-

Photo
- - - - -

Xbox hard drive-anyone come close to filling it?

Xbox

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 12:07 AM

I just got around to starting KOTOR 2 the other night, and as I was creating save files, I realized that I've never actually deleted anything from my xbox hard drive. This means that every game I've played on it since I got it at launch has data on there, some of which include many many save files (since there were cases-like the original KOTOR-where I don't think I overwrote a file too often). Add in about 25 CDs worth of custom soundtracks, and the drive still hasn't dropped below 50000+ blocks free. Has anyone even come close to having to clean this thing up?

Part of what reminded me of this is that I finally had to clean up the mc251 on my gamecube after a few years. I know I'd gotten used to having to do this on the ps1 (and bought a DexDrive to avoid having to buy more cards), but this is really the first time I've had to deal with this problem in this generation.
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Romar Armas

Romar Armas

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 12:44 AM

A while back several people tested out the max and found out it took about 48 hours worth of songs before the 50000+ blocks free changed.
DVD Collection
Xbox Live Gamertag: GunnerXXX
PS3 Online: GunnerX

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 01:39 AM

48 hours eh? Guess I should get copying my Cds to it for more custom soundtracks. I have held off because I was afraid of filling it. That and it takes TOO DAMN LONG!
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 07:31 AM

Quote:
48 hours eh? Guess I should get copying my Cds to it for more custom soundtracks. I have held off because I was afraid of filling it. That and it takes TOO DAMN LONG!

Yup-I always wondered why I couldn't move stuff from my computer-or at least have CDDB access on the Xbox to tag files.

That's pretty much what I remembered hearing (about people copying things to fill the drive). I guess that MS overestimated the need for save space. As long as there's some sort of storage for the next generation that has a similar shelf life, I suppose that I can live without a hard drive.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted February 22 2005 - 02:04 PM

Well, it appears that I spoke too soon. Started KOTOR2 about a week ago, and just kept creating new save files (like I did with the last one). As of about my 50th save, I noticed that there were 41 368 blocks free on my hard drive...it was actually filling up! Turns out that the KOTOR2 saves are all 1200 blocks each.

I guess you CAN actually fill the thing-I'm kinda surprised I managed to get that close.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   John Kilroy

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted February 24 2005 - 03:18 AM

I still have 50,000+ blocks, had mine and een playing furiously since launch day...

JK
I'm John Kilroy, and I approved this message.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted February 24 2005 - 07:42 AM

Quote:
Yup-I always wondered why I couldn't move stuff from my computer-or at least have CDDB access on the Xbox to tag files.

Chris, I'm pretty sure the Music Karaoke whatever game that came out allows u to do that.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   JohnA

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted March 02 2005 - 06:00 AM

The Xbox HD is an 8gig hard drive with several partiions. I forget how much is available for game saves, I think around 5gig?

In any case, this is a lot of room.

If you don't play on live, there are ways to increase HD space to whatever is needed if you find the OEM drive size to be a problem.
Thrilled to be actively back into hometheater after a few years absence.

Forum Nav Content I Follow