What's new

Need remote advice (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
So I got my new Samsung 42" RPTV along with a new Motorola HD DVR box from Cox. I was hoping my trusty One For All remote would work for both but I'm afraid to say it doesn't work properly for the TV (the arrow keys function as channel up down and volume keys which makes the menus of the TV unusable) and the Cox DVR remote has SO many buttons I don't think I'd ever be able to make due with the 4 learning keys on my remote. So, I'm looking into a new remote, don't want to spend a bundle but I can probably go for 130-150 or so. I've been eyeing the Logitech harmony but I'm not sure. Can anyone make some reccomendations? I really would like to go back to one remote again ;) Thanks

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, I'm currently using an Harmony 688 with my SA dvr and I love it. One remote and very little button pushing. It has replaced nine other remotes and made using my system much easier.
Programing it is fairly simple and intuitive and done via the web with no discrete codes to worry about. I did need to teach it some commands and set up some custom buttons but the process is pretty straight forward
on the ocassions when I have needed help the support from Harmony has been outstanding.
The more I ask it to do the more I am pleased with the way it performs. I have not tried to use it for set up functions on
the TV, reciever or DVD player but it would probably work and those adjustments are so infrequent it isn't really an issue.
It is a little hard on batteries. I go through a set about every 6 to 8 weeks depending on how much I use the back light.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

If you're not averse to a little digging on your computer, it may be really easy to make the little OneForAll work perfectly for you. Check out the many "JP1 Remote" resources.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Radio Shack has a very good backlit remote for $15 that will do what you need.

Very good battery life
Backlight
Learning Capability
Up to 8 Devices
Good Range

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
You can probably get the OFA working by using advanced codes + maybe some JP1 hacking, instructions at www.hifi-remote.com

But if you want a more sophisticated remote with LCD labels for special keys, in the

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
I have an MX-700 which I love. It's definately at the higher end of hard-button remotes, but I got mine for about $170 over a year ago, and never regretted it. One of the benefits of the MX series is the buttons with LCD labels so you can add all those strange and unique functions you find on almost every device remote these days. 5 characters per label isn't always quite enough, but it's usually sufficient to get the point across.
Of course there are lots of other options, so I also definately suggest checking out RemoteCentral. A remote is a very personal thing; it has to fit your way of doing things.

Good luck in your search.
-- Dave

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Quick question for you guys, it turns out the remote to my cable box is made by "Universal Electronics". A quick internet search turned up the fact that one of their brand names is One For All. Is it possible that I could somehow program my one for all to the cable box remote? Some of the features worked off the bat but the transport controls didn't but I'm wondering if it's possible. At any rate I'll check out the links posted. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Thanks for the advice guys. I opted for the Home Theater Master URC-100 Unifier for 80 bucks at Tweeter. I was going to get the URC-200 Automater, but it was 50 dollars more (and I'm sure as everyone knows, it seems that when you move to a bigger place you are buying stuff left and right so money is a bit tight at the moment) and the only real draw for me was being able to customize button labels. I don't even have eight devices so I didn't really need the two extra spots and most of the custom buttons I don't use very often and I'd learn them by feel anyway so that wasn't really a big draw for me. so far so good with this one. I'm very happy with it (especially the small one line LCD. I was able to customize one of the function keys to display "XBOX" on it). Anyhow thanks for the advice guys!

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Online, one can get the MX-500 for ~$80-85, the URC-200 for ~$90 (+ ship). So it doesn't really cost a lot more to be able to customize button labels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks