Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"vintage" CD players?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   DavidCooper

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 05:10 AM

Not sure if this is the right place to post this one!

Do any of you have opinions on "vintage" cd players? When I say vintage I mean something made in the mid to late 80's or possibly early 90's.

My grandparents have a stero system that they bought in 84 or 85. It's a Sansui and at the time it was pretty much top of the line. It has all seperates....turtabe, tape deck, equilizer, amp/receiver, and cd player. Not to mention some very hefty speakers. Anyway, she doesn't need most of it anymore and it's rarely used. I took the CD player home last night and hooked it up in my small 2-channel system in my home office. It sounds pretty darn good for being so old! It's solid as a rock and heavy! And, made in Japan! It will even play CD-R's......of course it doesn't have digital out but I'm using a vintage Marantz anyway so that's not a concern.

So....do any of you have or use vintage CD players????

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 05:41 AM

I have a Sony 5 disc carousel player I bought back in 1989 or 1990. I still use it and it works great. I lost the remote a couple of years back but it operates manually just fine.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 07:53 AM

I thought CD players were supposed to have improved with each generation, what with "over sampling" "1 bit MASH", "18 bit resolution", and a half dozen other marketing slogans...

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 08:57 AM

There was a thread at Steve Hoffman's on this subject. Most of the replies said it was all rubbish, a few said that there were some good players to be had at thrift stores.

Just to do my part, I pulled my Sony CDP-30 (Build Date July 1985) out of mothballs and hooked it up to my systems.

I have not been able to get the levels matched to allow a proper A/B with my other disc players, but I will say that if I did not know that it was playing, I would not have thought I was hearing a 20 year old machine. And the build quality slays most any similarly priced contemoary machine....just pressing the Open/Close button to feel how solid the disc tray is built is a kick.

I burned a copy of the remaster of Dire Straits "Love Over Gold" for my testing, but even with the levels off a bit, I am not hearing anything from the vintage player that would cause me to toss it.

No, at times I do not have a lifePosted Image

BGL

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,720 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted February 04 2005 - 09:32 AM

My first was a Magnavox from 1989. Pretty basic player that I paid $136 for. I remember they had one for $118, but I never liked buying the cheapest thing on the shelf so I opted for the next one up. Still have it, somewhere(?). I'm sure it still works. Also sure it weighs a ton compared to the $39 ones at the discount stores. We used to call them "dime stores" back then.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted February 05 2005 - 12:55 AM

my sony d5 portable still works fine. 300 bux in '84. thousands of miles in my car. many hours hooked up to 2 stereo rigs in the house.

ag.
Enjoy the Toys!