What's new

Next Calgary Meet? (1 Viewer)

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Calgary HT enthusiasts!!
I recently brought up the idea over on AVS Forum that there are enough of us posting that we should maybe host a local get-together.
That's when Michael Chen (Michael TLV) stepped in to say that some of you had already done this! While at first disappointed that I had "missed out", I then read that a new Calgary meet was in the works.
Since I'm not one to be too patient, I thought I'ld get the ball rolling. I'm certainly not expecting people to be impressed with my meager condo setup, but I'm willing to act as organizer/host if that's what's needed.
Let's get things going! It's still prime home theater season so I'm sure we all have lots to share and discuss.
Dale S. aka Frustrated (at Denon) in Calgary

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Dale....
I have attended a couple of the earlier Calgary HT meets. I am more than interested in yet another. Please keep me posted on any upcoming ideas, dates, etc.
Regards,
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

Chris M

Second Unit
Count me in! My shifts at work will let me do this anytime finally!
I don't have a large system or a lot of room, so my place is out, but I'd love to see what some other people have. I believe one fellow here managed to get us into the Smart Home shop which has some great gadgets and a great demo theatre... that would be neat :)
Don't know if that can happen again (I missed last time) sigh.
Anyway, again... I'm in! :)
Chris.

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Stacey/Chris:
With the 3 of us and one friend of mine who doesn't post on the forums, we're up to 4 already. I'm actually waiting for one of the more experienced members who set these up before to chime in, as I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I also plan to post info about the proposed meeting on other forums, so I'm sure we'll get a decent response.
Stacey - how many attendees have come out for the past meets and can you give me a little background on the types of events? Thanks....
Dale S. aka Frustrated (with Denon) in Calgary

Sean_Prior

Auditioning
Count me in for the next meet, I was at a couple before and hope to gain some more insight from attending another.
------------------
Sean Prior

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I'm in Edmonton but a meet would be worth the drive down if it was on a weekend or something. Be cool to meet some other HT people in my area.
Dean

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Dale....
The last 2 meets that Sean and I attended were made up of roughly 5 or 6 people. We usually met at someone's house and had a look at their system. The first one I attended was at Michael Chen's (aka...Michael-TLV). This one proved to be very informative....it was Michael who got me seriously thinking about a High Definition TV.
If I may, these are some of the things I would like to do on the next CGY.HT.MEET.
- Go DVD shopping
- Go to a "true" HT store for some demos.
- Maybe go for Lunch somewhere.
- Check out someones HT, test out a few of the discs we'd bought.
I am in the process of building a dedicated HT in my basement(wiring stage). It may not be done in time for the next meet, but I would gladly host another after it's completion.
Keep me in the loop!
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Dale....( I should have posted this above....)
Don't worry about stepping on anyone's toes. There really isn't any senior members in this regard. For the first meet that I went to, Michael-TLV posted about a gethering, and we went. If I remember correctly, Michael is very busy with his ISF tours. He may or may not be around(interested) for this one. If you want to take control of the next HT meet, go for it!
Regards,
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Stacey,
Thanks for the input. I like your suggested plan, so unless I hear otherwise, that's what we'll do. I'ld like to schedule it for a Saturday if that's agreeable. I think that will give most of us the best chance of attending. And that even includes Dean... no Edmonton/Calgary rivalry when it comes to enjoying home theater. :) So here's the plan:
1. DVD Shopping - 'The Grand Tour' will include Future Shop, A&B Sound, and possibly Video & Sound. Any other suggestions? DVD Now? HMV?
2. Visit to a local HT shop - my thoughts are K&W Audio, Smart Home Systems, General Audio, Sounds of Music or Loyalty Sound. Let me know your preference(s) so I can arrange something with the store owners.
3. Lunch - Chianti's, Luciano's, Moxies, Jack Astor's, Joey Tomato's. Others?
4. Visit someone's HT setup - as much as I don't mind my setup, I'ld really like to see someone's true home theater. If no-one else offers though, I'll offer up my meager condo setup for the task.
Again, these are just my suggestions, but others are welcome. Thanks for the help so far.

Sean_Prior

Auditioning
Sounds like a good plan to me. HMV isnt a really good place to go DVD shoppin as they are usually much more expensive then everywhere else and dont have near the selection. As for the other places mentioned, sounds good.
I wish I could volunteer my HT setup but it only fits 3 comfortably and I'm not sure if you will like the 19' TV. Let me know though, btw I'm up in the NW.
As far as dates go for me, any weekend is usually good say for mid April as final exams begin. Other then that, I'm impartial to where we go.
Sean

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
My thoughts...subject to change ;-)
Future Shop or CD-Now(Never been there)
Any High-End HT shop
Lunch(any of the above choices)
Hang out at someone's place to try out their HT
As I mentioned, I am in the process of building a dedicated HT room. It won't be finished for about another month or so. If we are holding our meeting before this, it will have to be at someone else's place. If we schedule after my completion date, I am more than happy to demo at my place. (We can put my "future" Sony 53HS10 to the test!)
Keep me updated guys!
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

Chris M

Second Unit
Saturday is good for me. My wife will probably want to join. Future Shop, A&B Sound are good, DVD Now! is pretty cool place, they have quite a selection of Criterion discs. I would really like to see Smart Home Systems as I've never been there and I find Smart Home stuff fascinating.
I have a fairly large collection of DVD's, including some demo quality stuff, if there is a movie in the collection that people would prefer to see I can provide the disc.
My DVD's
March would be the best time for me (mid-end of).
Chris.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
A Saturday sounds great, gives me time to get there and back. My only suggestion would be to set a date at least a couple weeks in advance so everyone has plenty of time to plan for it.
Dean

Dan Mercier

Stunt Coordinator
You can probably count me in for this experience.
It all depends on the date and whether I'm available.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
If I am around ... I'd like to join in on the festivities ...
Smart Home is finishing up their set up of a $65K Runco FPTV about now ... it should look pretty cool soon. ( it probably looks cool now though. :) )
I'll ask the guys there about hosting a leg of a HT meet ...
Regards
------------------
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to Michael, I've taken the bull by the horns and arranged our visit to Smart Home Systems. Rod Moysey, the floor manager and projector person will be our host. We now have to decide on which Saturday people would like to attend.
I've tentatively set aside March 17th and March 24th. Rod would like us to arrive at 10am, as the store gets rather busy after 11am. Beyond that, I suspect the schedule to develop as follows:
10:00am - meet at Smart Home Systems for demos of 3 different projector setups, ranging from $7K to $65K for the projectors alone
12:00pm - lunch at Chianti's on 17th Ave SW
1:00pm - start the DVD shopping tour with DVD Now on 17th Ave SW. Then off to Future Shop and A&B Sound. My preferences are the NE locations as they are quite close to each other. Then, if demand or time permits, a last stop at Video and Sound on Center St. N.
4:00pm - estimated time for arrival at whomever's house we decide to invade. If no one else offers, my meager condo setup on 45 St. and Richmond Rd. SW will be available. Seating is first come, first served. I can comfortably seat 6, with kitchen/bar chairs for the rest.
The demo/play session, if held at my place, can go on as late as people want. We could order in dinner (aka pizza, chicken, etc) or people may want to break and visit another restaurant. Westhills has many eateries including Montana's, Kelsey's, Jack Astor's, Earl's, and Moxie's as well as assorted fast food stops. If we plan to visit another restaurant, reservations should be made so try and advise me.
I will warn people that I do own a cat, so if you are allergic, take some antihistamines or offer a different location.
I guess it's up to you folks now. Start by letting me know if the above is OK, and if the schedule seems appropriate. Then choose your date - the 17th or 24th. Lastly, offer a demo location and/or alternate dinner plans. I'm looking forward to it... :)

Sean_Prior

Auditioning
Sounds like a well thought out plan to me. I've got no preferences to which Saturday so I'm game for either.
One minor concern I had was varying locations of the places, a great selection nevertheless, just they are scattered all over the city. I was curious as to whether or not we might be able to organize a car pool or something rather then having everyone drive everywhere in seperate cars. Not to mention, I've never been to most of the places on your list so I'm not even sure where they are. :)
As for the schedule, it looks good Dale and sounds like it will be a great day.
Sean
------------------
Sean Prior

Chris M

Second Unit
I'm in the exact same boat as Sean, either Saturday is great, and carpooling would be a good idea, I've been to most of the places, so I can drive an extra 2 around (albeit somewhat uncomfortably in the back of my Saturn coupe). :) Of course, comfort is not the idea, the idea is Home Theater!
Other than that Dale, your plan sounds great!
At this time I'm counting 8 people:
Me & wife
Sean Prior
Dale S
Michael TLV
Dan Mercier
Dean Cooper
Stacey V
Chris.

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
So far I actually have 9 for a count. My friend Adam who doesn't post on the forums would also like to join us. He also owns a mini-van with comfortable seating for 6, possibly squeezing in 7 (including driver). If people want to car-pool, my suggestion would be for people to arrive at my place on the Saturday morning at about 9:30am. Your vehicles can be left there and we can take Adam's van and one other vehicle, unless more people decide to join.
Based on the current responses, I'm going to try and set the date as March 17, 2001. If this is agreeable, I will post further address details and ask for confirmations. Talk to you all soon.
Calgary and area local HTF meet, March 24th 2001 http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000205.html

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to chime in a preference to hold our meeting on Saturday the 24th. It looks like I will be in Edmonton for business on the 17th. If we could change it I would appreciate it! This is shaping up to be a great meeting...my thanks to Dale for organizing this one!
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

Users who are viewing this thread