What's new

"Smile! Candid Camera DVDs are here!" reports the Funt family (1 Viewer)

Bill Funt

Auditioning
Hello Folks,
This is Bill Funt here, Allen's son, Peter's brother and co-producer of the first ever Candid Camera DVD collection.
I'm pleased to report that this collection is now for sale.If you haven't already seen and ordered it from our TV ads you can log onto our website, candidcamera.com and order it there.

These ten discs,available as a set or as individual volumes are the most comprhensive collection of Candid Camera classics to date and highlight each era of our long-running series. From the original series with my father Allen Funt to the current series with my brother Peter Funt, all your favorite stunts are here.

First off, we have "Candid Camera's Greatest Moments" a compilation of best loved gags such as The Talking Mailbox, The Car Without A Motor, and Woody Allen's Love Letter.In addition we have several volumes of complete episodes from the 60's, the 70's, the 80's, the 90's, and today.And as a special bonus we have included the very first episode of Candid Camera from 1949! They're all here. Digitally remastered with many sequences never before available on video and not seen since their original broadcasts.

We couldn't be happier to bring this collection to you so, once again, come visit us at candidcamera.com and order yours.

And of course, don't be surprised if sometime, somehow, somewhere when you least expect it, someone steps up to you and says.......smile,you're on candid camera.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
What an honor to see a post by one of the sons of Allen Funt! :)

As much as I enjoyed occasionally watching Candid Camera (particularly the first-run syndicated episodes co-hosted by Allen and Phyllis George in my 70s childhood), I didn't like the fashions from that period, but people are people -- particularly when they are caught in the act of being themselves. The "film" set design in the studio looked great on videotape before Allen and Phyllis introduced the filmed bits and pranks.

I wouldn't buy these on DVD. But if only my local library had them to rent (they have a lot of TV stuff, including some recent releases) I would definitely check them out!

Candid Camera was certainly the first TV "reality show" back in 1949, although from what I've read about it the first video version was just a segment on another series. Before that Allen Funt had also created and hosted "Candid MIcrophone" on radio around 1946. A few years after the 1960s ABC weekly TV revival (with Funt and Durwood Kirby) ended, in 1970 Funt released the only R-rated feature film version of Candid Camera that featured some nudity and more adult humor "What Do You Say to a Naked Lady?" This film has aired on HBO over the years. So has the PG rated "Money Talks" from 2 years later.

The 1980s and 90s TV revivals with Peter Funt and Suzanne Somers are avoidable. It's just not the same without Allen.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Unfortunately, it is also against forum policy (to advertise one's own DVDs they are selling.

Buy an ad here if you want us to know.

Bill Funt

Auditioning
It would seem that you are correct. I have contacted the webmaster and inquired further. Certainly don't want to break any rules.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Any word on any of the CANDID CAMERA movies? WHAT DO YOU SAY TO A NAKED LADY is very funny and the money related one (forgot the title).

Bill Funt

Auditioning
The Candid Camera movies are owned by UA so we certainly won't be putting them out. But thank you for asking(the second one was called "Money Talks" btw).

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Bill,

Excellent! As a person who grew up with this series and a lot of the location shots were done in my hometown (Yonkers, NY) with people and locations that I know this was a must purchase for me (I just ordered a complete set for myself). I hope that you can work something out with Parker (one of the HTF owners here) so that your discs get wide-spread publicity without violating any forum rules.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hi, Bill! Drop us a line at TVShowsOnDVD.com and we'll put together a news post for you. Our last news story told of 3 releases that Rhino was putting together for you guys, and now it looks like it's spread to 10! Whoa. Sounds like it's time for an update, and we're happy to let our readers know this is available, and in the process help you promote your stuff...no charge. :)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
To Bill Funt....

Thanks for letting us know about this and I wish you best of luck with it.

It is a testament to the popularity and influence of your Father's show that even people who have never seen the original series know the catchphrase "Smile, You're on Candid Camera"!

Steve

Roman-K

Stunt Coordinator
I only collect season sets, not best off's. Is this format possible? I loved the show, and would love to see my kids watch, but I'll only accept a season set format to spend my $$$$ on. Best wishes...Roman

MattHR

Screenwriter

While I prefer season sets for almost all shows, "Candid Camera" is a great example of a show where "best of" compilations are the only way to go.

The show has been (recurring) on TV for over 50 years in various incarnations. Even if they were to release season sets, they'd probably only release the best seasons.

Since "CC" (and its many imitators) don't follow a scripted format with continuity from episode-to-episode, "best of" sets would seem acceptable. Besides, I can't imagine anyone would have the time, space or $ to collect every season set if they were actually released. There must have been over 500 episodes broadcast.

Roman-K

Stunt Coordinator

It would be a challenge, but that is the way I like to collect. Even in a show like Candid Camera there is some continuity as to how the show progressed. I say bring it on, and throw in some candid candid clips as bonuses.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Looks like an interesting set worth getting! About the only thing I would have a minor quibble about is that there's only one episode from the last CBS season when Bess Myerson co-hosted with Alan. I would have liked to have seen maybe two or three of those.

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,
Do the commercials for these dvds air at a particular time, such as the Guthy-Renker infomercials?

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered it--and "best of" doesn't do it justice. Lots of complete episodes, 2 different anniversary specials, representation of every different era of the series (including the 70s show I remember as a kid, with that saucy Joann Pflug!)

THIS is how long-running series should be released!

Doc

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I forgot Joanne Pflug was on of Allen Funt's co-hosts in the 70s! She was indeed a beautiful woman back then, but I liked Joanne best from her numerous appearances as a panelist on both Match Game and Match Game PM. Since Game Show Network isn't part of basic cable (costs extra), they should put those out on DVD -- that was the funniest game show ever produced! And if there is one game show that would sell on home video, Match Game is the one!

Bill Funt

Auditioning
I'm surprised this thread is still here but since it is let me chime in and say how great it is to get everyone's compliments, feedback and questions and to hear that people are interested in what we're doing. Hearing the different remarks reminds of all the "Sophie's Choice decisions that my brother, Rhino, and I made about how to present these discs(what goes in, what stays out, complete shows, clip shows, how much from each period). There was alot to consider and we did plenty of back and forth(and I sometimes still do). But while we know everyone will have their opinions we feel that this set will satisfy people(and hey, we'll put out more if enough of you want us to).
The only thing I feel compelled to address is the notion of season sets since it's the least likely outcome.
If we were to put out season sets of all our material that would consist of over five hundred and fifty shows(and that's not even counting 50's episodes that we don't have).
As such it probably is not economically viable.
But moreover, as one of you pointed out, since Candid Camera does not involve a continuous, scripted storyline we feel that it comes across best as a "best of" series. We weren't even going to put out complete shows until we realized that enough people wanted that and that more of them played well from start to finish then we had anticipated. There has been some discussion of putting out very limited edition season sets but this is far from a sure thing.
Thanks again everyone for your interest.

P.S. Jason and Jeff, I've been in love with Joann Pflug ever since my dad introduced me to her as a kid and she gave me a Batman comic!

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator
We weren't even going to put out complete shows until we realized that enough people wanted that and that more of them played well from start to finish then we had anticipated.

I have always felt that most people desire not just the funny moments from a series like "Candid Camera" (or "Laugh-In" or "SNL") but indeed the full viewing experience. There's something about the theme song, act breaks, even things like sponsor billboards...they take you back to where you were when you saw the show originally, moreso than the clips.

I think the SNL people would be surprised by the success of a full-episode release series--maybe the best 5 episodes from each season presented full-length on 5 or 6 discs. I know the price would be high to license the sketch music and guest performers, but "SCTV"'s suggested retail price per set has been $90 and they seem to be doing ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks