What's new

Ultimate Star Trek custom cover set... ALL SERIES! (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Looks like one more trip to the well for me. These will be designed to fit around the new 8 disc cases available at Genesys DTP

Larger Version

For more info and various versions please check out this thread at my site.

This project will probably take several months and hopefully will be my final statement on the franchise!

Ric

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator
GREAT Coverart! I know it's a prequel yet somehow I would have put "Enterprise" after Voyager.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Since these haven't gotten the DVD set treatment yet, I think we can cut Ric some slack... ;)

Though we've all heard the rumors that a release of The Animated Series is coming soon (even some possible release dates have been mentioned at various places), my recent communications with Paramount have not netted any official announcement or confirmation.

-Scott

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
:eek: Holy CRAP Ric! You've outdone yourself this time! :D Pity I didn't buy Voyager! ;)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
(picking up my jaw off the floor on this one...)

Must... fight... the urge.... Oh, what the hey...

GIMME!!!!!!! :D

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I like your judgement call on placing Enterprise first in the chronology. And I like the insignias on the bottom.

I'm not partial to the artwork though, too 1970s for my tastes. But everybody's a critic.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
Man, now I'm going to have to make choices. I really like that setup, and using the thin cases makes it even better :).

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the kind words, guys!

The nice thing about this is that you can stop and start it and it should still look complete. You can't skip series, but you could just have TOS, TNG and DS9 and the thing should still look complete.

Ric

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator
One word - Brilliant! Ric, I'm very much looking forward to printing these out and displaying on my shelf. Talk about a space saver. Awesome work!

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, Since these are for 8-disc cases you won't need any other cases to fit the bonus discs.

Wade K

Second Unit

...except for Season 1 of TOS (8 discs + BB Bonus DVD). I guess one could just keep it in the paper holder loose in the case.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Ric !!!!!! Argh ! Man no you've given me no choice. I would make this the final statemnet and in My opinion I'd Keep TAS seperate. I think it would just standout too much to have the animated characters mixed in. Keep the Live action together and keep the Animated by itself.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
The more I think about it, the more I tend to agree with you, Dave. Even Roddenberry said that TAS was not actual Star Trek canon (though many aspects of Yesteryear are considered to be). Maybe I'll make a place for it after Voyager...but with no cartoon head!

I've often thought how big an improvement TAS could be if they reanimated it Final Fantasy style and did real scores for the music. Also, it wouldn't hurt to get other actors to do the guest star voices.

Anyway, I printed up the spines of DS9 and the set needs some adjustment. Haven't worked with faces before and it's a little tough. Sisko's head looked so wide he was lookin' like Charlie Brown! Obviously my template for the 8 disc case wqas a little off! I think I got it now, but, I'm gonna need to move things around a little and possibly make some other tweaks.

I'm thinking of using the same framing aspect I used on the front covers for my original DS9 set...

But maybe make the frame a silverish color for all of them. Any objections?

Ric

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

On the contrary, I would suggest that it would be perfect to help space out the room between Kirk and Picard...they're a tad too close together. Just insert a case there and scoot everything to the left a bit, and it all works out.

On the other hand, with that rumored "March 15" release date getting closer, and no updates in sight, I am wondering if this whole thing didn't get the kibosh for some reason. On the other hand, if this is coming from Columbia House like David Gerrold says, then we may not know about it until launch date.

Maybe the best thing to do is to make the spine for that case the kind of "filler" thing that doesn't have to be there for the panoramic picture to work. Ric, is that do-able?

By the way, Ric, I don't want to get your hopes up or anything, but I have contact with a couple of (separate) freelance cover art designers who each have done (and continues to do) covers for a multitude of studios. I pointed each of them toward your stuff and said, "if you ever need an apprentice, send this guy an e-mail". It was a few weeks ago since I told them that, and you may never ever hear from them...but you never know. ;)

Failing that, since the studios seem to farm that stuff out, maybe you should try to track down how to break into that business yourself. You're very good, and the above just proves it!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I just hope these freelance guys don't point out ric's covers to Paramount i would hate to have hm slapped with a cease and desist order. I think we all learned from DVD Cover art.com where studios stand on this topic. Ric I'll send you my Email adress just in case

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
No, I guarantee you that these guys won't do that, or I wouldn't have even gone there.

Ric's in much more danger of Paramount seeing this thread here at HTF.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks