What's new

Disneyland 50th Anniversary thread. (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Anyone going?

I will be there on July 17th; 50 years to the day. :D

For those of you HTFers who dont know, July 17th 1955 was the grand opening of the park; when Walt gave his "Disneyland is your land" speech.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Us too. We've gone twice during "winter wonderland" (post halloween) and loved it. It's time again since we haven't gone since 2002 as I recall.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I like the park, but the lines kill me. Am I the only one who gets fed up to the point of not going anymore?

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Long lines can be very frustrating but if you time your trip correctly they can be avoided.

I have been living in So Cal for about 12 years during which time I have probably averaged 2 Disneyland trips per year. If you stay away from weekends, holidays, and other obvious high traffic times (spring break, etc) the wait times are usually relatively short. Splash Mountain always seems to back up a bit, but you can use their "Fast Pass" for such rides to cut the wait. I have heard that Father's Day is a good day to go as well but I haven't been able to test this myself.

Of course, being a Southern California resident it is probably easier for me to avoid the crowded days. My favorite time to go is a weekday in early fall, just after school has started. The weather is usually great and the crowds are pretty light.

-Keith

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
They built too much fun stuff down there. They ought to spread the joy around the rest of the country.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Scott --

Gotta disagree with you. I went during Easter a few years back, it was a ghost town. I went after New Years a few years ago, it was pretty slow. The easiest way to avoid lines is to go in the morning -- People are pretty lazy nowadays, I find that going to the park before 10-11am, I get on as many rides as I get on during the rest of the day. Also, I know a lot people don't like the Fastpass system, but I think that helps on the "must rides".

Doug

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
In the past year we've gone every 2-3 months. Learning a lot about when is the best time to go. Still don't know everything yet. I would like to go for the anniversary but am afraid it'll be too crowded. How long will this celebration last? Through the whole year or only during days or that month?

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
I assume this is also taking place at WDW. We are going there this Oct. Last time we went (5 years ago) in Oct and there was not many people there.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I would love to make it, and hopefully work will cooperate.

Right now, you couldn't get me there for anything. Too many rides under rehab (or totally rebuilt, such as Space Mountain).

But, when it's all done, and if they get Space Mountain open in time, it should be pretty cool. Matt Ouimat has done a great job repairing the park from his predecessors lack of maintenance. It really looks good (in pictures).

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
The family and I were there this last Saturday night. Went for dinner and a few rides. It was not crowded and the longest line was 20 minutes.

Being the Disneyland die-hard I will be there in the 17th. Heck, I'm on year 12 with an annual pass. Probably have one until the day I die, love the place too much, it's like home away from home.

My favorite times to go are during the week, during the winter/spring and rainy days (those are the best). I do avoid summer for the most part and holiday weekends. But then, being an annual pass holder lines and crowds don't bother me too much.

Anyone else here have annual passes?

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Ron,
My ex-roomie and a buddy of mine (who I am going with in July) both have annuals. They'll go down a few times a year.

You posted that youll be there on the 17th? We should hook up for a beer in Downtown Disney.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor

Anybody know when this will be done? I'd hate to go down there this year and find out my fav ride is still under renovation.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Sounds like a plan Matt. Are you planning to be there the entire day? If so, maybe break for lunch and some brews?

As for Space Mountain, rumor in the park is September. Now, that is only rumor and I've heard a plenty that never come to fruition so, grain of salt on this one.

I'll be going over there again this Saturday so I'll stop by quest relations on Main St and enquire to see if something is set in stone for it's reopening. I'll let ya know.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll see if my buddy can get a Club 33 reservation for lunch that day. It's pricey so I'd need a solid head count. I'll give him a call to see if he can or not first.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

Oh HELL yeah! Ill pray to the Disney gods for that one!

Ill PM you my number and email. It is a plan. LMK if he can do it.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Mark, I replied to your PM.

I got the ball rolling for Club 33, left a message with my buddy last night. If we can get into the Club your park admission is covered for the day so that is a bit of savings.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
With the Anniversary (July 17) falling on a Sunday this year, it is going to be PACKED that day!

Rob

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

That, is for certain. But sometimes a packed park is fun.

I went not too long ago to a New Years evening. You couldn't move without bumping into someone, but, it was a blast.

Having an annual pass brings a whole new light to the park. Crowds mean nothing as do lines for rides. I've gone many times just to hang out and do nothing. Drink coffee, smoke a cigar and sit. I now have plans to be there this Friday night and Saturday.

The 50th celebration begins May 5th. The entire park will be closed on May 4th, first time in history that the entire park will be closed for set-up, if I recall correctly.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Damn, I gotta lay off the chips and salsa. Sorry Matt, not sure where I was, I have no excuse :b

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks