Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about....Blu-Ray

A Few Words About

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1147 replies to this topic

#1 of 1148 Brian

Brian

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted October 29 2004 - 09:09 AM

quote:

Christopher, you're missing the point of my bringing up Rousseau's argument. In the short term, the companies' self-interest hurts them but aids us. That's what Game Theory says.

What I get from that example is that it doesn't really matter which one wins. Either way, we're somebodies lunch.

-B

#2 of 1148 Brian

Brian

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted November 18 2004 - 09:06 AM

HP announced plans to include Blu-ray drives in its desktops by late 2005:

HP strikes Blu note for DVDs, talks of fat storage

-B

#3 of 1148 Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 11:42 AM

quote:

Obviously a lot of you were impressed with the show. Great. But it was a show - can you discern reality from the smoke and mirrors? Comparing DVD to Blu-Ray on a huge screen merely amplifies the differences - a smart salesman's trick....How would the comparion have been if they had put it on a 60" screen? Less impressive.

Doesn't matter if it was a 100 foot screen, or a 20" screen - bottom line is a helluva a lot more pixels in HD, and significantly more bandwidth. Sure, 20" TV makes HD a lot less noticeable - but it's still noticeable. Period.

Having everything from a 17" LCD to a 120" projection system, HD vs. SD is always noticeable.
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#4 of 1148 Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 11:43 AM

quote:

In another Blu-Ray thread, I was told that PC Blu-Ray drives have been promised.

Both Samsung and LG showed PC Blu-Ray drives at CES in 2004. I'm sure there will be a larger showing of Blu-Ray (including PC drives) in January CES 2005
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#5 of 1148 Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted November 30 2004 - 05:17 AM

Quote:
So what will happen with Blue Ray? Sony has been involved with good formats and been an innovator. But they always seem to drop the ball in convincing people that there product is the way to go. I would hope that Blue Ray will win out and be available soon

I don't think this is the case here. On the hardware side, Sony's never had a stronger backing of companies.

I think there are behind the scenes politics involved here with Hollywood. I'd be willing to bet the Hollywood community doesn't like a Japanese company who also owns a movie studio and competes with other studios controlling their home video formats.
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#6 of 1148 Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted December 01 2004 - 05:28 AM

Quote:
Of course, the HD masters are UNCOMPRESSED so they would still have to be processed with whatever codec before they could be placed onto a Blu-Ray disc

All HD masters are either on D5 tape or HDCAM, both with compression applied (generally 5:1)
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#7 of 1148 Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 05:59 AM

Quote:
Will a monitor that has a DVI input, but that does not implement HDCP DRM, display a HDCP-scrambled signal? I doubt it.

No, it will not (and I've tested it).

Quote:
Since Blu-Ray is going to be a Hi Definition format, why would they put NTSC shows on it?

Blu-Ray is not an HD format, it is a storage format. HD is just one of the uses for the format.
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#8 of 1148 Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 11:22 AM

Quote:
Ever seen the HD transfers of Hogan's Heros on HD Net? They look stunning (and I don't even like Hogan's Heros).

Then you run the risk of "it's not OAR" since most of the early shows while shot on film, are not natively 1:78 or higher. These shows are cropped so they fill the entire picture frame at the expense of some loss of picture.
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#9 of 1148 Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted January 11 2005 - 05:01 AM

Quote:
I mean, I have a great library (90+) of my favorite movies and TV shows. But with HD-DVD coming out in the near future, is my library and all other DVD's going to become like VHS (extinct, kind of)? We are finally getting all of our favorite movies put out on DVD, are we going to be starting all over again with HD-DVD?

The only thing that makes your collection extinct is you. It is only you that decides one day not to watch what you own.

As long as you have working equipment, that's all that matters so you can continue to enjoy watching your collection, be it VHS or DVD.
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#10 of 1148 CRyan

CRyan

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 10:09 AM

What about computer compatibility? Will I still be able to build an HTPC around this format?

