotlines and then only showing them on the dvd

I personally don't watch anything more than once and I'm certainly not paying 40+ for a single mini movie..With all the repeats they have, they can squeeze in another episode containing this footage.

I agree. I look forward to Lost every week but have no desire to rewatch any of the episodes. It just isn't that type of show for me.

Guess I'll have to wait for the 'mini movie' to hit the usual torrent sites. Oh well...

#9 of 102 OFFLINE   Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted February 25 2005 - 07:25 AM

Since I have completely given up on cable television, I eagerly anticipate the release of this DVD. I have heard lots of great things about this show and look forward to seeing what all the fuss is about.

Desperate housewives, I am not so sure about, but I could watch Terry Hatcher recite from a phone book. Posted Image

Dave

#10 of 102 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,999 posts

Posted February 25 2005 - 08:44 AM

I don't like commercials either BUT to not see the show for months (or years in some cases) because of commercials is not even remotely worth it to me. It would be nearly guaranteed that I'd hear about major plot twists no matter how hard I tried to not hear about them. I wouldn't be able to discuss a show with friends. For me, it would be like cutting off your nose to spite my face.

And keep in mind SOME commercial breaks are almost designed to be mini-cliffhangers. You're supposed to say "Holy crap! I can't wait to see what happens next!" That cliffhanger aspect is gone on DVD. Admittedly when I watch a TV DVD, I don't pause it at the commercial break to recreate the 'cliffhanger' feel. Posted Image

There are two different ways to experience a serialized show (like Lost or 24) now. You can see them when they are aired and see the show slowly unfold or you can watch the DVD and see it back to back. I will always choose to watch them when they air (commercials or no).

#11 of 102 OFFLINE   BradD

BradD

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted February 25 2005 - 10:48 AM

The only problem for me is that I'm spoiled by watching LOST in HD. The DVD will be a step backwards except for the bonus materials.

#12 of 102 OFFLINE   AnnaMaria

AnnaMaria

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted February 25 2005 - 11:48 AM

For me it isn't the commercials that bother me.

It's the weeks at a time when the show isn't new.

Both Lost and Desperate Housewives have done that to me. They hook me and then suddenly they're not on for a couple of weeks, then they'll show a rerun, then take a break, and then there's a new show and I can't remember where they left off and then it's another break.

Commercials I can deal with, but this continuity problem drives me nuts.

#13 of 102 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,999 posts

Posted February 25 2005 - 12:08 PM

Maybe ABC should find a happy medium. Don't start in January (although it has been great for 24) or September (too early), maybe start the next season in late October or early November. That way there will be a few weeks of reruns but not 5 in a row and we won't have to wait forever for the season to start up either.

Brad, I watch Lost in HD too and was thinking the same thing about the PQ dropping down a notch. I'm sure the DVDs will still look great just not HD greatPosted Image

#14 of 102 OFFLINE   Chip_HT

Chip_HT

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts

Posted February 27 2005 - 04:26 AM

there's always gonna be long stretches of reruns unless they do what Alias and 24 are doing....it's called the dead space after sweeps month....and really, isn't the few weeks off over the Christmas holidays actually nice because you're usually busier and can't always sit down to catch the latest ep?

#15 of 102 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,999 posts

Posted March 01 2005 - 09:15 AM

TV Shows On DVD has a story saying that the set is coming on September 7 for $59.95.

According to the story, the extras include: five hours of bonus material, including the original pilot, behind-the-scenes footage of the making of the show; audio commentaries, a blooper reel, roundtable discussions with cast and crew, and a Matthew Fox photography featurette.

Hoorah!Posted Image

#16 of 102 OFFLINE   Dillon*G

Dillon*G

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted March 01 2005 - 09:32 AM

Woohoo.In time for my birthday.

#17 of 102 OFFLINE   Ben Silva

Ben Silva

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted March 03 2005 - 08:18 AM

Quote:
Woohoo.In time for my birthday.

ME TOO! Posted Image Posted Image

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO US!
He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people? - Touch of Evil

My DVD Collection

#18 of 102 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted March 10 2005 - 02:39 PM

I love how fast the studios are starting to pump these things out. Season 1 of LOST is due in Sept, and we already have been given the cover art.

www.tvshowsondvd.com has it right now. I love the design. Hopefully Buena Vista will keep consistancy with future seasons, unlike the route they went with ALIAS...

#19 of 102 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,999 posts

Posted March 10 2005 - 02:42 PM

That's a great cover. I'm just happy that they went with a cool image instead of focusing on the (pretty) faces of the cast.

#20 of 102 OFFLINE   Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,670 posts

Posted March 10 2005 - 10:44 PM

Can't wait. One of my favorite shows.

Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow