Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Things I wish I would have done differently in my project

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 of 153 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,120 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted January 21 2004 - 07:17 PM

At the request of some of the members of this area of the forum as suggested by Bobby C I am going to start this thread and make it a sticky so that members can post things they would have done differently when building their HT.

Parker

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#2 of 153 OFFLINE   Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted April 05 2004 - 06:13 AM

I wish I could get my lazy but off the recliner and build the hushbox ive been planning for a couple of years now!Posted Image

All thats really missing is the front of the hushbox...man Im lazy.. :b

• ellisr63 likes this

#3 of 153 OFFLINE   Shaun Pressley

Shaun Pressley

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 02:27 PM

Installed a dedicated air/heating unit with it's own thermostat! I can freeze everyone out in the family room, while I sit comfortably in my theater.
  • ellisr63 likes this
Shaun Pressley

#4 of 153 OFFLINE   Wes

Wes

Screenwriter

• 1,190 posts
  • LocationUtah USA

Posted January 25 2005 - 06:16 PM

Alright here is my quickly thought out list!

1 Painted the walls in Flat paint to reduce refections from the screen. Bad idea, should have used a washable satin.

2 I have separate lights for my equipment and software area. All the time I go to walk out of the theater and find a light still on on the other side of the room, so I have to walk back over around the couches to turn them off. Had I installed 3way I could have put a gang box at the door.

3 installed a better IR repeater system. I still can do it but should have been ran in the wall.

4 Should have paid for a pro to do the mud and tape work.

5 Should have ran speaker wires for overhead channels. I ran 26 wires through out the room and none went over head where I now have a overhead Envelope channel!

Wish list:

More money to work with, did all the theater for under $10,000.
My Theater Web Site:
www.prosteering.8k.com

#5 of 153 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 03:46 AM

We spent so much time on the contruction of the room that by the time we go to what should have been the most important thing, we slacked off. This is the access to where the equipment is wired up. I had planned to do access panels but that never materialized, making access to my equipment rather difficult. Starting over again I'd work on this aspect first.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#6 of 153 OFFLINE   Robert Keeler

Robert Keeler

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 03:18 AM

Most of what I'm about to write here has been mentioned, but it'll affirm some of those items to bear not repeating.
Things I do differently
1) Wait to install PJ/Screen
1a) Installed PJ/screen first so no walls for 9 months
1b) reinstalled PJ/Screen after rock went up so no painting for 3 more months
2) Put in LARGE diameter conduit to PJ
I can barely get one coax and one svhs to PJ
3) Pay someone to tape/mud
4)Move ALL junk out of work area
putting up the walls would have been so much easier with all the junk removed.
5) put up the four walls Then put in stage
My stage is now part of the walls as it stretched from wall to wall prior to actually building the walls. For me, it's really no big deal, but if someone got tired of the stage and wanted it out, out comes part of the walls as well.

Good luck in your endeavours,

Robert

#7 of 153 OFFLINE   DonnyD

DonnyD

Screenwriter

• 1,154 posts

Posted March 23 2004 - 10:33 PM

As I begin my new HT dedicated room, this is one thread I'll certainly refer to.
Being in the remodeling business, I feel I have considered the important things but am aware it's the small things that become a problem later on. At least I have my oldest son to help with wiring ideas as he is a phone tech and his home is wired to the max for anything! He even has ethernet jacks in the wall at his couch for playing his x-box online.....and all this was wired 5 years ago!

One thing I do intend to do is "arch" or "dome" my ceiling and rim it with indirect lighting and do some wall treatments.......
"There comes a time in the lives of men, when taken at the tide, you're liable to ****ing drown..." R. Farina
"or go broke due to upgraditis..." D. Davis

#8 of 153 OFFLINE   David Tolsky

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts

Posted October 05 2004 - 05:52 PM

I would have obtained a DVI based DVD player BEFORE I closed up the pre-wire drywall. Also, I would have moved the light dimmer out of the hall and into the actual room so that the universal Harmony remote could actually send a signal to it. Both of these things are going to be corrected. :b

#9 of 153 OFFLINE   Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted February 20 2004 - 08:34 PM

3. Finished everything off before installing the projector. This slowed us down to a crawl finishing things.

Ain't it the truth. Testify, brother!

Cheers!

DS.

"Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"

-The former Gov. Ventura

See It...In StrotoVision!!

#10 of 153 OFFLINE   Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas

Second Unit

• 391 posts

Posted January 29 2004 - 01:40 PM

Just a quick comment about the wood floors for the sub... Based on a recommendation from Dennis Erskine, I built a stage in the front of my HT area & placed the sub on the stage. The idea, according to Dennis, is to have the sub move air...not the stage, floor, walls, etc. Thus, the stage is filled with sand & not attached to the walls.

With the same sub / speaker set up that was previously in a family room, I can honestly say that the bass output in my basement is now 10x greater!

#11 of 153 OFFLINE   Gary Sedlack

Gary Sedlack

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted December 11 2004 - 09:32 AM

I begin construction next week. After reading this thread I think I have most of my bases covered. Here is a list of what is going in. 6 dedicated 20 amp power lines for amps & AV, lots of couduit, pre wite for 7.1 ( already have the speakers), 1" wood sub floor over the slab, stand alone HVAC system, pre wire for a second sub. Not using any shakers so non issue. Interior dimentions of the room ar 13x23, 10' celeing double soffit for lights and a/c.

Gary
Have fun with music and HT

#12 of 153 OFFLINE   Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted November 18 2004 - 01:50 PM

Monster makes a small little surge protector you can plug into the wall, I think you can also get outlets with them built in...
Buy the best, Cry once

#13 of 153 OFFLINE   Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted November 18 2004 - 04:31 PM

Check these babies out.. Posted Image ( THe inwall units)

http://www.panamax.c....&sec=group_app
Buy the best, Cry once

#14 of 153 OFFLINE   Pete H

Pete H

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted January 22 2004 - 05:34 AM

Electricity, electricity, electricity - difficult to get done properly.

#15 of 153 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 03:48 AM

I wish I wouldn't have put in so many recessed lights. I leave about half of them unscrewed otherwise it looks like a friggin cafeteria in there!

#16 of 153 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted March 02 2004 - 03:55 AM

I actually do have them on dimmers. Not programmable ones, but dimmers nonetheless. So I can control their brightness.

I guess it's not so much the brightness that bothers me but the coverage. I prefer the more dramatic look of spread out recessed lights. So, I unscrew a few of them and it just feels like a more relaxing atmosphere down there.

It's weird how light placement can change the mood of a room.

#17 of 153 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted March 24 2004 - 02:38 AM

Quote:
How far did you space them apart....I would like to learn from your experience before installing mine.

Jason D, sorry it took me so long to respond... I don't check this thread too often.

Anyway... for recessed lighting, I've been told that you figure each light will project a circle of light with a diameter equal to the height of your ceiling. I have a pretty low ceiling (6'9"). I was thinking I wanted an even coverage of light, so, I spaced them about 4' in two rows going down the sides of my room. I chose this distance also because I have a drop-ceiling with 2X2 tiles.

But, now, I'm wishing I would've just placed them over points of interest in my room. ie: bar, coffee table, entranceway. Luckily I have the drop ceiling, so it's not a big job to change 'em around.

I would say, if you're planning on doing these in a more permanent drywalled ceiling... get them wired up before your drywall goes up (obviously) and take a really close look at the overall effect before you go ahead and seal them up.

#18 of 153 OFFLINE   Greg S

Greg S

Supporting Actor

• 991 posts

Posted February 11 2004 - 02:04 AM

There isn't much I wish I had done different but here goes.

1. Spent real money to put in a better heat pump system for the room (this is 24x24x10 family room and I just cannot get the place warm during winter, summertime is OK).

2. Added some additional audio cabling (not that there isn't a ton in there now) up front since I am possibly changing from an unpowered sub to a sub with a built in amp in the front of the room. With that I wish that I had run some cabling for the possibilty to a sub inthe back of the room.

3. HAD SOME FRIGGIN' HELP!! This was the worst part. I basically did the project on my own and dam near killed me.

4. Need more space for DVD storage. Hey I thought I had enough but the collection is over 400 DVDs and there just isn't anymore room Posted Image .

Things I did do right (most have been mentioned here)

1. Spent the money on the proper tools to do it right. If you can't do this than at least rent the tools you need to do it right --- THIS IS SO IMPORTANT!!

2. Ran TONS of cabling in the walls (including extra) even though I need more now -- ALWAYS RUN MORE THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED!!

3. Built a closet to house all the equipment!

4. Did 2 layers of drywall (that is some work!)

5. Did the work myself!! While this part does suck, I cannot tell you the incredible sense of pride I get everytime I go into that room and look around at what I managed to pull off. In addition I cannot tell you the smile you get when other people come over and marvel at your work Posted Image .

As my wife always says .... "The whole process was one of the hardest six months ever but in the end it was all worth it because of the look on our daughter's face for her 3rd birthday party (movie party) .... You did good hun!"

What more can I say!

Best of Luck to all!!

Greg

#19 of 153 OFFLINE   KenA

KenA

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts
  • LocationMassapequa, NY

Posted June 09 2004 - 07:33 AM

Quote:
More media storage, a dedicated zone for heating and cooling, a rear speaker wire and how in the world could I forget an Cat-5e cable from my router...dumb.
I just had central air installed and I was thinking about dedicating a zone for my future theater, but the cost and room needed for a second blower just didn't make sense. I thought it was just a matter of a separate damper/thermostat. Man, was I wrong!
»ken«
DVD List

#20 of 153 OFFLINE   Tom Rosback

Tom Rosback

Stunt Coordinator

• 119 posts

Posted February 22 2004 - 12:35 AM

I would have added more vents and returns for heat / AC in my 11' x 17' room. One 8" circular vent and a 12" x 12" return are not enough.
Tom Rosback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow