Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Subwoofer setup question

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Sidney

Sidney

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted February 03 2005 - 09:04 PM

Okay.. this is a stupid question, but one I've been wondering for a while.. I have a Velodyne VA-1215X for a very long time. My Velodyne has 2 RCA inputs for Line In.. I have one output for the Subwoofer from my Denon 3805 receiver. Do I run a single RCA cable from my receiver to a RCA splitter into the 2 RCA ports of the Subwoofer? Or do I just hook up one, or run dual RCA cable to the sub (splitter would be at the output of the Receiver). Or does it matter? Thanks for the answer.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted February 03 2005 - 11:52 PM

Just plug it in to one of the jacks. The splitter would help IF your sub is an auto-on (meaning it turns on automatically when it receives a signal) and it's not getting enough of a signal to turn it on when it needs it.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 12:29 AM

Are the two inputs for left and right? Some subs have an input that bypasses the sub's crossover and another that uses the crossover.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 02:46 AM

I like the splitter method myself and run it this way, and set all others I help out that way as well.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Sidney

Sidney

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 04:48 AM

The subwoofer is a auto turn on, and yes the input are left and right. I believe they did it that way so you run the preamp to the sub, and the sub to the amplifier powering the satellites/front speakers. I don't want to run it that way since I don't know how much the sub would degrade the signal to my Martin Logans (Not to mention the length of extra wire I would have to use) even though they say that there's no worries since it has a very high impedance. I'll probably run a splitter like I have in the past. Just always wondered about this, and Velodyne's manual never really covered the single sub output cable from a receiver/preamp.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 08:31 AM

A splitter is not necassary, and it adds 2 more connection points. Now it is rare to have a problem with one but there is still the possibility. Like Seth said, unless you are having a problem with the sub not getting enough signal to turn it on, don't waste your money.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." Frank Zappa

Dealer listing for Toronto & Area

My Shiva

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Sidney

Sidney

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 08:40 AM

I was thinking that connecting to 1 of the inputs would be fine, but which one? Isn't left typically designated mono? I suppose I can experiment but haven't fully set up my sytem yet.. still in the building stages.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 01:28 PM

They are the same. Take Lee's advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users