What's new

Wiring Extra Speakers (1 Viewer)

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
I've been told that the best method to wire-in exta speakers is to run the speaker cable from the extra speaker to the AVR. At that point combine the speaker cable from the extra speaker with the speaker cable from the primary speaker. This combination is then connected to the appropriate AVR speaker input.

Opinions?

Sidney

Stunt Coordinator
Just to warn you is that you're putting more of a load on your amplifier by placing your speakers in parallel.

What's your setup.. hard question to answer if we don't know what type of speaker outputs your recever has.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I had done this before cause I thought it would sound cool...It actually sounded like crap but that's my opinion. I also don't think it is the greatest thing that you could do for your equipment. Why would you want to do this? Not askign to be a jerk just curious.

John S

Senior HTF Member
yes, a parallel jump is an ok method for sure. I surely would not run two separate wires back to the AVR if they plug in to the same place / channel on the output.

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
The purpose was to run two left surround backs and two right surround backs. The equipment is HK AVR 525 and Infinity Point Fives in surround back, Inf Alpha 20's as surrounds, Inf Alpha 50's in front, an Alpha 37c center and finally an Inf 250W 12" Front firing sub.

I have since abandoned the multiple surround backs. Thanks to all for the valuable input.

Louisp

martyTeboe

Grip
This brings up something I'm unclear about...

I do understand that there is no discrete 7.1 software, as yet. I read in another thread that a 7.1 amp takes the 6.1 formatted software, and plays the rear center material on two speakers, and the left and right surrounds on one speaker each.

My question is this...on my 6.1 receiver, I want to add a 2nd rear center speaker. Is it better for me to run two cables from the receiver to each of the two rear centers, or is it better to run a cable from the existing rear center to the new one?

The answers I've gotten in the past tend to make me think that it's exactly the same thing, but the information in this thread leads me to believe otherwise.

Thanks!

mt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks