Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Disneyland 50th Anniversary thread.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 05:22 AM

Anyone going?

I will be there on July 17th; 50 years to the day. Posted Image

For those of you HTFers who dont know, July 17th 1955 was the grand opening of the park; when Walt gave his "Disneyland is your land" speech.
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#2 of 38 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 05:35 AM

We're going, but probably not until they bring out the Winter decorations.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#3 of 38 OFFLINE   Bob-N

Bob-N

Supporting Actor

• 915 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 09:50 AM

Us too. We've gone twice during "winter wonderland" (post halloween) and loved it. It's time again since we haven't gone since 2002 as I recall.

#4 of 38 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 01:26 PM

I like the park, but the lines kill me. Am I the only one who gets fed up to the point of not going anymore?

#5 of 38 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted February 04 2005 - 05:31 PM

Long lines can be very frustrating but if you time your trip correctly they can be avoided.

I have been living in So Cal for about 12 years during which time I have probably averaged 2 Disneyland trips per year. If you stay away from weekends, holidays, and other obvious high traffic times (spring break, etc) the wait times are usually relatively short. Splash Mountain always seems to back up a bit, but you can use their "Fast Pass" for such rides to cut the wait. I have heard that Father's Day is a good day to go as well but I haven't been able to test this myself.

Of course, being a Southern California resident it is probably easier for me to avoid the crowded days. My favorite time to go is a weekday in early fall, just after school has started. The weather is usually great and the crowds are pretty light.

-Keith
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#6 of 38 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,039 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 06:41 PM

They built too much fun stuff down there. They ought to spread the joy around the rest of the country.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#7 of 38 OFFLINE   Doug Miller

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted February 07 2005 - 07:51 AM

Scott --

Gotta disagree with you. I went during Easter a few years back, it was a ghost town. I went after New Years a few years ago, it was pretty slow. The easiest way to avoid lines is to go in the morning -- People are pretty lazy nowadays, I find that going to the park before 10-11am, I get on as many rides as I get on during the rest of the day. Also, I know a lot people don't like the Fastpass system, but I think that helps on the "must rides".

Doug

#8 of 38 OFFLINE   DustinLC

DustinLC

Supporting Actor

• 543 posts

Posted February 07 2005 - 09:16 AM

In the past year we've gone every 2-3 months. Learning a lot about when is the best time to go. Still don't know everything yet. I would like to go for the anniversary but am afraid it'll be too crowded. How long will this celebration last? Through the whole year or only during days or that month?

#9 of 38 OFFLINE   Dennis*G

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor

• 524 posts

Posted February 08 2005 - 01:34 AM

I assume this is also taking place at WDW. We are going there this Oct. Last time we went (5 years ago) in Oct and there was not many people there.

#10 of 38 OFFLINE   Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted February 08 2005 - 02:43 AM

I would love to make it, and hopefully work will cooperate.

Right now, you couldn't get me there for anything. Too many rides under rehab (or totally rebuilt, such as Space Mountain).

But, when it's all done, and if they get Space Mountain open in time, it should be pretty cool. Matt Ouimat has done a great job repairing the park from his predecessors lack of maintenance. It really looks good (in pictures).
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#11 of 38 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted February 08 2005 - 03:27 AM

The family and I were there this last Saturday night. Went for dinner and a few rides. It was not crowded and the longest line was 20 minutes.

Being the Disneyland die-hard I will be there in the 17th. Heck, I'm on year 12 with an annual pass. Probably have one until the day I die, love the place too much, it's like home away from home.

My favorite times to go are during the week, during the winter/spring and rainy days (those are the best). I do avoid summer for the most part and holiday weekends. But then, being an annual pass holder lines and crowds don't bother me too much.

Anyone else here have annual passes?
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#12 of 38 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted February 08 2005 - 04:05 AM

Ron,
My ex-roomie and a buddy of mine (who I am going with in July) both have annuals. They'll go down a few times a year.

You posted that youll be there on the 17th? We should hook up for a beer in Downtown Disney.
My Blu Rays

1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#13 of 38 OFFLINE   Bob-N

Bob-N

Supporting Actor

• 915 posts

Posted February 08 2005 - 07:42 AM

But, when it's all done, and if they get Space Mountain open in time, it should be pretty cool.

Anybody know when this will be done? I'd hate to go down there this year and find out my fav ride is still under renovation.

#14 of 38 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted February 08 2005 - 08:53 AM

Quote:
You posted that youll be there on the 17th? We should hook up for a beer in Downtown Disney.

Sounds like a plan Matt. Are you planning to be there the entire day? If so, maybe break for lunch and some brews?

As for Space Mountain, rumor in the park is September. Now, that is only rumor and I've heard a plenty that never come to fruition so, grain of salt on this one.

I'll be going over there again this Saturday so I'll stop by quest relations on Main St and enquire to see if something is set in stone for it's reopening. I'll let ya know.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll see if my buddy can get a Club 33 reservation for lunch that day. It's pricey so I'd need a solid head count. I'll give him a call to see if he can or not first.

#15 of 38 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted February 08 2005 - 10:31 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a plan Matt. Are you planning to be there the entire day? If so, maybe break for lunch and some brews?

Yes. The plan is to arrive in LA the 15th and be in the park the 16/17th or 17/18th. We are heading to Vegas afterwards.

Quote:
Maybe, just maybe, I'll see if my buddy can get a Club 33 reservation for lunch that day. It's pricey so I'd need a solid head count. I'll give him a call to see if he can or not first.

Oh HELL yeah! Ill pray to the Disney gods for that one!

Ill PM you my number and email. It is a plan. LMK if he can do it.
My Blu Rays

#16 of 38 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 01:54 AM

Mark, I replied to your PM.

I got the ball rolling for Club 33, left a message with my buddy last night. If we can get into the Club your park admission is covered for the day so that is a bit of savings.

#17 of 38 OFFLINE   Rob Willey

Rob Willey

Screenwriter

• 1,179 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 07:59 AM

With the Anniversary (July 17) falling on a Sunday this year, it is going to be PACKED that day!

Rob
"That suits me down to the ground."

#18 of 38 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 08:25 AM

Quote:
With the Anniversary (July 17) falling on a Sunday this year, it is going to be PACKED that day!

That, is for certain. But sometimes a packed park is fun.

I went not too long ago to a New Years evening. You couldn't move without bumping into someone, but, it was a blast.

Having an annual pass brings a whole new light to the park. Crowds mean nothing as do lines for rides. I've gone many times just to hang out and do nothing. Drink coffee, smoke a cigar and sit. I now have plans to be there this Friday night and Saturday.

The 50th celebration begins May 5th. The entire park will be closed on May 4th, first time in history that the entire park will be closed for set-up, if I recall correctly.

#19 of 38 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 08:31 AM

Quote:
Mark, I replied to your PM.

Thanks Rob, Posted Image
I got it. And thanks again.
My Blu Rays

#20 of 38 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 09:09 AM

Damn, I gotta lay off the chips and salsa. Sorry Matt, not sure where I was, I have no excuse :b

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow