What's new

Xbox hard drive-anyone come close to filling it? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I just got around to starting KOTOR 2 the other night, and as I was creating save files, I realized that I've never actually deleted anything from my xbox hard drive. This means that every game I've played on it since I got it at launch has data on there, some of which include many many save files (since there were cases-like the original KOTOR-where I don't think I overwrote a file too often). Add in about 25 CDs worth of custom soundtracks, and the drive still hasn't dropped below 50000+ blocks free. Has anyone even come close to having to clean this thing up?

Part of what reminded me of this is that I finally had to clean up the mc251 on my gamecube after a few years. I know I'd gotten used to having to do this on the ps1 (and bought a DexDrive to avoid having to buy more cards), but this is really the first time I've had to deal with this problem in this generation.

Romar Armas

Second Unit
A while back several people tested out the max and found out it took about 48 hours worth of songs before the 50000+ blocks free changed.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
48 hours eh? Guess I should get copying my Cds to it for more custom soundtracks. I have held off because I was afraid of filling it. That and it takes TOO DAMN LONG!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Yup-I always wondered why I couldn't move stuff from my computer-or at least have CDDB access on the Xbox to tag files.

That's pretty much what I remembered hearing (about people copying things to fill the drive). I guess that MS overestimated the need for save space. As long as there's some sort of storage for the next generation that has a similar shelf life, I suppose that I can live without a hard drive.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, it appears that I spoke too soon. Started KOTOR2 about a week ago, and just kept creating new save files (like I did with the last one). As of about my 50th save, I noticed that there were 41 368 blocks free on my hard drive...it was actually filling up! Turns out that the KOTOR2 saves are all 1200 blocks each.

I guess you CAN actually fill the thing-I'm kinda surprised I managed to get that close.

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
The Xbox HD is an 8gig hard drive with several partiions. I forget how much is available for game saves, I think around 5gig?

In any case, this is a lot of room.

If you don't play on live, there are ways to increase HD space to whatever is needed if you find the OEM drive size to be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks