-

Photo
- - - - -

Greatest American Hero!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
153 replies to this topic

#1 of 154 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,097 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted May 27 2004 - 01:40 AM

Believe it or not...

(sing with me people)

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#2 of 154 OFFLINE   R. Kay

R. Kay

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 06:55 AM

I hear they replaced the theme music to 'Believe it or not, George isnt at home' ... George Costanza's answering machine message from Seinfeld.

Posted Image

#3 of 154 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted May 28 2004 - 08:21 AM

Believe it or not, George isn't at home
Please leave a message at the beep
I must be out, or I'd pick up the phone
Where could I be?
Believe it or not, I'm not home!

#4 of 154 OFFLINE   Pete Battista

Pete Battista

Screenwriter

• 1,959 posts
  • LocationPrincess Anne, Md. USA

Posted May 25 2004 - 10:48 AM

Thank You!!!
I been waiting for this one to come out! I can't wait to hear all the details!

Thanks Dalvis and Dave!!

As always I will be watching the site Dave! Posted Image

#5 of 154 OFFLINE   Pete Battista

Pete Battista

Screenwriter

• 1,959 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 01:03 AM

I for one love the look of the season 1 boxart. But looking at the coverart for season 2.. I don't know... I just don't care for the look of the silver suit. Where does this idea come from? is it from an episode that I have forgotten about over the years?

Oh well... either way... both sets will be mine! Posted Image

#6 of 154 OFFLINE   Pete Battista

Pete Battista

Screenwriter

• 1,959 posts

Posted February 03 2005 - 11:41 PM

Mine shipped today too... some places ship before release date so you can get it on or around release date.

Unfortunately... it has been so many years since I seen GAH that I won't be able to help you with if they are as aired... but sure someone here will be able to say Posted Image

#7 of 154 OFFLINE   BrandonJF

BrandonJF

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted February 06 2005 - 12:44 AM

The only other song I remember is "Rocket Man" from the first episode. I'll be surprised if it's still there now...

#8 of 154 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted December 22 2004 - 03:04 PM

The show was definitely syndicated, and it was most definitely cut. I caught an episode six or seven years ago (can't remember which station), an episode which I'd practically memorized from an audio tape I'd made during the original broadcast (we, um, didn't have a VCR yet), and there was lots of stuff missing.

The episode, the title of which somehow escapes me, dealt with Pam being held hostage on an airplane, and Ralph acquiring yet another new power (precognition).

#9 of 154 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 02:24 PM

The original Star Trek pilot ("The Cage") could certainly be called "unaired," since it wasn't aired during the original series run. It popped up years later in syndication as a one-off special (I don't know if current syndication packages include it), but I'd still call it "the unaired original Star Trek pilot." I'd also consider the "Heroine" pilot "unaired."

Goodness, are we really arguing about this?

#10 of 154 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted February 07 2005 - 02:55 AM

A few season 1 songs to look for:

Pilot Episode:
"Rocket Man" (Elton John)
"Space Oddity" (David Bowie)

Episode 4 ("Here's Looking At You, Kid"):
"I'm Looking Through You" (The Beatles)

...there were WAY more songs in season 2, but many of them were Joey Scarbury originals. There were still a few covers, though (which may present clearance problems):

Episode 11 ("Operation: Spoil Sport")
"The Eve of Destruction" (Barry McGuire)

Episode 12 ("Don't Mess Around With Jim")
"Don't Mess Around With Jim" (Jim Croce)

Episode 13 ("Hog Wild")
"The Sound of Silence" (Simon & Garfunkel)
"Bad Moon Rising" (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

Episode 27 ("There's Just No Accounting...")
"Taxman" (The Beatles)

...note that all of the above are songs that play in the background, or over montages, or whatever. So if they do end up cut or replaced on the DVDs, at least the actual storylines aren't being tampered with. HOWEVER, episode 14 ("Classical Gas") actually features a few songs that are performed by Ralph's students ("Brass in Pocket" by The Pretenders, for example). I'm not sure how they could replace those songs without messing up the footage. I guess we'll find out.

While I'm certainly no advocate of changing the episodes, I also recognize that this series doesn't have the widespread appeal to justify the insane costs of music clearances. I'm much more concerned about actual footage cuts (i.e. syndication versions) than music changes. Unless they take out the Joey Scarbury originals, that is! Some of those songs were really great... "Scramble," "Free To Fly," and "Dreams" come to mind...

#11 of 154 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted February 07 2005 - 11:27 AM

I guess the ultimate question is: does the music replacement constitute a dealbreaker? I'm surprised that people are actually cancelling their orders over this. They've changed a few songs, yes, presumably because the costs to license the songs are too prohibitive. Does this mean the series should never be released on DVD? I'm frankly amazed that the show is getting released at all! The series has a limited appeal, and was never really a big hit, and hardly ever pops up in syndication (it's been a good 10 years since I've seen an episode!). The changes aren't ideal.... but it's better than nothing. I'm not validating the situation, and I'm certainly not supporting the outrageous cost of licensing songs, but I can at least understand why this is happening. And you bet your ass I'm gonna buy it. I don't have the original broadcast versions on tape, and the series isn't being shown in syndication (if it were, I'd be Tivoing it and burning my own DVDs). Should I deprive myself of seeing the show because a few songs have been replaced? My answer is a resounding Hell, no! But again, this doesn't mean I'm not a bit disappointed.... just not enough to deny myself the goofy pleasure of seeing Ralph crashing into garbage cans again after all these years.

And as I posted earlier, I'm much more interested in the original songs that were composed specifically for the series, which presumably WILL be included. I've never been a fan of cover songs. Posted Image

#12 of 154 OFFLINE   Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts

Posted June 05 2004 - 06:57 AM

Wow this is great news. I can't wait to have them all. There are episodes in Season 3 that never even aired originally. I hope they include the episode trailers as well. They were really cool to watch before and after the show.
 This Are Intentionally Left Blank

#13 of 154 OFFLINE   Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts

Posted February 07 2005 - 09:40 AM

I just got my set today and popped in the pilot. Sadly both "Rocket Man" and "Space Oddity" are changed to some cheesey crap. Which is a shame because both shows added to to the show.

I thought the music clearance wouldn't be as big of an issue with cover versions...but I guess they are. Maybe I'll feel motivated one day and merge the soundtrack from the syndicated versions with these versions.
 This Are Intentionally Left Blank

#14 of 154 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted June 05 2004 - 12:36 AM

It made the Rumor Mill at The Digital Bits:
Also... believe it or not... we're hearing rumors that Anchor Bay is prepping a classic unreleased TV series for DVD release in 2005... The Greatest American Hero. Nice.

#15 of 154 OFFLINE   Rob FM

Rob FM

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted December 27 2004 - 03:23 AM

OK, you guys talked me into it!
For 17.99 -it should hold some good memories...

(Believe it or not...)

#16 of 154 OFFLINE   Rob FM

Rob FM

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted January 12 2005 - 02:15 PM

April 5th, 2005

I'M THERE !!

~Rob

#17 of 154 OFFLINE   Rob FM

Rob FM

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted January 13 2005 - 06:57 AM

DDD says:
Feb 8th, 2005

http://www.deepdisco...temID=ABD012808

#18 of 154 OFFLINE   Rob FM

Rob FM

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 12:57 AM

David Lambert (who is a "Know-it-All and Max Verbosity Member") says:

Quote:
Anchor Bay says the 8th, and that's what I put in my news, too.

Amazon says "15th" for some reason (but every other e-tailer says "8th"). Our release listing said 15th until a minute ago when I corrected it to the 8th. My guess is that Gord was setting up the Amazon link when he created that release listing, and used whatever date he saw in Amazon. Sorry about that if true.

Everything points to Feb. 8th except for one e-tailer (no matter how big they are).
I believe David (even if he does wear a weird red clown nose like Patch Adams)

#19 of 154 OFFLINE   Jimmy M

Jimmy M

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted May 25 2004 - 08:55 AM

Dalvis, if this turns out to be not true I'm going to send you a bill for the clean up needed after reading your post. Posted Image

Jimmy!
"The way I live, kids would be redundant." - JMS

www.heroscapers.com is a great resource if you play Heroscape!

#20 of 154 OFFLINE   Jimmy M

Jimmy M

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted December 29 2004 - 02:02 PM

How likely is it that Anchor Bay will provide accurate information about the music in the show before the release date?

Jimmy!
"The way I live, kids would be redundant." - JMS

www.heroscapers.com is a great resource if you play Heroscape!