Thanks,

C. Ryan

#11 of 1148 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 10 2004 - 04:32 PM

Thomson, one of the founding partners of Blue-Ray announces they will support HD-DVD, and say HD-DVD has a brighter potential future.

http://www.betanews.....DVD/1102709949
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#12 of 1148 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,531 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 12:27 AM

(1) That would be the old DivX after all. And didn't we fight it enough? images/smilies/furious.gif

(2) If "lossless" is indeed fully "lossless" (= unaltered), I don't care of course who provides me with it (DTS or Dolby, or anyone else). Just as long as it doesn't take too much space on the disc.

Cees

#13 of 1148 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,531 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 10:06 PM

Quote:
HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray better not require a landline connection.
They better not require any real time monitoring/registering of your viewing habits at all.
And if a "licence" is obtained: how about accumulative costs of children viewing a family DVD (which you allow them to do independently), and is it also needed for partial viewing (checking some scenes)?

We didn't oppose the DivX concept for nothing.

Cees

#14 of 1148 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,531 posts

Posted November 14 2004 - 07:23 PM

Quote:
...other products are on their way that deliver TRUE 1920x1080p pixel density without resorting to more tricks.
Ho, ho, ho!

It is a "true" resolution alright. If this was false, a CRT would be utterly so, because it uses only one spot (per colour) to draw the many pixels.
The fact that each mirror is responsible for two or more pixels (at different moments) doesn't make it "false". It's just, as David points out, that some people wonder if the circuitry (and bandwidth and accurate positioning of the mirrors and the colour wheel workings and lumens yield) are up to it.

But in principle it's a brilliant idea to have the tiny mirrors point at more than one place on the screen, because the movement is intrinsic to the way it works.

Cees

#15 of 1148 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,531 posts

Posted January 12 2005 - 08:29 AM

Well put David. And then you didn't even mention the colour-depth yet....

Cees

#16 of 1148 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted October 12 2004 - 03:36 AM

HD-DVD *players* will all be backwards-compatible with SD-DVD software.

But HD-DVD discs won't be backwards-compatible with SD-DVD players...necessarily...

so what he's talking about is a proposal to include a red-laser layer on the HD-DVD disc that would be read and played back like a "normal" DVD if you stuck your HD-DVD disc into a regular red-laser DVD player.

Sort of like SACDs that have a red-book CD layer that can be played in your 10 year old CD player in addition to the super-audio-CD layer that can only be read by an SACD player.
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#17 of 1148 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted October 05 2004 - 02:38 AM

quote:

What the hell can HD-DVD offer that Blu-ray isnt? That question was asked and there was no suitable response. Bluray has all the bulletpoints locked down with better tech than HDDVD on EVERY point that I can see as a consumer. Either they have something big planned or they should just give up now, cause as a consumer, I am JAZZED about Blu-ray.

HD-DVD has a provision for high-resolution 24/192 multi-channel audio, similar to DVD-A.

I'd like to say goodbye to the DD/DTS debate once and for all and enjoy audio again that sounds at *least* as good as the PCM on my old laserdiscs...and hopefully better. Not sure if BluRay will do that, though HD-DVD would.

Hopefully Sony will work to improve audio quality on BluRay above and beyond what we have on conventional DVD right now.

-dave images/smilies/smile.gif

#18 of 1148 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted October 05 2004 - 04:33 AM

Good to hear. My how these things evolve...just a week or two not surfing AVS and look. images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Too bad sony won't go for MLP...LPCM takes up a lot of space and that bandwidth could be cut in half with lossless data-packing.

#19 of 1148 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted October 05 2004 - 05:03 AM

Lossless DTS works for me. As long as I can get lossless 24/96 multi-channel sound I'm fine images/smilies/biggrin.gif images/smilies/biggrin.gif images/smilies/biggrin.gif

#20 of 1148 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted October 05 2004 - 07:22 AM

Our only hope will be if manufactures outside the core group of Sony, Toshiba, etc. provide us with universal players that simply play both discs.

Oh well. We'll see what happens. Two formats for an esoteric commodity like HD software...not going to be a pretty battle to try to win (as with SACD and DVD-A...hard enough to get folks interested in "high resolution" when they're already happy with the status quo...and dividing interest across two platforms makes it even more muddled).

-dave

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow