-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official ONG BAK: THE THAI WARRIOR Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted February 07 2005 - 03:19 PM

I just got back from a preview screening of ONG-BAK subtitled "The Thai Warrior" starring Asian sensation Tony Jaa. If you are a fan of Martial Arts movies this is one that you have to add to your "must see" list. I'm not a huge fan of the genre but I sat mesmerized for the entire 105 minutes. Huge "how did they do that?" factor without special effects or wirework. Amazing! Jacky Chan and Jet Li move over.

Check it out!
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#2 of 34 Charles Coates

Charles Coates

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted February 07 2005 - 03:22 PM

I've been trying to see this for awhile, but the only DVD availble has no English subtitles (i'm not sure they would help that much, though), and the only version that does have subtitles is the VCD.
As soon as a legit DVD comes out anywhere in the world, I'm on it.

#3 of 34 Ben_@

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted February 07 2005 - 03:27 PM

Very cool. I saw an ad for this featuring the RZA of the Wu-Tang Clan. I was skeptical about it then (despite Wu-Tang's love of kung fu), but now I'll definitely look out for this.

#4 of 34 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted February 07 2005 - 03:49 PM

They had it at a film festival or two here back in October; kicked much ass. Just an out-and-out delight.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#5 of 34 Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted February 07 2005 - 07:18 PM

it is now in my netflix queue...

#6 of 34 Anthony*B

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted February 08 2005 - 12:29 AM

I saw the same ad Ben saw for this...I'd heard a lot about it a while back (specifically in Asian Trash Cinema) but had forgotten about it til that incredible "trailer'...it looks like he (Tony Jaa) is absolutely kicking the living s**t out of the other "actors" - looked brutal/amazing! I'm checking the Hi-Pointe & Tivoli (local art film theatres in St. Louis) movie listings in anticipation of this...gotta see it!

#7 of 34 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,528 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted February 08 2005 - 04:53 AM

I believe if you do a search, there was already a discussion about this movie. I have it on VCD. There was some convention at a local mall this weekend and I saw the import DVD, but didn't buy it because it looked like a bogus copy. Very fun flic Posted Image
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#8 of 34 Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted February 08 2005 - 06:21 AM

Ted,

I don't think Netflix has the movie Ong-Bak yet, instead it is some crappy documentary which I've heard VERY bad things about. You might want to double check before keeping it in your queue.

#9 of 34 Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted February 08 2005 - 09:35 AM

thx alex. i double-checked and it does appear to be the actual movie?

http://www.netflix.c....vieid=70020954

#10 of 34 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted February 08 2005 - 10:56 AM

Just because Netflix has it available to put in your queue doesn't mean it's out yet. They put some movies on Netflix right after it hits theaters, it's just a chance for people to get a head start on reserving a copy when the DVD is released.

#11 of 34 Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted February 08 2005 - 11:49 AM

sorry, should have clarified. it's not available yet...it's in my tbd queue...not the actual shipping queue.

#12 of 34 Anthony Wolfe

Anthony Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted February 08 2005 - 11:49 AM

Ah yes, I was looking at the trailer for this (us small town folks don't get screenings Posted Image ) and it looked pretty awesome, I saw a slide under a vehicle and went *WHOA*...So I'll be checking this out once it gets a release or hits DVD.

This along with Kung Fu Hustle...NICE!

#13 of 34 Nick C.

Nick C.

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted February 08 2005 - 07:28 PM

Must-see indeed... some of the chases (with plenty of humour) really remind me of Jackie Chan at his best. I really liked how the action was filmed (despite all the big choreographed shots being repeated 3x Posted Image), that is, a lot of wide shots--this really allowed Jaa's amazing skills to shine, unlike say, in LOTR or other epics, medium/close shots of sword combat, while seemingly brings the audience closer to the action, doesn't really allow us to see the hand-to-hand combat.
later Pooh...

#14 of 34 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,688 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted February 09 2005 - 07:18 AM

Quote:
(with plenty of humour)

Uh OH! I loved the way this looked in the trailer, mainly because it didn't seem to have any humor, appearing more like an all out, old school ass kicking martial arts flick. I hope it's not played up too much. It opens this week end in town, so I'll probably check it out.

am I the only one who's sick and tired off Jackie Chan? I think Drunken Master 2 is a fantastic film, but I haven't been all that excited by chan for a long time. There are only so many times I can watch a guy run away and try not to fight, no matter how athletic and well coreographed those scenes are. I guess I just miss the old Sonny Chiba ripping a guys nuts off days .
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#15 of 34 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 07:45 AM

There's just enough humor to keep ONG-BAK fresh but, yes, it is, in essence a good old fashion good vs. evil butt kicking flick with enough bone crunching, head bashing, and other Martial Arts material to keep most people glued to the screen. And, as has been noted elsewhere, some of the really spectacular stuff gets the multiple angle, multiple shot treatment which I found effective in the theater where the lack of a remote control prevents one from backing up for a "did I really see what I thought I saw?" analysis.

Opens in theaters (I don't know how wide) on Friday 02/11/05. I understand that Quentin Tarantino has fallen in love with it and is vigorously promoting it. With other Hollywood types like Spielberg et. al. also embracing Jaa it's only a matter of time until he becomes as well known in the U.S. as he is in Asia and, as I understand it, Europe.

Fun stuff (if you have the temperment and stomach for it.)

This film has the potential for some great DVD "extras" if done right. I'll have to buy it just for the extended stunt sequences.
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#16 of 34 Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 02:05 PM

I've been waiting to see this movie for a while. Looking forward to it. I particularly like the fact that some of the fights are short(
for example, in the trailer where he knocks out the other guy with one kick
) just like real martial art fights.
To educate a man in mind and not morals is to educate a menace to society.
Teddy Roosevelt

#17 of 34 ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 04:38 PM

Here is a link to a nice clip involving a chase with some amazing stunts:
http://filmforce.ign...6/586163p1.html

#18 of 34 CaseyL

CaseyL

Supporting Actor

• 803 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 09:59 AM

Just saw the trailer for this...Looks sinkin' amazing. I'm very excited for this one.

#19 of 34 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,325 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 12 2005 - 10:20 AM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Ong Bak: The Thai Warrior" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Ong Bak: The Thai Warrior" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#20 of 34 Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 05:23 PM

Fun stuff and Tony Jaa is amazing but hopefully his talents get put into a better movie. Ong Bak was just so-so. It felt like I was watching some internet download of a guy doing amazing stuff but just slapped together.