Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Any shot at Wild Kingdom?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 of 49 OFFLINE   Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted February 06 2005 - 10:33 PM

Jeffrey, it was hosted by Al Wallace, a great guy. Unfortunately, he passed away from kidney disease sometime back in the early 1980s. Posted Image
The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#22 of 49 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted February 06 2005 - 11:22 PM

[quote]

A wise man named Matt Hankinson said in the Candid Camera thread that "While I prefer season sets for almost all shows, 'Candid Camera' is a great example of a show where "best of" compilations are the only way to go." I would say that Wild Kingdom also qualifies, wouldn't you?

[quote]

Agreed. But I hope I'm not so "wise" on my prediction as to the quality of these releases.

P.S: Dave, likewise for the "wisdom" compliment. Posted Image

#23 of 49 OFFLINE   Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted February 07 2005 - 06:36 AM

[quote]

A wise man named Matt Hankinson said in the Candid Camera thread that "While I prefer season sets for almost all shows, 'Candid Camera' is a great example of a show where "best of" compilations are the only way to go." I would say that Wild Kingdom also qualifies, wouldn't you?

[quote]

Absolutely! That's why my post was intended as a "hip hip hooray" cheer! My comment which you quoted was meant to help head-off the inevitable backlash from the "best-of"-haters who will only accept season sets. Posted Image

#24 of 49 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,066 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted February 10 2005 - 07:50 PM

[quote]

Jeffrey, it was hosted by Al Wallace, a great guy. Unfortunately, he passed away from kidney disease sometime back in the early 1980s.

[quote]

Lynda-Marie, thank you! And that is sad about his passing. I really wish I could get episodes of HOW COME? on DVD.

#25 of 49 OFFLINE   ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor

• 575 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 06:00 AM

Anyone remember the episode where Marlin was almost killed by a giant boa constrictor? I remember that episode as kid. It was a great show that I watched almost every Sunday.

#26 of 49 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,450 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 09 2005 - 06:23 AM

My wife just asked me about the chances of Wild Kingdom making it to DVD the other day.

Same story. She has great memories of Sunday night TV with the family.

[quote]

I'd love to see these again, but it would HAVE to have all those commercial bits with ole Marlin hawking Mutual of Omaha. It just wouldn't be the same without them.

[quote]

Agreed. Who doesn't remember some of those segues? Marlon: "Just like Jim was risking his life dealing with (fill in your favorite dangerous animal here), you need to protect yourself from life's daily risks...." Classic. A favorite Johnny Carson spoof, too.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#27 of 49 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted March 09 2005 - 10:12 AM

That was Jim who almost got it, not Marlin. He was in a foot of water and the Anaconda had the squeeze on him. Jim talked about that for YEARS afterwords.

#28 of 49 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,317 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 08:03 PM

Yeah I doubt these will be remastered but hey for $10 bucks a pop it'll be great to relive my younger days. And the wife likes wild Life shows I just hope they don't edit in any new openings or anything Guess I'll wait for the reviews. Was'nt watching T a bit more special back in the day. Soon with all these older shows on DVD you'll be able to program some classic television nights.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#29 of 49 OFFLINE   Christopher D

Christopher D

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 04:57 PM

Hey, just picked these up at a retailer for $10.99 apiece. Took a quick look at them and the quality is generally quite good. There are a decent number of scratches or flecks, but I don't think anyone expected these to be digitally cleaned up. Given the age of the source material, I think the sets will please everyone. I only skipped through three episodes, but the nostalgia factor is off the charts -- I felt like I was back in my living room in 3rd grade.

#30 of 49 OFFLINE   SteveVM

SteveVM

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 02:10 PM

Just an FYI Wal-Mart is selling these as a single DVD release. 20 Epioseds both the cats and gorillas. And it was only $14.44 Little better than $10.97 each

#31 of 49 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted March 23 2005 - 05:56 PM

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3609574
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#32 of 49 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,707 posts

Posted April 11 2005 - 08:00 AM

So, for those who've bought the WILD KINGDOM set(s), do the episodes include Marlon Perkins' pitches for Mutual of Omaha, and the Mutual of Omaha jingle? The fact that the DVD packaging presents the show as "Mutual of Omaha's WILD KINGDOM", rather than just "WILD KINGDOM", gives me some hope. As has been said, watching this particular series just wouldn't be the same without the frequent shilling for the show's sponsor. Also, though all episodes in these sets would now qualify as "old", is there any indication as to when the bulk of them were made? Are they mostly from the late 1960s-mid 1970s, or are they primarily more recent episodes, from the 1980s? I'd be most interested in seeing the late 1960s-early 1970s episodes. Strange that none of the usual DVD sites have posted a review yet, though their plates are usually pretty full, I guess.

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Check out my Film & TV Blog (established 5/5/15): Smoking Holes That Were Once My Eyes...

#33 of 49 OFFLINE   Bert Greene

Bert Greene

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted April 11 2005 - 12:15 PM

No actual commercials, but the references to Mutual of Omaha are still there in the title and such. So far, I've only picked up the "Africa" volume, and it has maybe two or three late-60s episodes, from what I could tell. Only had time to view a couple to date. Nice prints, and high nostalgia value!

#34 of 49 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 685 posts

Posted July 02 2011 - 05:23 AM

I am bumping this thread rather than starting a new one. I am counting 80 episodes that have been released on DVD from the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom series that began in 1963. It has been years since anything happened with this show, does anyone know if there are any more plans for this series on DVD, or is it pretty much done deal? Does anyone know of a complete episode guide online for the original series? Thanks.

#35 of 49 OFFLINE   slats7

slats7

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted July 02 2011 - 11:12 AM

Used to watch it every Sunday night right before The Six Million Dollar Man. In the words of Archie and Edith, those were the days.

#36 of 49 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,482 posts

Posted July 02 2011 - 05:59 PM

Used to watch it every Sunday night right before The Six Million Dollar Man. In the words of Archie and Edith, those were the days.

I remember watching the show as well.

Here is a youtube link. RIP Marlin Perkins. I think he died in 1986 or just after the show went of the air.

#37 of 49 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 685 posts

Posted July 03 2011 - 07:20 AM

I am trying to figure out how much of the show is now out on DVD and how much remains unreleased. I have been unable to find a complete episode guide online. I know it ran for several years, having watched it back in the 60's, so I would think 80 episodes would not even be close to half of the total number. I don't remember ever seeing this run in prime time like a regular series, so I don't know if they produced, what was then, the normal number of episodes or not.

#38 of 49 OFFLINE   Bonnie*F

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted July 04 2011 - 08:07 AM

ChrisALM Back in 2005-2006 when these were originally being released, I had figured out there should be a minimum of 312 episodes (minimum of 12 episodes a year for 26 years). If they continued to release them at 10 episodes on each set without duplication, then there should be at least 32 sets. And that doesn't include the new Animal Planet stuff. As for how I got my figures: Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom on imdb.com is supposed to run from 1963-1988 which I figure as 26 seasons although youtube.com has an episode (or more) for 25 seasons. (FYI, youtube lists 99 episodes for viewing - I've not viewed them so they could be incomplete) On tv.com, they have the first season (only) which has 12 episodes which I believe to be a minimum. Some - if not most - likely had more episodes and I doubt there was less but it could be possible.

#39 of 49 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 685 posts

Posted July 04 2011 - 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie*F /forum/thread/204537/any-shot-at-wild-kingdom/30#post_3828902 ChrisALM Back in 2005-2006 when these were originally being released, I had figured out there should be a minimum of 312 episodes (minimum of 12 episodes a year for 26 years). If they continued to release them at 10 episodes on each set without duplication, then there should be at least 32 sets. And that doesn't include the new Animal Planet stuff. As for how I got my figures: Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom on imdb.com is supposed to run from 1963-1988 which I figure as 26 seasons although youtube.com has an episode (or more) for 25 seasons. (FYI, youtube lists 99 episodes for viewing - I've not viewed them so they could be incomplete) On tv.com, they have the first season (only) which has 12 episodes which I believe to be a minimum. Some - if not most - likely had more episodes and I doubt there was less but it could be possible.
That's the thing, there is no complete episode guide for the original series. Even on the Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom website, I could not find a listing for the episodes from the original series. The show ran a long time, so there should be a large number of episodes. If I had my wish, I would at least like to have all the episodes from the 1960's.

#40 of 49 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,452 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted January 12 2013 - 02:08 PM

There are various DVD's over at Amazon of the series for a little over $3!!! :D

CBS = Constantly Being Stalled

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users