Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Things I wish I would have done differently in my project

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#141 of 153 OFFLINE   vinman

vinman

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted December 19 2008 - 06:00 PM

Buy a house that would contain my Home Theater on the main floor of the house without having to segregate the whole thing to the basement or a dedicated theater room where the sitting arrangement often feels like being in a church staring at the screen as if it was an altar.

Integrate my Home theater with my living space to co-exist mutually in design and decor on the main floor of the house and setup an everyday viewing area with a 50 inch TV that will accommodate a dozen people and at the flick of a remote control transform the same area into a projection theater while controlling the light sources.

Conceal all the components while making them (and all the wiring including the power wires)accessible and easily removed or retrofitted while incorporating all current technology : audio, video, satellite, internet ,games etc. and leave room for future technology to come.

Automate the house to be selfsufficient and off the grid when necessary.

#142 of 153 OFFLINE   bert lancaster

bert lancaster

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted December 31 2008 - 09:51 AM

definitely soundproofing and sub floor. and acoustic isolation in the bar to keep the glasses from rattling

#143 of 153 OFFLINE   movieman58

movieman58

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 23 2009 - 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshu
Hi Guys,

I am new buyer of HT. I am buying the system from Dell, is it any good. I will let you know what i am buying tomorrow as i will be getting a quote from Dell tomorrow.

Please reply to me. It's little bit urgent.

Thanks guys

Yesh

The Dell home system is just like their computers...GARBAGE. I can tell you from experience.

#144 of 153 OFFLINE   movieman58

movieman58

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 01:30 PM

Great thread, I have a question.

Some have said they wish they would have installed a subfloor because they lose the bass and feel from the subwoofer. If you don't install a subfloor and only have carpet and pad would adding a second subwoofer in the rear of the room compensate for this??

Thanks.

#145 of 153 OFFLINE   JoeCool6972

JoeCool6972

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted November 14 2010 - 02:35 PM

For starters... be rich so I could afford better equipment and a real theater room! :P
  • Stephen_J_H likes this

#146 of 153 OFFLINE   LeRoy_B

LeRoy_B

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 26 2011 - 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by movieman58 

Great thread, I have a question.

Some have said they wish they would have installed a subfloor because they lose the bass and feel from the subwoofer. If you don't install a subfloor and only have carpet and pad would adding a second subwoofer in the rear of the room compensate for this??

Thanks.

+1

Solution to the Bass issue is to get more subwoofer...I have a single Yamaha YST-1500 12" 1000Watt sub in my 16 X 29 space, corner loaded and it does the job well. My floor is slab concrete with felt/berber carpeting.

#147 of 153 OFFLINE   Liquidsteam

Liquidsteam

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 27 2011 - 01:20 AM

I have many things I would do different. 1st is to use sound proofing in my ceiling (HT room is in basement). 2nd is to run speaker wire, RCA, HDMI, and power to a couple of ectra spot for the future. 3rd is pay more attention to lighting, not the placement but the kind of lighting. I used regular pot lights and I should have found something that was less prone to rattling. 4th install wall plates for RCA and speaker lines.

#148 of 153 OFFLINE   najtanszeoc

najtanszeoc

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 28 2011 - 11:46 AM

ok

#149 of 153 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,259 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 12:02 PM

I got a pro to set up my projector and screen and do all the wiring, so I'm lucky. It all works perfect! No regrets.

I've got a slab floor with linoleum and the bass is great. It helps to have a good sub. I've got a top of the line Sunfire and I have to pull the volume back or I start earthquakes!

Edited by bigshot, May 12 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#150 of 153 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,074 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 13 2013 - 09:11 AM

I have yet to attempt a dedicated setup, but current notes include:

In smaller rooms where you want a 7.1 setup, go with height channels up front.

Banana plugs are much easier to deal with in hookups than bare speaker wire ends.

HDMI can be a wonderful thing.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#151 of 153 OFFLINE   AlphaPie

AlphaPie

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted May 20 2013 - 11:04 AM

I built my TV stand myself as well as the other tables in the living room, because I got the materials free from work and it was fun for both the wife and I. But at the time I did not expect to build a system because we are in a townhouse at the moment. After I read, watched, talked, slept and ate home theater for the past 6 months my wife told me to go out and get started with it, lucky me :D. So now I have a custom made tv stand that has no way to place a center channel speaker actually center with the TV. I have bookshelf speakers and nothing to set them on by the TV. Ill have to find time to make another stand..

Edited by AlphaPie, May 20 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#152 of 153 OFFLINE   Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted August 20 2014 - 06:43 AM

With the introduction of Dolby Atmos for home theater in 2014, my advice would be to not forget to wire for ceiling speakers.  Up to 10!

#153 of 153 OFFLINE   ellisr63

ellisr63

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts
  • LocationNorcal in my HT

Posted September 03 2014 - 07:54 PM

I didn't listen when told "Do not install equipment until the HT is completed". 2 months later we still have the HVAC to complete, hallway needs ceiling completed, a ton of acoustic panels need to be made for walls and ceiling, electrical switches and outlets need to be tidied up, stage needs carpet on the front edge, soffits need insulation in them, bottom panels for soffits need to be made, projector is still not mounted permanently, side surround columns have not been made, and trim around the rope LEDs needs to be finished.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users